Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

Yeah but you also dont want to stretch out starters when you have a big lead because your pen sucks. You also don't want to screw up team morale. If you did your job well at work but a few coworkers kept screw up so the projects fail at the end you'd be pissed. It's only human nature to get frustrated when others blow your great work time and time again. It's only a matter of time before that locker room starts to breakdown.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah but you also dont want to stretch out starters when you have a big lead because your pen sucks. You also don't want to screw up team morale. If you did your job well at work but a few coworkers kept screw up so the projects fail at the end you'd be pissed. It's only human nature to get frustrated when others blow your great work time and time again. It's only a matter of time before that locker room starts to breakdown.

They will stand pat until the deadline and then make a move that comes at the most reasonable cost to their organization. Why surrender a to prospect now when you can wait and see what might be on the market in a few weeks?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
They run the risk of burning out their effective guys like Romero and Albers while waiting for a closer

There are a LOT of risks they are running right now.

Burning out existing pen guys, burning out starters, screwing with team chemistry, etc.

The commonly held belief that Hahn fleeced Rizzo with the Eaton trade plays in the background and might impact future trade talks between them. You know, the old fool me once...In addition the Yankees, Red Six and a few other teams can offer plenty of mid level prospects if that is all Rizzo will put on the table.

All comes down to JR wanting cost savings (to offset Robert bonus) or best possible prospects for Robertson, Frazier (lesser extent), Holland, Shields and Cabrera.

Logic would say they get best possible deal for Robertson (being flexible on cash subsidy), but who knows how it will break. Would the Rangers, for instance, push all cards in and keep Darvish and acquire Robbie? What about the mental health situation in TOR with Osuna?

Do Giolito and Lopez struggling make it easier for Rizzo, or harder because Dunning looks better than anyone expected as third piece (compared to, say, Basabe)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 04:11 AM)
All comes down to JR wanting cost savings (to offset Robert bonus) or best possible prospects for Robertson, Frazier (lesser extent), Holland, Shields and Cabrera.

Caulfield with all due respect Frazier, Holland, Shields and Cabrera are not going to bring anything. MAYBE an NL team that needs a pinch hitter would take Frazier, maybe. Think about it. You are a contender you make the trade and these guys show up. You really are going to immediately insert Frazier, Cabrera into the lineup and shields or Holland into the rotation? That could be immediate buzzkill and send a team reeling.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)
Caulfield with all due respect Frazier, Holland, Shields and Cabrera are not going to bring anything. MAYBE an NL team that needs a pinch hitter would take Frazier, maybe. Think about it. You are a contender you make the trade and these guys show up. You really are going to immediately insert Frazier, Cabrera into the lineup and shields or Holland into the rotation? That could be immediate buzzkill and send a team reeling.

If I were a team in contention, I'd have no issue inserting Melky into my lineup.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)

I don't get the Melky hate. Yeah, he's not great defensively, but why would a team not want a guy who's batting .285 with 9 HRs and 47 RBIs? Putting him in a lineup of a contender would NOT be a buzzkill and send a team reeling. He could be a great addition to team that needs a corner outfielder that can swing a bat. I don't imagine the Sox would get a big return, but to say he's worthless is just dumb.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 11:09 PM)
The commonly held belief that Hahn fleeced Rizzo with the Eaton trade plays in the background and might impact future trade talks between them. You know, the old fool me once...In addition the Yankees, Red Six and a few other teams can offer plenty of mid level prospects if that is all Rizzo will put on the table.

The Red Sox would not want Robertson. They have Kimbrel . I thought they would have interest in Jones before he got hurt as a set-up but Joe kelly has emerged in that role.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)

I would have thought that belief was long gone, since Giolito and Lopez have pretty much sucked this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2017 -> 09:56 PM)
During the Nats game tonight, Buster sure made it seem like Robertson to Nats has no chance of happening due to Robertson's stock being higher

It also kind of sounded like the failure of the deal at the ownership level night have nuked any good will there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
It also kind of sounded like the failure of the deal at the ownership level night have nuked any good will there.

It would surprise me if THAT was the thing that ruined relations between us and Rizzo ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
It would surprise me if THAT was the thing that ruined relations between us and Rizzo ;)

I don't know what I think about it, but that was clearly being inferred by Olney last night as he talked about the Nats and Robertson last night.

I think the problem with the trade from the Nats perspective is that they traded for a player that they didn't really need; they had OFs and while they needed a better CF, Eaton's only an average CF defensively. He was elite in RF. Couple that with paying full price for Eaton, and you get some dissatisfaction. They arguably paid above full price, but considering that they were frustrated with Giolito, in their metrics, it's seems full, not excess.

I don't know if they will do another deal with the Sox - doesn't matter that much as long as they keep looking for pen help - that maintains market demand.

Plenty of teams need a reliever. Robertson won't cost THAT much - certainly not an elite prospect. But he could help any contender - he has shown he can pitch multiple innings and multiple days in a row.

Nightengale reported months ago that Sox were sending Robertson and a chunk of the contract to Washington for 3B Drew Ward and LHP Jesus Luzardo. It fell through because Ted Lerner (2nd richest owner in MLB) is cheap. It's easy to see what might have happened here. Sox want to eat X and get those players in return. Nats want Sox to eat Y and take same players. I doubt this deal happens. Robertson has been really good this year. While I want the Sox to eat $$ on deals in order to receive better prospects in return, I don't really think it should be necessary to eat much of Robertson's deal. You should get prospects for him while someone else takes on the $$. It's not that bad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
I don't know what I think about it, but that was clearly being inferred by Olney last night as he talked about the Nats and Robertson last night.

Very interesting....so we are certain that the Nats' owner was the one who killed it?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
Nightengale reported months ago that Sox were sending Robertson and a chunk of the contract to Washington for 3B Drew Ward and LHP Jesus Luzardo. It fell through because Ted Lerner (2nd richest owner in MLB) is cheap. It's easy to see what might have happened here. Sox want to eat X and get those players in return. Nats want Sox to eat Y and take same players. I doubt this deal happens. Robertson has been really good this year. While I want the Sox to eat $$ on deals in order to receive better prospects in return, I don't really think it should be necessary to eat much of Robertson's deal. You should get prospects for him while someone else takes on the $$. It's not that bad.

I mean if there is value to be had from us eating it (basically, it paves the way for a top 100 prospect), we should eat it.

However, if teams want us to eat and take back their middling prospect, f that.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 3, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
I think the problem with the trade from the Nats perspective is that they traded for a player that they didn't really need; they had OFs and while they needed a better CF, Eaton's only an average CF defensively. He was elite in RF. Couple that with paying full price for Eaton, and you get some dissatisfaction. They arguably paid above full price, but considering that they were frustrated with Giolito, in their metrics, it's seems full, not excess.

I don't know if they will do another deal with the Sox - doesn't matter that much as long as they keep looking for pen help - that maintains market demand.

Plenty of teams need a reliever. Robertson won't cost THAT much - certainly not an elite prospect. But he could help any contender - he has shown he can pitch multiple innings and multiple days in a row.

You are ignoring their baseball people agreed to the trade. Ownership blocked it due to money. They also had basically agreed to a contract with Greg Holland until ownership blocked it due to a performance based option.

It has nothing to do with the Eaton trade. No one knows how that trade will work out. You could say the Sox screwed them, but that's all talk at this point.