Robertson to WASH was close, now at stalemate

Whisox05

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
I doubt the Nats trade Robles for anyone. They would have for Sale but he'll be their CF in 2 years when Harper leaves.

Right. If I have a top ten outfield prospect and am possible to lose one of the best outfielders in the game in 2 years, I'm not trading him for an over 30 reliever and a questionable starter. I'm getting some big time MLB help or holding him.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 02:58 PM)
Severino is fine. We gain in that we get a very likely MLB level catcher. But he'd also very likely be a catcher we constantly want to upgrade over. Wouldn't mind a higher upside guy.

I feel the same, Severino is fine but if everything breaks right hes a back up on this team with Collins. I would prefer the sox eat as much of the contract to get the best package. If the nats have such a weak bench as well I would include Lawrie as it opens up spots for some final looks at Sanchez and Davidson once Frazier is moved.

if the sox eat no money I would expect Erick Fedde + Tyler Watson if the sox include a healthy amount of money I don't see why Robles couldn't be on the table.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
I feel the same, Severino is fine but if everything breaks right hes a back up on this team with Collins. I would prefer the sox eat as much of the contract to get the best package. If the nats have such a weak bench as well I would include Lawrie as it opens up spots for some final looks at Sanchez and Davidson once Frazier is moved.

if the sox eat no money I would expect Erick Fedde + Tyler Watson if the sox include a healthy amount of money I don't see why Robles couldn't be on the table.

Hm maybe. Zimmerman is very injury prone and another injury to him would let Murphy slide over to first.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)

I see no way the Nats move Robles when his timeline fits in with Harper's departure via free agency in two seasons

Sox would be willing to eat salary and come to an agreement, but they are also weighing what is offered now with the potential offers they can get at the deadline

If they aren't getting at least a top 100 prospect plus another piece in return I would pass on a deal. We could likely get more at the deadline. Make the Nats pay up.

Doubtful Robertson nets Fedde in a trade and no chance of Robles so that leaves Kieboom as the best starting point. Severino would give the Sox another catching option. Wouldn't mind snagging Cole as an option for the #5 spot. Cole couldn't be worse than watching Shields.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
Doubtful Robertson nets Fedde in a trade and no chance of Robles so that leaves Kieboom as the best starting point. Severino would give the Sox another catching option. Wouldn't mind snagging Cole as an option for the #5 spot. Cole couldn't be worse than watching Shields.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:09 PM)
I can't see Washington giving up any more pitching above all else.

Yeah, Fedde is their last high-profile pitching prospect and I can't really seem him being moved under any circumstance. I think Kieboom is about as good as you can do in a Robertson trade without eating the vast majority of his contract (would still need to eat some though). If he's not available, I'd do a trade like what Y2Jimmy proposed. Nothing wrong with getting a couple far off, but high ceiling assets for Robertson.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:24 PM)
Yeah, Fedde is their last high-profile pitching prospect and I can't really seem him being moved under any circumstance. I think Kieboom is about as good as you can do in a Robertson trade without eating the vast majority of his contract (would still need to eat some though). If he's not available, I'd do a trade like what Y2Jimmy proposed. Nothing wrong with getting a couple far off, but high ceiling assets for Robertson.

Juan Soto is a nice piece, perhaps along with severino?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 08:56 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get him for Robertson, but I just don't see it happening. At least not for the money I'd imagine we'd be willing to give up.

If we can't get at least Soto, why trade him to the Nationals at all? I'd rather shop him at the deadline

I don't know if this has been posted or not but this guy HAS actually scooped 2 stories this offseason, so he might know something...

Sean Sears ‏@sean_sears6 9h9 hours ago

More

#Nationals are playing it close to the chest with closer trade talks, a source of mine was told they were "exploring all options"

Obviously that doesn't change anything, but he might be someone to watch on twitter if his source has info about Nats.

I don't know if this has been posted or not but this guy HAS actually scooped 2 stories this offseason, so he might know something...

More

#Nationals are playing it close to the chest with closer trade talks, a source of mine was told they were "exploring all options"

Obviously that doesn't change anything, but he might be someone to watch on twitter if his source has info about Nats.

[/q

No that's guy a clown with no real Sources.

Edited by peavy44

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 01:59 AM)

More

You could probably say that about every team. Who doesn't explore everything?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 08:35 AM)
When I saw the name I knew it looked familiar. When I went to his twitter account and saw "Sports Mockery" I remembered why I knew him lol

I laughed when I saw all the articles saying the issues were coming from the Nationals side, who do not want to absorb salary or move prospects for Robertson.

I don't see a deal happening unless they cave

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:59 AM)

More

Exploring all options is usually code for doesn't like the market prices, so they are thinking about something unconventional. That could mean a lottery ticket, or a trade for someone that no one is talking about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
Exploring all options is usually code for doesn't like the market prices, so they are thinking about something unconventional. That could mean a lottery ticket, or a trade for someone that no one is talking about.

For a team with world series aspirations the next two seasons, not having a proven backend of the bullpen can be a major issue.

Say they roll with Treinen and Kelley as 8th and 9th inning options. That leaves them concerningly thin in the event one of them goes down with an injury.

Bullpen issues could derail what is otherwise a championship caliber roster for the Nationals. I think they tried to get cute and have been burned by the market, now they might be forced into overpaying

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
For a team with world series aspirations the next two seasons, not having a proven backend of the bullpen can be a major issue.

Say they roll with Treinen and Kelley as 8th and 9th inning options. That leaves them concerningly thin in the event one of them goes down with an injury.

Bullpen issues could derail what is otherwise a championship caliber roster for the Nationals. I think they tried to get cute and have been burned by the market, now they might be forced into overpaying

Agreed. They way overplayed their hand. They had a multitude of options and let them all go by. Now they have to get Robertson or they'll be burdened with a shaky bullpen for the beginning part of the season.