White Sox have "set" Luis Robert market

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 01:37 AM)
I still don't understand how people are blindly in love with Seth Beer.

what? He has an .462 obp and 1.084 OPS in his true freshman age season. That's after putting up .535/1.235 in what should have been his HS senior season. He's on pace to hit nearly as many HR as he did last year. His college BB:K rate is 104:49! I understand the argument to not take him #1 overall, but I'm not sure how people are "blindly" in love with him. If you mean we don't get to see him play often, yes that's true, but the same can be said for every amateur. I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't be in love with him, even if he's a 1b

he has 30 HR total in NCAA in 346 AB, compared to 42 HR in 637 ABs for Zack Collins in the same conference

Edited by daa84

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
Scott Merkin @scottmerkin

now

Major League source confirms to MLB.com that the White Sox will be going to watch Luis Robert this week.

Scott Merkin @scottmerkin

now

Both executive vice president Ken Williams and general manager Rick Hahn will be in attendance. Team did not confirm report

Kenny is going in person. It is now officially serious.

For those who have missed it, here it is:

link

RMR

1:07 Am I missing something with these reports of the White Sox being in on Robert? Seems like they would be less likely considering they're the only of the rumored teams to have not blown their pool amount already.

Eric A Longenhagen

1:07 They're on him and have more or less set the market at this point

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
Kenny is going in person. It is now officially serious.

Yep. My impression of when Kenny goes is not the "let's get final word if he's good enough" it's the "let's make sure he knows that our whole org believes in him and are serious about competitive offers and hope it gives us an advantage"

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 06:23 AM)
what? He has an .462 obp and 1.084 OPS in his true freshman age season. That's after putting up .535/1.235 in what should have been his HS senior season. He's on pace to hit nearly as many HR as he did last year. His college BB:K rate is 104:49! I understand the argument to not take him #1 overall, but I'm not sure how people are "blindly" in love with him. If you mean we don't get to see him play often, yes that's true, but the same can be said for every amateur. I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't be in love with him, even if he's a 1b

he has 30 HR total in NCAA in 346 AB, compared to 42 HR in 637 ABs for Zack Collins in the same conference

This isn't true about Beer and it's a common misconception. He left HS early to enroll but he was still a 19 year old freshman. He's a 20 year old Sophomore right now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
Yep. My impression of when Kenny goes is not the "let's get final word if he's good enough" it's the "let's make sure he knows that our whole org believes in him and are serious about competitive offers and hope it gives us an advantage"

Plus Kenny Williams seems to be the best scout in the entire system. He seems to have the role of final crosschecker for any large outlays. He did it for both Abreu and Viciedo for sure.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
This isn't true about Beer and it's a common misconception. He left HS early to enroll but he was still a 19 year old freshman. He's a 20 year old Sophomore right now.

Yeah, he left HS early but is still the same age (within 4 days) as a sophomore as I was when I was a senior.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
huh? pretty much everyone I went to school with was a 19 year old freshman.

Yeah you turn 19 your freshman year lol you can have your bday early September/very beginning of the school year and bam...you're a 19 year old freshman.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
I was 17 for my first few weeks of college. It really sucked too cause you had to be 19 to get into Carbondale bars so I didn't get into the bar scene a lot my freshman year.

Same thing for my brother as well. He went to SIUC and his birthday is mid-August and he literally went back to school like a week or two before he turned 18 haha growing up where we did, the cutoff for the school years was Sept 1.

Edited by soxfan2014

Was listening to the Kanny game today and had nightmares the Sox wouldn't pull the trigger on Robert because of Micker Adolfo being "just a guy" in Low A ball 4 years after he signed.

Obviously, comes down to scouting. Jimenez has done extremely well for the Cubs, he was #1 in his class and Adolfo #2 in his.

By now, we should be able to start combing through those MLB lists from 4-5 years ago and seeing how many of those INTL Top 20 guys are doing better than expected, on course, or have fallen behind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Was listening to the Kanny game today and had nightmares the Sox wouldn't pull the trigger on Robert because of Micker Adolfo being "just a guy" in Low A ball 4 years after he signed.

Obviously, comes down to scouting. Jimenez has done extremely well for the Cubs, he was #1 in his class and Adolfo #2 in his.

By now, we should be able to start combing through those MLB lists from 4-5 years ago and seeing how many of those INTL Top 20 guys are doing better than expected, on course, or have fallen behind.

Robert is a better overall prospect than Adolfo at this point. Sox can't let one bad int'l free agent signing from years ago change their pursuit of another player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)

To be fair, he was 16 when he signed.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 08:29 PM)
Not a lot outside of what's online but I do have common sense. And that says a 19 year old who already 205lbs, is probably not done filling out yet and he'll probably lose a step or two once his body finishes maturing. So while he might be able to play center field now, he's probably a right fielder in the bigs.

6.15 speed says he can lose a step or 2 and still have plenty of range in CF.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Is Cespedes a fair player comp for Robert?

Speaking of Cespedes, what do scouts say about his 19-year old half brother, Yoelkis? Is he expected to come over in the next Amateur International signing period? If so, is he someone we could maybe persuade to sign at $300k if we go over in the current period on Robert?

I'm just asking because I don't know much about him.

Edited by soxfan2014