Don't stop now boys

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
I expect the rotation to be Rodon, Gonzalez, Shields, and 2 free agent fliers. I'm pretty confident after hearing Hahn that Fulmer, Lopez, and Giolito will all start at Charlotte.

Charlotte will be fun to follow for the first few months.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Don't they almost have to move Q now too? I know people always feared a Sale injury but if they hold on to Q and he gets injured that simply destroys the entire rebuild plan. The other trade chips are unlikely to bring back half of what Q would and the Sox are in desperate need of position player prospects, especially ones who's timeframe lines up with the window of the new young core.

I think the pitching styles make Sale a much larger injury risk than Q, and even if injured, Q has a much better chance to regain his effectiveness.

Yes, you need to move Q at some point, but there is no rush, let the market convince you to move him. Don't move him now just because you have started the rebuild process, move him when you can net the most talent.

Right now your core is pretty spread out:

ETA 2017 - Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, Burdi, Tilson, Peter

ETA 2018 - Kopech, Collins, Hansen, Adams, Dunning, Fisher, Call, Diaz, Michalzewski

ETA 2019 - Basabe,Nunez, (2017 Rnd 1 pick)

ETA 2020 - Adolofo, Curbelo, Alfaro

I think you can still go out and grab talent at the deadline that would easily fit into that window and along with that have more of a chance to evaluate guys that have a good chance to actually hit their ceilings, especially guys that you are going to be looking at fitting in around 2019.

It feels a little incomplete to me, but I wouldn't want them to rush into a trade if the asking price isn't met. I could see the Sox holding on to Quintana until the deadline if their asking price isn't met during the off season. I think his value will be the same then, and some teams may even be willing to pay more if they're in a dogfight in their division.

I still expect them to make another trade or two and then add some free agents as filler.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
I think the pitching styles make Sale a much larger injury risk than Q, and even if injured, Q has a much better chance to regain his effectiveness.

Yes, you need to move Q at some point, but there is no rush, let the market convince you to move him. Don't move him now just because you have started the rebuild process, move him when you can net the most talent.

Right now your core is pretty spread out:

ETA 2017 - Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada, Burdi, Tilson, Peter

ETA 2018 - Kopech, Collins, Hansen, Adams, Dunning, Fisher, Call, Diaz, Michalzewski

ETA 2019 - Basabe,Nunez, (2017 Rnd 1 pick)

ETA 2020 - Adolofo, Curbelo, Alfaro

I think you can still go out and grab talent at the deadline that would easily fit into that window and along with that have more of a chance to evaluate guys that have a good chance to actually hit their ceilings, especially guys that you are going to be looking at fitting in around 2019.

I keep forgetting about this guy and wouldn't mind him coming up and getting at bats at second if Frazier and/or Lawrie are moved (Lawrie moving to third if/when Frazier is dealt). Looks like he's actually played a lot of position over the past couple of years. Maybe we can groom him into versatile everyday player.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
I think they can stop now and get just as much if not more for their remaining trade assets in July.

The groundwork has been laid with multiple teams so it really shouldn't take very much to get deals done once the teams can come together on the value of the prospects in the deal.

At this point, I think it makes a lot more sense to hang on to Robertson through the first half to rebuild value after his knee surgery. His walk rate was up and HR's, but I feel that was because he was physically adjusting to his injury. I feel like he will be the premier late inning option available once Jansen is signed. I think Colome will be moved fairly shortly as the Rays want to move him at peak value.

Melky is a professional hitter and will fill a gap for some team making a playoff run, Frazier is going to have value as teams identify their weaknesses as the season progresses. There are not many openings right now at 3B for contending teams, so as the season plays out his value will likely increase.

Q's value doesn't change between now and July unless he absolutely is a wreck the first half. The likely top two starters on the market this summer will be Greinke and Q, so I think Q's value will make him the target more in demand.

Abreu is the one piece that still could get moved over the winter. The Mariners, Astros, Rangers, Rockies, Pirates, Yankees, Blue Jays, and Orioles could all be in the market once Trumbo and EE are signed.

Grienke's contract is so cost prohibitive that I don't think he gets traded unless Arizona eats a massive amount of that deal

Let the Grienke deal serve as a warning to any team considering Arrieta / Cueto / any other big ticket free agent...buyer beware

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Current service time per Baseball Reference

Moncada - 31 days

Giolito - 39 days

Lopez - 44 days

If my math skills and calendar reading skills are correct they can be called up on the following dates without reaching 172 days

Moncada - May 15

Giolito - May 23

Lopez - May 28

Looks like a 3 way tie for the AL ROY to me.

