President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
So you literally just made a list of excuses for why you would vote against your best interests, while questioning why people would vote against their best interests. It happens all of the time with the political system we have in place.

So you basically want no unions, no regulations on the financial services industry...what is an acceptable ratio of CEO to mid-level management salary to you, then?

You honestly think all the wealth accruing to the Top 3-5% of Americans is going to have a happy ending for America?

And who are going to be the customers for all your products if you've almost completely hollowed out the middle class and the majority of blue collar/labor jobs have been replaced by quantum computers, robotics and algorithms?

The defense industry/military industrial complex?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
So you basically want no unions, no regulations on the financial services industry...what is an acceptable ratio of CEO to mid-level management salary to you, then?

You honestly think all the wealth accruing to the Top 3-5% of Americans is going to have a happy ending for America?

And who are going to be the customers for all your products if you've almost completely hollowed out the middle class and the majority of blue collar/labor jobs have been replaced by quantum computers, robotics and algorithms?

The defense industry/military industrial complex?

lmao, way to totally miss the point here, but nice list bro.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
lmao, way to totally miss the point here, but nice list bro.

If you did answer honestly, you would be tarred and feathered, like yesterday's "discussion."

Although one is left to wonder if Trump had told the electorate exactly what he was really planning to do...if they still would have voted for him regardless. What does that say about America, and especially the broken political system where by 2020 nobody will trust either party to do anything for the middle class.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)
If you did answer honestly, you would be tarred and feathered, like yesterday's "discussion."

Although one is left to wonder if Trump had told the electorate exactly what he was really planning to do...if they still would have voted for him regardless. What does that say about America, and especially the broken political system where by 2020 nobody will trust either party to do anything for the middle class.

Non sequitor because yet again, you missed the point.

People.Vote.Against.Their.Self-Interests.All.Of.The.Time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
So you literally just made a list of excuses for why you would vote against your best interests, while questioning why people would vote against their best interests. It happens all of the time with the political system we have in place.

No, I gave my thoughts on your response. Maybe my definition of what is in my best interest is different than yours. Sorry, maybe what I meant to say is that i dont understand why people vote against what is best for the greatest amount of people. I am autistic, forgive me for not seeing gray areas where they may exist.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
The reason you see this is because no person is fully represented by one party. It isn't a buffet where you can pick and choose your candidates positions one by one. It is more like your cable company where your options are Bundle A or Bundle B, even though you hate 90% of the channels in each bundle.

Its a decent analogy, except your choice of cable may also affect your friends ability to choose a provider or even be able to have a provider at all. The two party system blows, and the people trotting up there are awful. Now, in this case, many republicans hoped that Trump wouldnt be the guy he was on the campaign trail when he got into office, and that his staff would be competent enough to enact conservative policies that they believed in. Being that he turned out to be bats*** crazy with an almost inept staff, you are left holding the bag.

Myself, I am a fiscal conservative but with a very liberal social agenda. I have yet to find ANY party that believes in what I believe in. You then have to choose if you think social issues or your own wallet are more important based on what we are presented today. Its f***ing terrible.

Kessler claimed the city’s police failed to follow through on plans for protecting the rally that they had discussed with him. He also said that during planning for the rally, one police captain divulged to him that (Charlottesville) authorities were communicating about the event using their personal emails to avoid Freedom of Information Act requests.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...-victims-215489

Out of 292 Republicans in Congress, as of this afternoon, 12 had condemned the president's defense of Nazis and white supremacists as "good people" by name/specifically. A number of others denounced racism without saying why or referencing the President. Only 12 of 292 said that yesterday was unacceptable. Couple more, including Kasich, have similarly used his name but would not be counted as Congress.

Paul Ryan is touting his upcoming tax reform.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/ste...macy/index.html

Bannon calls white supremacists "clowns"

Of course, his favorite book of all-time and one he's distributed to numerous admin officials is this one (we know EXACTLY who "they" are by now):

The Camp of the Saints (Le Camp des Saints) is a 1973 French novel by author and explorer Jean Raspail. The novel depicts a setting wherein Third World mass immigration to France and the West leads to the destruction of Western civilization. Almost forty years after its initial publication, the novel returned to the bestseller list in 2011.[1]

Raspail has said his inspiration came while at the French Riviera in 1971, as he was looking out at the Mediterranean.

