2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
You know what worries me about Cooter (Lions OC), the stat that they haven't had a 100 yard rusher in 60+ games. How is that even possible? I truly believe that to win in this league, you need to be able to run the football (especially somewhere like Chicago). It isn't like the Lions haven't invested in running backs (they've draft a decent number of them).

Hire David Shaw and you don't have this problem

Reports are Floyd has a PCL/MCL. i.e. the same injury that cut Urlacher's career short. There is no good surgery for PCL. See Shawne Merriman for a younger guy who was out of the league in 2 seasons after tearing his PCL. This is worse news than an ACL. ACLs can be repaired properly, PCLs can't. :( That is now a 7th and a 9th overall pick in consecutive seasons that has had a career destroying injury. This is going to be pretty hard for Pace to overcome, because ultimately nobody cares whether your 1st rounder got injured and that is why they busted. They just care about results.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
Reports are Floyd has a PCL/MCL. i.e. the same injury that cut Urlacher's career short. There is no good surgery for PCL. See Shawne Merriman for a younger guy who was out of the league in 2 seasons after tearing his PCL. This is worse news than an ACL. ACLs can be repaired properly, PCLs can't. :( That is now a 7th and a 9th overall pick in consecutive seasons that has had a career destroying injury. This is going to be pretty hard for Pace to overcome, because ultimately nobody cares whether your 1st rounder got injured and that is why they busted. They just care about results.

He has an MCL and PCL strain, iirc Urlachers was torn. Everything I have heard today has been positive about this, he obviously isn’t playing again this season but at no point did anyone who discussed this on the score nor did John Fox express any worry that this is a career altering injury

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
He has an MCL and PCL strain, iirc Urlachers was torn. Everything I have heard today has been positive about this, he obviously isn’t playing again this season but at no point did anyone who discussed this on the score nor did John Fox express any worry that this is a career altering injury

Oh he didn't tear it? I thought he did. My bad then. My response was based on that thought.

They said he's still having surgery. I think this depends on the extent of the damage to the PCL. If there is minimal damage there, and most of the damage is MCL, then he's ok. If the PCL is severely damaged, he's not. Obviously we won't know until after he has the surgery.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2150632...ries-for-season

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
Oh he didn't tear it? I thought he did. My bad then. My response was based on that thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports....nt-sprains/amp/

Still gonna need to get some work done on his knee but a lot better news than “total reconstruction”

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)

There have been some advances in recent years. If it's torn in the mid-substance they still really don't have a good surgery. however, if it's closer to one of the ends there is a fairly good chace they could help.

However, as someone else noted most reports are stating sprain not tear. A tear is technically a 3rd degree sprain but it's not usually reported that way.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
There have been some advances in recent years. If it's torn in the mid-substance they still really don't have a good surgery. however, if it's closer to one of the ends there is a fairly good chace they could help.

However, as someone else noted most reports are stating sprain not tear. A tear is technically a 3rd degree sprain but it's not usually reported that way.

So if it is indeed a sprain, should be expect any long-term effects?

Zach Zaidman‏Verified account @ZachZaidman 36m36 minutes ago #Bears announce DB Deiondre' Hall has begun a 21-day practice window for possible return from IR. Hall was picked in 4th round of 2016 draft. He's appeared in 8 games and picked off Matthew Stafford last season for his only career INT. He injured his hamstring in preseason.

I keep seeing the beat guys say if Fox is fired and Fangio isn't named the head coach, he will not be with the Bears next year.

For all you posters who know more about football than I do, if they do get a new DC it really has to be a 3-4 guy doesn't it? Wouldn't going back to a 4-3 screw them up for at least a season or 2?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:36 PM)
So if it is indeed a sprain, should be expect any long-term effects?

No. It should heal fine. However, reports today stated surgery is still possible. This is a cause for concern, depending on what needs surgical intervention.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
I keep seeing the beat guys say if Fox is fired and Fangio isn't named the head coach, he will not be with the Bears next year.

For all you posters who know more about football than I do, if they do get a new DC it really has to be a 3-4 guy doesn't it? Wouldn't going back to a 4-3 screw them up for at least a season or 2?

I would think there is no way they are going back to a 4-3 until Pace is fired, whenever that may be. Floyd/Goldman/Hicks/Trevathan are pretty much 3-4 guys so you don't want your best players on defense to be in a scheme where they are being utilized improperly.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)

They do have depth on the defensive line. They would just need to acquire a true nose tackle. Their linebackers are versatile enough to handle the switch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)

Yep. At this point I can’t see any reason to justify getting ong away from 3-4. If we were about to enter into a rebuild sure, but we should be about to exit a rebuild. I still think Fox gets a raw deal from most bear fans. I can’t think of many coaches who would excel with the hand he was dealt and the approach taken. No one was winning a bunch of games with this roster. Players have developed under his watch and the culture has been good. By no means is he perfect but he’s clearly a solid coach.