White Sox Request Waivers on Lawrie

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
I guess I was expecting the immediate impact of a hitter like Benintendi for Chris Sale.

I am not concluding that Moncada was over hyped but I am starting to wonder if he will turn out to be as good of a player as his rating as a number the number one prospect in baseball.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox...ying_to_be_more

If he was ready to contribute at a high level in the pros right away (like Benintendi, Swanson or Bregman) they wouldn't have traded him. Red Sox have a void on offense without Big Papi and I'm guessing if Moncada showed he was ready last year, he'd be playing third right now and we'd be having the same discussion about Devers or Robles.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
I guess I was expecting the immediate impact of a hitter like Benintendi for Chris Sale.

I am not concluding that Moncada was over hyped but I am starting to wonder if he will turn out to be as good of a player as his rating as a number the number one prospect in baseball.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox...ying_to_be_more

Benintendi and Sale had three years of college experience before they were drafted whereas Moncada was a 19 year old kid with raw talent coming out of Cuba. Huge difference. Let's keep in mind he's just 21 years old at AAA. He's doing just fine.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
Same needs to be done with Avi now before his contract becomes guaranteed.

He's making $3 million, still has talent, is 26 years old, and the Sox don't have a ton of outfield depth. They have quite a few middle infielders that they can use right now. Lawrie was excessive. Garcia really is not. There's no harm in giving him at bats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)

Makes me think he couldn't pass a physical or is stil a ways from playing. Considering he was close then got worse several times, maybe it wasn't the orthotics.

Maybe he over trained.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
Because you disagree?

How do you know that Moncada will hit for average and power like Benintendi?

No, because you were expecting a 21 year old AA player to start on a rebuilding MLB team. Even if he were in Boston, he'd be in the minors to start the year.

And how do you know for sure that Benintendi will hit for average and power? From his whopping 34 MLB games?

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
Because you disagree?

How do you know that Moncada will hit for average and power like Benintendi?

From my own observations and research, Benintendi seems more like a 20/20 guy but with doubles and a higher average. He doesn't seem have the look of a true power hitter. Maybe I'm wrong on that, I've been wrong before.

Moncada seems to have better power than that. Eric Longenhagen gave him a 60 for raw power, which translates to approximately 30 or so homers a year during his prime. Whether he ever develops the hit tool to the point that he's hitting for a high average has yet to be seen, but Moncada hitting .250 with good power is still an incredibly valuable player.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 8, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
No, because you were expecting a 21 year old AA player to start on a rebuilding MLB team. Even if he were in Boston, he'd be in the minors to start the year.

And how do you know for sure that Benintendi will hit for average and power? From his whopping 34 MLB games?

If only there was a young player like that who did that before.