“What if they were to come? I did not know who "they" were, but it seemed inevitable to me that the numberless disinherited people of the South would, like a tidal wave, set sail one day for this opulent shore, our fortunate country’s wide-gaping frontier."[2]

The name of the book comes from Book of Revelation, the Biblical end of the age:

In number they are like the sand on the seashore. They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints, the city He loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Camp_of_the_Saints

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 09:49 PM)
Out of 292 Republicans in Congress, as of this afternoon, 12 had condemned the president's defense of Nazis and white supremacists as "good people" by name/specifically. A number of others denounced racism without saying why or referencing the President. Only 12 of 292 said that yesterday was unacceptable. Couple more, including Kasich, have similarly used his name but would not be counted as Congress.

Paul Ryan is touting his upcoming tax reform.

I think it would be perfectly ok to have the US CounterTerrorism team Hack the Klan and Nazi servers. I wonder how many GOP members in state and national legislature are among their ranks. Honestly, I think that is the only reason it hasn't been done yet, because they are afraid of what they will find.

Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell(AKA Yertle the Turtle) have already been on my s*** list for a long time. By not denouncing the president's statement, saying that they disagree but only saying that Nazis are against American values, they have crossed into CYA territory. They have also given a de facto endorsement of the Klan and Nazis in my eyes. They needed to come down hard on der Trumpenfuhrer(He has now earned that title, as he has crossed into Moronika territory) But they are cowards. May they go down with Trumpenfuhrer.

More on Moronika

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Nazty_Spy!

Edited by Jack Parkman

Conservative Take: By leaving Trump's panel, CEO's made things worse

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/opinions/ceo...lein/index.html

Trump and Race, Decades of Fueling Divisions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/tru...m=.860f135a2d46

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s personal lawyer on Wednesday forwarded an email to conservative journalists, government officials and friends that echoed secessionist Civil War propaganda and declared that the group Black Lives Matter “has been totally infiltrated by terrorist groups."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/polit...WT.nav=top-news

The email forwarded by John Dowd, who is leading the president’s legal team, painted the Confederate general Robert E. Lee in glowing terms and equated the South’s rebellion to that of the American Revolution against England. Its subject line — “The Information that Validates President Trump on Charlottesville” — was a reference to comments Mr. Trump made earlier this week in the aftermath of protests in the Virginia college town.

"You cannot be against General Lee and be for General Washington,” the email reads, “there literally is no difference between the two men.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/08/16/...R-master675.jpg

7 things Lee and Washington had in common

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 03:53 AM)
Conservative Take: By leaving Trump's panel, CEO's made things worse

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/opinions/ceo...lein/index.html

Trump and Race, Decades of Fueling Divisions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/tru...m=.860f135a2d46

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s personal lawyer on Wednesday forwarded an email to conservative journalists, government officials and friends that echoed secessionist Civil War propaganda and declared that the group Black Lives Matter “has been totally infiltrated by terrorist groups."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/16/us/polit...WT.nav=top-news

The email forwarded by John Dowd, who is leading the president’s legal team, painted the Confederate general Robert E. Lee in glowing terms and equated the South’s rebellion to that of the American Revolution against England. Its subject line — “The Information that Validates President Trump on Charlottesville” — was a reference to comments Mr. Trump made earlier this week in the aftermath of protests in the Virginia college town.

"You cannot be against General Lee and be for General Washington,” the email reads, “there literally is no difference between the two men.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/08/16/...R-master675.jpg

7 things Lee and Washington had in common

Interestingly enough, Jo(h)n Dowd was the white, right-handed version of Barry Bonds in MVP 2005.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/03...-games/jon-dowd

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
Its a decent analogy, except your choice of cable may also affect your friends ability to choose a provider or even be able to have a provider at all. The two party system blows, and the people trotting up there are awful. Now, in this case, many republicans hoped that Trump wouldnt be the guy he was on the campaign trail when he got into office, and that his staff would be competent enough to enact conservative policies that they believed in. Being that he turned out to be bats*** crazy with an almost inept staff, you are left holding the bag.

Myself, I am a fiscal conservative but with a very liberal social agenda. I have yet to find ANY party that believes in what I believe in. You then have to choose if you think social issues or your own wallet are more important based on what we are presented today. Its f***ing terrible.

I think that liberal social agenda and fiscal conservative party you are looking for is called the Democratic Party.

This is who Trump is supporting against Fake Jeff Flake

Kelli Ward, an Arizona state senator and ardent Trump supporter, failed in her bid last year to unseat Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. Last month, following McCain’s brain cancer diagnosis, Ward said he should step down “as quickly as possible” — and that she would gladly take his seat for the remainder of his term.