Call me crazy but isn't this year about being absolutely f***ing terrible and finishing with the 1st pick? I'd rather see none of those guys. At worst, maybe for the last month of the year.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 07:36 AM)
Call me crazy but isn't this year about being absolutely f***ing terrible and finishing with the 1st pick? I'd rather see none of those guys. At worst, maybe for the last month of the year.

Player development is more important than the first pick. If any of these guys appear MLB ready then by all means they should be up. It's going to take time for these guys to become ready and then it's going to take time for them to acclimate to the majors. I'm not saying speed up their timelines, just don't inhibit them in an effort to draft one player with the highest pick. The development of many far out ways the drafting of just one player. I hold alot of value in that first pick but still not as important as developing what is already in the farm.

Losing games is a part of rebuilding with youth so the Sox are likely to have a high draft pick in '18 anyway.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
Player development is more important than the first pick. If any of these guys appear MLB ready then by all means they should be up. It's going to take time for these guys to become ready and then it's going to take time for them to acclimate to the majors. I'm not saying speed up their timelines, just don't inhibit them in an effort to draft one player with the highest pick. The development of many far out ways the drafting of just one player. I hold alot of value in that first pick but still not as important as developing what is already in the farm.

Losing games is a part of rebuilding with youth so the Sox are likely to have a high draft pick in '18 anyway.

Agreed. Its possiblenthey struggle when they come up. Its very likely calling them up this season is going to make mich of an impact.

The Sox will definitely make a bunch more moves between now and opening day. I'm confident that Quintana, Robertson, Frazier, & Jennings will all be dealt in the next month. I'm far less certain on Jones, Melky, & Gonzalez. I think the price for Jones will be sky high and they might feel that making him our closer in 2017 will help us realize that value. I don't see there being a huge market for Melky right now and he might be better served as a trade deadline chip. And assuming Quintana goes, I could see them less inclined to move Gonzalez right away. The one guy I don't think gets moved this offseason is Abreu. His value would increase significantly if he put up 2H 2016 numbers in 1H 2017. So overall, I see us making another four or five trades between now and opening day.

Unless the plan is to keep him until he retires, which could be possible, I think the Sox have to trade Abreu before the season starts. If they dump Frazier and Melky, there is zero motivation for the opposition to ever throw him a strike. Unless he accepts that he is going to walk 150 times, his numbers are going to drop because he is going to to swinging at a lot of crap.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
The Sox will definitely make a bunch more moves between now and opening day. I'm confident that Quintana, Robertson, Frazier, & Jennings will all be dealt in the next month. I'm far less certain on Jones, Melky, & Gonzalez. I think the price for Jones will be sky high and they might feel that making him our closer in 2017 will help us realize that value. I don't see there being a huge market for Melky right now and he might be better served as a trade deadline chip. And assuming Quintana goes, I could see them less inclined to move Gonzalez right away. The one guy I don't think gets moved this offseason is Abreu. His value would increase significantly if he put up 2H 2016 numbers in 1H 2017. So overall, I see us making another four or five trades between now and opening day.

I would prefer the sox sell off Q and Gonzalez, jones and robertson and just tank the season for the #1 pick in 18 in Seth Beer and also afford them the ability to load up on vets to flip at the deadline and keep all the young arms service time down. Something like the following below

Rodon*

Shields

Holland*

Covey

Anderson*

In a perfect world Shields regains his form and is traded along with a healthy Holland and Anderson and Covey doesn't get destroyed at the major league level, while Fulmer, Giolito and Lopez trickle in to replace them after the trade deadline or DFA.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
I would prefer the sox sell off Q and Gonzalez, jones and robertson and just tank the season for the #1 pick in 18 in Seth Beer and also afford them the ability to load up on vets to flip at the deadline and keep all the young arms service time down. Something like the following below

Rodon*

Shields

Holland*

Covey

Anderson*

In a perfect world Shields regains his form and is traded along with a healthy Holland and Anderson and Covey doesn't get destroyed at the major league level, while Fulmer, Giolito and Lopez trickle in to replace them after the trade deadline or DFA.

#TankForBeer

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 07:36 AM)

I find this line of thinking comical. I was and remain all for the Sox rebuilding, and to this point, they've traded 2/3 of their most valuable assets. But let's not forget this team is owned by Jerry Reinsdorf and that the team has tried to win for the lionshare of the past 20 seasons. Yes, they've turned a page - and they needed to - but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the Sox hold onto Q, Abreu, Robertson, Frazier and Melky and actually field a half ways decent lineup. Maybe sign a Colby Rasmus and a Pedro Alvarez and still see what their record looks like in June. The chances that team is anywhere near .500 is slim, but crazier things have happened. If they suck, they can trade all those aforementioned players. If they're hanging around, they can insert a Moncada into the lineup; a Giolito and Lopez into the rotation and see where they are in the latter half of July.

