2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Wait until High Schools and Colleges start getting sued. Then things will change really quickly. The reason why people think it will live is money, and the reason why I think it will die is money. The problem is that in all likelihood, everyone who sees the field, or practices football, suffers a concussion at some point during every game and practice. If you start having to take kids out if there is any question of whether they are ok or not, then games will no longer be playable because youth teams will run out of players before the end of a game. Too much liability going forward, especially as more knowledge and research comes out.

I don't think there will be that many lawsuits. I deal with injuries at the high school and Colleges on a daily basis. Other than a few deaths on the field I have yet to be involved with a lawsuit.

Why would this condition be any different?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
I don't think there will be that many lawsuits. I deal with injuries at the high school and Colleges on a daily basis. Other than a few deaths on the field I have yet to be involved with a lawsuit.

The fact that we are even talking about young men dying on the field is reason enough to, you know, entertain the thought that maybe humans shouldn't play football?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)

It wont.

Soccer has a ton of concussions as well, no one even talks about it.

Not to mention most of the money is in lawsuits for players from the past. Any new lawsuit would have to show that the team/Dr let someone play while they had a concussion.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
With this receiving Corps, I don't even know if Tom Brady would lead us too far. I do think with a very good QB we are a playoff team. Our defense is good, our oline (when / if it gets healhty is good), RB is solid, but the WR / TE position are so weak (hopefully Simms bounces back and shows something with Trubisky in and we see developments from Shaheen) that it is just so darn difficult to move the ball. Defense needs to create turnovers for us to win games (and offense needs to protect the ball, win time of posession, and wear down the other team.

They haven't given up a lot of yards, but the bears right now are the 8th worst scoring defense in the NFL. Interestingly, their numbers are within 1 yard of identical to Cleveland.

I would also bet that the yards given up has something to do with the inept offense - you don't need to drive 80 yards against the Bears down the stretch when you're up 14 and if the Bears punt from the 10 you don't have to drive 80 yards to put points on the board, but no obvious signs in the stats of this being a "good" defense to me. Low turnovers, giving up a lot of points, opposing teams score on 40% of their drives (7th worst).

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
The fact that we are even talking about young men dying on the field is reason enough to, you know, entertain the thought that maybe humans shouldn't play football?

Humans die doing pretty much anything. The question is about risk.

Rock Climbing, Surfing, Race Car driving, Skiing, Luge all could end in fatalities.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)

Who is dying on the field? The ones I've seen were from some type of congenital anomaly (the one's I've seen were cardiac issues) that probably would have show up during another physical activity.

It had nothing to do with the actual game. There were lawsuits and no consequence because there was no negligence. I could be using the wrong legal terms but you get the idea.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
It wont.

Soccer has a ton of concussions as well, no one even talks about it.

Not to mention most of the money is in lawsuits for players from the past. Any new lawsuit would have to show that the team/Dr let someone play while they had a concussion.

Exactly. If the players are treated properly it won't be an issue.

The issue with the NFL is that they neglected to treat the players properly. Which by the way still occurs. There are lawsuits against teams and team physician's from players about pushing them to play every year. The professional sports is a totally different animal than then others.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
They haven't given up a lot of yards, but the bears right now are the 8th worst scoring defense in the NFL. Interestingly, their numbers are within 1 yard of identical to Cleveland.

I would also bet that the yards given up has something to do with the inept offense - you don't need to drive 80 yards against the Bears down the stretch when you're up 14 and if the Bears punt from the 10 you don't have to drive 80 yards to put points on the board, but no obvious signs in the stats of this being a "good" defense to me. Low turnovers, giving up a lot of points, opposing teams score on 40% of their drives (7th worst).

Ouch. Hard to win that way. but like you said when the offense gives the ball away so often, it gives the other offense a very short field.

Is there a place to find the 5 of touchdowns? Seems to me they hold pretty well against giving up touchdowns even when the other team gets the ball on the bears side of the field so often.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 10:42 AM)
Deonte Thompson cut to make room for Gentry, so it seems like they want him to stick this time. I wonder if he will be returning punts also

I doubt it. He's not a return man. He's pretty much a "9" route guy without an advanced route tree. It's why the other 31 teams aren't interested in him. Cunningham likely returns kicks and Jackson/Cohen stay with PR job.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
With Jackson’s college injury history, have to say I’m not a fan of him returning kicks

Yeah I agree there. He's their best guy back there however. Cohen never returned punts or kicks in college either

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
Let's just say he has a low bar to clear.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Yeah. If the pass hits him in the hands and he actually catches it, he will be one of the better Bears receivers.

I do give you guys a hard time about the Gentry love fest, but the current core does seem to be getting worse every week, so yeah, he doesnt have to do much on the field to be an upgrade.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
I do give you guys a hard time about the Gentry love fest, but the current core does seem to be getting worse every week, so yeah, he doesnt have to do much on the field to be an upgrade.

It's mainly that all of our receivers are very samey. Gentry offers someone whose strength is jump balls when everyone else is just trying to reach their ceiling of basically being Kendall Wright.

It won't matter if Gentry can't get off the line of scrimmage, but the experiment of Wheaton or Thompson as our jump ball deep threats failed.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 07:47 PM)
God that pick hurts. Total reach at a spot where you can get actually get an asset for trading down. Put that next to the Sims signing and the fact that he's only been utilized as a ST player...Ugh.

Shaheen is getting offensive snaps, he is just being used as a blocker instead of a target. But he is definitely getting snaps

5572D403_43E9_4259_96E4_865E37E1B02B.jpeg