“John McCain is a fighter and an American hero,” Flake responded in a statement. “I’m dumbstruck by Kelli Ward’s comments.”

Ward shares some similarities with Trump, including flirting with fringe theories. In 2015, Ward also stirred controversy when she said she had no opinion about “chemtrails,” the conspiracy theory that airplanes, at the direction of the government, are releasing dangerous chemicals into the air in order to change the weather.

“Help President Trump drain the swamp and elect Dr. Kelli Ward,” the message on her campaign’s website reads.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/toxic-trump-goes...-124531707.html

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
I think that liberal social agenda and fiscal conservative party you are looking for is called the Democratic Party.

Considering GOP trade policy looks like it was cobbled together by Pat Buchanan and Lou Dobbs...with a shot of Stephen Minions Miller for good measure.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Making an enemy out of Lindsay Graham should work out well for Drumpf

When Graham bravely releases more statements before voting for Trump's next birther judge and to fund his border wall I'm sure the President will be very offended.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Why is the removal of statues considered changing history? Trump realizes those people still exist in history if their monument is removed, right? In things called...books?

Surprised he would support statues of legit losers.

Robert E. Lee actually was against statues, Confederate flag flying after Civil War, etc.

“It’s often forgotten that Lee himself, after the Civil War, opposed monuments, specifically Confederate war monuments,” Jonathan Horn, a Lee biographer, told PBS.

After the Civil War, Lee received a number of letters requesting support for the erection of Confederate memorials, according to Horn.

In June 1866, he wrote that he couldn't support a monument of one of his best generals, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, saying it wasn't "feasible at this time."

"As regards the erection of such a monument as is contemplated," Lee wrote in December 1866 about another proposed Confederate monument, "my conviction is, that however grateful it would be to the feelings of the South, the attempt in the present condition of the Country, would have the effect of retarding, instead of accelerating its accomplishment; [and] of continuing, if not adding to, the difficulties under which the Southern people labour."

Not only was Lee opposed to Confederate memorials, "he favored erasing battlefields from the landscape altogether," Horn wrote.

He even supported getting rid of the Confederate flag after the Civil War ended, and didn't want them them flying above Washington College, which he was president of after the war.

"Lee did not want such divisive symbols following him to the grave," Horn wrote. "At his funeral in 1870, flags were notably absent from the procession. Former Confederate soldiers marching did not don their old military uniforms, and neither did the body they buried."

“His Confederate uniform would have been ‘treason’ perhaps!” Lee’s daughter wrote, according to Horn.

"Lee believed countries that erased visible signs of civil war recovered from conflicts quicker,” Horn told PBS. “He was worried that by keeping these symbols alive, it would keep the divisions alive."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/robert-e-lee...-220734970.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
Why is the removal of statues considered changing history? Trump realizes those people still exist in history if their monument is removed, right? In things called...books?

We should have been mad at Iraqis for tearing down the Saddam statue. Very sad.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)

Well, a lot more people agree with him than not and people have an intense attachment to status quo.

Those same people won't have patience for the nuanced discussion of how these statues went up half a century after the civil war in response to civil rights advances. How they often explicitly were put up to establish white dominance of the community. Or about how neighbors in their community feel when they have to walk by a statue of Judge Taney before walking into a courthouse, author of the most awful majority opinion in United States history.

They know the statues have been there and, after all, it's just history.

But that history is f***ed. The civil war history I learned in the suburbs of illinois was so sanitized in the same ways these statues were intended to sanitize history.

It's the same crap. The handwringing over the march to the sea. Same playbook we see know. "Well of COURSE slavery is bad, we all agree on that, but the north wasn't so perfect either!". And it works like a charm.

And further it is such a terrible thing that we are so familiar with Taney's name and I happen to run into knowledge like this about Benjamin Robbins Curtis, much like the author of the article who runs into a modest plaque for him.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/polit...urtis-memorial/

He wrote the dissenting opinion in Dred Scott, demolishing the opinion with all of the moral clarity we would recognize today. Some were RIGHT back then, and commemorated much less than those who were wrong. He resigned from the court he was so disgusted. He took risks for his beliefs.

He wasn't rewarded and was much less remembered in history. He has no great statue I'm aware of before a government court house.

He then led the articles of impeachment against Andrew Johnson. Huge figure at the time, marginal years later. But oh, so glad I can riddle off Confederate generals off the top of my head.