How would you rank Renteria so far?

ron883

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 23, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
I expect better out of an admin. I guess I was wrong.

Rick is a good choice for what the team is going through right now...rebuilding. No real pressure.

It remains to be seen if he'll still be the manager say in 2020 assuming the Sox are good.

That will be a decision the organization will have to make, if they think Rick is a guy who can take a team over the top or simply be the caretaker for the near future to be replaced by someone else.

There are coaches who for whatever reason have a good track record but just can't get over the hump. Jerry Sloan with the Jazz immediately comes to my mind in this regard.

Edited by Lip Man 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
Give it a rest man. Going after people really isn't going to make people not disagree with you any less.

I'm just messing around. I brought those jokes upon myself with my stubbornness and hardheadedness. Just not a big Abreu fan and I think he is grossly overrated around here. His demi-god status is reaching trump levels. It's ridiculous.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 23, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
I'm just messing around. I brought those jokes upon myself with my stubbornness and hardheadedness. Just not a big Abreu fan and I think he is grossly overrated around here. His demi-god status is reaching trump levels. It's ridiculous.

That's fine and you're entitled to that opinion, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to post "the sky is falling" type threads every time he slumps.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 24, 2017 -> 12:16 AM)
uhhh....yeah...this bunting crap is getting to be junior high level crap now. I get fundamentals and all...but c'mon man....

The other thing about Renteria is this...he is huge on defensive shifts. What's the best way to beat the defensive shift? Well a well-placed bunt on the 3rd base side of the field is tough to defend when your third baseman is standing on 2nd base. SO...from his perspective, when he sees teams in shifts on OUR hitters, his mind might be more apt to put the bunt on, because that's the play he's fearing when he puts his defensive shifts on.

If those mostly pull/power hitters could execute bunts with a 75% success rate, they'd have to eventually adjust but it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge...at least not on a consistent basis.

Feel bad Davidson hit into a key DP in what might be his only at-bat of the series, With a huge opportunity to impress his former organization. Probably trying too hard.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
If those mostly pull/power hitters could execute bunts with a 75% success rate, they'd have to eventually adjust but it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge...at least not on a consistent basis.

Feel bad Davidson hit into a key DP in what might be his only at-bat of the series, With a huge opportunity to impress his former organization. Probably trying too hard.

Davidson has been absolutely fine. I have no idea if he's a true talent 240/290/500 hitter that can play average defense at 3B in MLB, but he's given the team .4 fWAR and that is amazing given his prior problems.

Anyways STOP f***ING BUNTING SO MUCH.

Ugh. Renteria pissed me off last night. That said, he does so many things better than RV late inning wise. PH Narvaez was absolutely the right call even though he struck out. So was PH Avi. The Sox just didn't execute the simple task of making contact but I love how he forced the D-Back to load the bases.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
If Renteria is a bunt guy, get rid of him as soon as the team gets good again. Bunting is proven hazardous to a team's chances of scoring.

I'm not a fan of the bunt either, but this might have to do with the fact that not a lot of guys can execute the bunt correctly--a fundamental issue.

QUOTE (FT35 @ May 25, 2017 -> 06:07 AM)
I'm not a fan of the bunt either, but this might have to do with the fact that not a lot of guys can execute the bunt correctly--a fundamental issue.

Maybe that's why he's bunting so often. I'm sure he knows that this team is going nowhere for the next couple of seasons and he's trying to not only instill some fundamentals, but determine who he can count on to lay down a proper bunt when the games start to matter.

It could also be a method of determining which players they would prefer to trade or keep for when the team does get good.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
Maybe that's why he's bunting so often. I'm sure he knows that this team is going nowhere for the next couple of seasons and he's trying to not only instill some fundamentals, but determine who he can count on to lay down a proper bunt when the games start to matter.

It could also be a method of determining which players they would prefer to trade or keep for when the team does get good.

I think ST is a much better place to have bunting drills than in a regular season game.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)
I'm worried that the bunting will persist even when this team is good. Renteria just loves bunting, he always has.

With the Cubs, he also was criticized with the way he ran the bullpen. He has had a couple of questionable decisions, but so far he's been OK there. Of course when the bullpen is getting guys out, you will always look good.

He's certainly not some guru, but the players seem to like him, so he'll be OK. If the White Sox ever get to where they want to be, they won't have many guys in the line up where bunting is even a thought. That may be why he is so bunt happy now. We'll see.

He seems to have a lot of energy and I think that the players could feed off of it. Robin seemed like he didn't have a pulse most of the time and looked like he needed to be waken up a few times in the middle of the game. Also love that he gets in a player's face right away after the player makes a mistake and teaches him as opposed to waiting until after the game (Hawk said that is how Robin handled it).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)
With the Cubs, he also was criticized with the way he ran the bullpen. He has had a couple of questionable decisions, but so far he's been OK there. Of course when the bullpen is getting guys out, you will always look good.

He's certainly not some guru, but the players seem to like him, so he'll be OK. If the White Sox ever get to where they want to be, they won't have many guys in the line up where bunting is even a thought. That may be why he is so bunt happy now. We'll see.

But if he bunts with guys like Cabrera/Abreu, what would stop him from ordering bunts from the prospects?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
But if he bunts with guys like Cabrera/Abreu, what would stop him from ordering bunts from the prospects?

They have not the best offense. Not a lot of power. He's trying to win, and eek out runs. If they have a line up that is potentially stacked, it might be different. Maybe not, but if he bunts too much with really good hitters, he won't have the opportunity for very long.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 25, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)

As it has been for years, I think the pen and pitching usage is pretty much up to Cooper.