Spring Training notes thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Yup, one of the reasons him getting booed at Soxfest a few years back really bothered me.

He's bad though, like real bad.

I can't boo guys like Avi. It is one thing for a guy to just not be good at baseball, but it is quite another for them to be lazy, a bad teammate, a horrible person, etc. Save the ire for those kinds of guys.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
All usual BS ST fluff stories aside Avi Garcia looks much better than he has in the past. I saw two pictures of him and he looks great. Someone told me if he sucks or doesn't make the team it's not for lack of effort. I think he sucks and the Sox should have cut ties last year but he does seem to have a lot of fans in the org. The guy works. Gotta respect him for that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
I can't boo guys like Avi. It is one thing for a guy to just not be good at baseball, but it is quite another for them to be lazy, a bad teammate, a horrible person, etc. Save the ire for those kinds of guys.

Yeah, I like both of these posts. He's not what we hoped he'd be, but man, he works hard. I still remember his second season here, when he was out for the year with an injury, but he worked his ass off to get healthy and back into shape before returning in August or September.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
All usual BS ST fluff stories aside Avi Garcia looks much better than he has in the past. I saw two pictures of him and he looks great. Someone told me if he sucks or doesn't make the team it's not for lack of effort. I think he sucks and the Sox should have cut ties last year but he does seem to have a lot of fans in the org. The guy works. Gotta respect him for that.

Always has been a hard worker and great guy, just can't get that baseball thing down too well.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Although the advanced metrics scream otherwise, I still have faith that Avi can turn into a decent 2 WAR player annually. Late bloomer who is a post-hype sleeper

Unless his defense magically improves this is a pipe dream. He's never going to hit enough to produce 2 WAR at DH.

I like Avi, he's a hard worker, stays out of trouble off the field, seems like a good guy -- but he's not good at baseball.

That said, I hope like hell he turns into a 2 WAR player. One less hole to fill.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
Scott Merkin Verified account

‏@scottmerkin

Rodon on Narvaez: "I like the way he sits back there. Sometimes the way the catcher sits back there kind of appeals to certain pitchers.”

I hope he will be getting the majority of the starts. I think he has earned that chance

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)

When we were contending / attempting to contend a year ago, i thought he had no business on the roster. Given our current construction and the fact that I at least think he has tools (doesn't mean that he will maximize those tools), I am in the camp that I'd rather give him at bats vs. someone like Bourjos. Odds are the switch never flips but Garcia works his tail off and has a lot of natural tools. It is too bad he is so god awful defensively as that is really what makes him so hard to salvage (and I don't see those metrics changing...which means for him to be very productive, he'll have to crush it).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 06:27 AM)
Reading this article, it says "He also got into better shape, dropping from 268 pounds to 258 at the start of Spring Training." Like it's such a huge difference lol

Then you must have also read that he wants to finish spring training at 248.

As one of Avi's strongest supporters I am pretty sure I had a post suggesting he lose some weight so I'm glad the Sox and him came to the same conclusion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
White Sox TalkVerified account‏@CSNWhiteSox 9m9 minutes ago Under-the-radar Reynaldo Lopez impressing White Sox: 'He's got some stuff' - http://ift.tt/2kJ1FwZ #WhiteSoxTalk

I think Lopez has a very low bust chance. Worst case (other than injury to his shoulder or elbow) I think he'll have a 10 year career as a 4th starter type. I'm pretty hyped on him. I like what I've seen on video and on his Fangraphs page.

Edited by chitownsportsfan