Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
Technically you're correct until they don't have that big lead. I get you're being sarcastic but still correct.

Eh, any move they make is going to be for October. They could probably win the division with you and I closing. But in the playoffs they will need guys like Robertson.

Having watched Robertson for 2 1/2 years...still not even 100% convinced how certain I would be about him in the playoffs. Definitely not in any tie game. With Miller, you know you're in trouble no matter what the game situation. Would depend on a perfectly balanced workload being possible for him.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
You and me both. If I'm hoping to win a World Series, he's not my closer. Maybe a set up man.

Eh, he's not the dominant guy he was in his prime with the Yankees but he's still one of the top 10 closers in baseball. His xFIP is 3.17 and he's striking out as many guys as he ever has despite having some control and command issues. Perhaps from not being used often enough.

You can easily win a world series with Robertson as your closer. He's tied with Houston's Ken Kiles in xFIP and fWAR and the Astros probably feel good enough about their closer to not worry. Among pitchers tossing over 20 innings Robertson is 40th in xFIP.

Again, he was really dominant in New York, arguably the best closer in the game. Now that he's merely "very good" isn't really a problem.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
Yeah, you CAN win with a lot of things. 15 blown saves since he's been here. I have PTSD from him.

Roberson is likely the best available proven closer on the market right now. Hand is solid, but he won't come cheap either.

The Nationals need two impact bullpen and and the White Sox could certainly provide that.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)
Eh, any move they make is going to be for October. They could probably win the division with you and I closing. But in the playoffs they will need guys like Robertson.

Well I know that by my point was that they haven't quite hit the urgency to make the move for an arm due to their lead.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 06:50 PM)
Well I know that by my point was that they haven't quite hit the urgency to make the move for an arm due to their lead.

The division sucking is one thing, but not adding substantial relief help would be a major problem for the nats me

That pen of not playoff worthy.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Again...I know...

Well you continue to post the same thing, despite the fact that the team and the manager are clearly frustrated.

We all f***ing know they don't have to do anything. Guess what? There is no rule that says you have to try to win in professional sports, ever.

The point is that even watching from the outside, you can see the facade is starting to show signs of stress due to their bullpen blowing nearly every. single. game.

But yes, we all know, they do not have to do anything.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 17, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Well you continue to post the same thing, despite the fact that the team and the manager are clearly frustrated.

We all f***ing know they don't have to do anything. Guess what? There is no rule that says you have to try to win in professional sports, ever.

The point is that even watching from the outside, you can see the facade is starting to show signs of stress due to their bullpen blowing nearly every. single. game.

But yes, we all know, they do not have to do anything.

I never said they didn't have to make a move to win post season. Go back and look. That was never the point I was trying to make. They don't have to do anything...yet. They can wait for more teams to fall out of contention and more options to be available. 10 game lead in standings...they'll wait a bit.

Edited by soxfan2014