I don't expect this team to be any good next year, but I am still going to rooting for wins. I hope they go sign some guys to 1 year deals who could perhaps be turned into something next summer.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a few more trades that make 2017 looks much more bleak. Remove 1 or 2 of Melky, Abreu or Frazier and that lineup gets real ugly.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Unless the plan is to keep him until he retires, which could be possible, I think the Sox have to trade Abreu before the season starts. If they dump Frazier and Melky, there is zero motivation for the opposition to ever throw him a strike. Unless he accepts that he is going to walk 150 times, his numbers are going to drop because he is going to to swinging at a lot of crap.

Agree but I'm starting to think they won't trade Frazier or Melky until the July 31 trade deadline, if at all.

I'd like to see them continue. I don't think what we have on the farm will get us over the proverbial hump. There is simply not enough PROVEN positional talent down there. I am definitely not upset about the hauls we have gotten so far, but I am in the contingency that feels we desperately needed offense and didn't remotely get enough of it.

So from that standpoint, I don't feel like this "rebuild" is a success yet on paper. Doesn't take away anything from the guys we have gotten, the reality is that we all are well aware of the lack of hitting/positional talent this organization has produced. I'm not sold on Tim Anderson being a superstar as some of your hope he becomes or feel he is. I don't care about his efforts in season 1. As I mentioned in another thread, we've seen Beckham, Dayan, Josh Fields, etc all come up and have solid halves that first year. The league will make adjustments, and TA will need to as well. From an eye-test perspective, the ball jumps. Can't deny it. But he needs to improve any way you slice it before he is considered a WS team centerpiece. Right now, I think he'll be a very good starter, but I don't think the expectation should be that he an Moncada are going to be the Bryant/Rizzo or Correa/Altuve combo that other teams have.

That means, you need those kind of pieces in your organization. I don't foresee the Sox spending 300 million to go get a Machado (or more for Harper). That's a pipe dream for an organization that isn't known to commit to a players like that. So, ultimately, we aren't going to be where we want to be or where the hope of this rebuild will put us until you get more.

Keep dealing. Sign some guys. Deal some more if they pan out. Draft well. When the time comes, some of these guys are up and we see what we have, package some guys from your rebuilt farm and acquire talent (preferably young controllable) where you're lacking. That is my hope for this.

My feeling is the Sale Eaton deals were the easy part. Theoretically trading Q should be easy too if the Sox settle which they will not do. Someone will cave amongst the contenders. Patience is key.

Right now I think the 2 most likely to be moved before the season starts are Q and Robertson. Even with Robertson moving . I'm not sure the Sox make Jones the closer. Right now he is way more valuable than Robertson but if kept making him a closer could screw with his value. I prefer keeping him in his comfort zone.

Melky could be an effective DH for the Sox if guys like Engel, May, Coats , Liriano or Tilson play the outfield.

I'd be surprised if Abreu is moved, There's just still too many 1B types out there that aren't moving yet. Plus I like the idea of Abreu chatting it up with Moncada during the spring. I think they have similar hitting styles where spraying the ball all over the field is important to them. Plus Abreu provides pop which will be sorely lacking in the lineup. A team that doesn't hit HR's even if they are bad is a very boring team .

Frazier, again, not much of a market for 3rd basemen . He needs to hit for higher average and get his OBP higher. He hits way too many pop ups and struck out way too much. If he can adjust to the AL in his 2nd year he'd be more valuable.

The Sox are going to be bad in 2017 regardless if the remaining pieces are moved before the season starts. Just how bad they are depends on who else gets moved and who the Sox sign to replace them. The rest of the winter should be fun if their remaining MVP's ( most valuable pieces ) bring the Sox what they covet. If they don't then the trade deadline in July will have to do.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
Frazier, again, not much of a market for 3rd basemen . He needs to hit for higher average and get his OBP higher. He hits way too many pop ups and struck out way too much. If he can adjust to the AL in his 2nd year he'd be more valuable.

I think Frazier would make sense for the Mets since you can't count on David Wright anymore/he should be moved to first anyway. But other than them, I have no idea who wants him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
I think Frazier would make sense for the Mets since you can't count on David Wright anymore/he should be moved to first anyway. But other than them, I have no idea who wants him.

Yeah, I think Frazier is going to be moved at the deadline when some team finds their 3B under performing or with a season ending injury. The Braves or Giants could still make some sense, but I think they will wait to see what they have this season before giving up prospects for someone like Frazier.