Shohei Otani is likely coming to the USA

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
In reference to Southsider and Dick Allen, you're both kind of correct. I've seen those numbers stated as fact and it doesn't really make sense. There are teams with $$ available that can still be traded all the way up to June 15th. For example, the White Sox have a budget of $4.25 million. They spent 600K that is accounted for on 2 players. They traded an undisclosed amount to Arizona and Texas. They could still have $2 million left for all we know. They could theoretically trade that money to a team that has $3 million left and that team would then have $5 million to offer Otani. This is almost impossible to predict until BA releases their International Signing Reviews for every team.

Does the Alex Katz trade with Baltimore factor into this at all?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
In reference to Southsider and Dick Allen, you're both kind of correct. I've seen those numbers stated as fact and it doesn't really make sense. There are teams with $$ available that can still be traded all the way up to June 15th. For example, the White Sox have a budget of $4.25 million. They spent 600K that is accounted for on 2 players. They traded an undisclosed amount to Arizona and Texas. They could still have $2 million left for all we know. They could theoretically trade that money to a team that has $3 million left and that team would then have $5 million to offer Otani. This is almost impossible to predict until BA releases their International Signing Reviews for every team.

The most the White Sox can offer any player despite what they may have in their pool is $300k.

The numbers are what supposedly each team has available at the moment to offer him. Some teams have already spent almost all their money.

It would be interesting to see if trading a huge hunk of the pool money this year may net you more than it would normally. But it would probably be some contingent trade, and I am not too sure those are allowed. If the Sox trading most of their pool money is the thing that puts Otani in a team's uniform, you would have to think it would be worth a couple of really good prospects. Not the lottery picks normally traded for pool money.

Edited by Dick Allen

Why is the attitude here so dismissive of this possibility? Can you imagine if the White Sox did land him and he lived up to the hype? Adding Otani to Rodon, Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Hansen, Collins, Rutherford, Fulmer, Cease, et al would be a coup and I think accelerate the process of the rebuild and extend the timeframe in which we could expect to see results.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:58 AM)
Why is the attitude here so dismissive of this possibility? Can you imagine if the White Sox did land him and he lived up to the hype? Adding Otani to Rodon, Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Hansen, Collins, Rutherford, Fulmer, Cease, et al would be a coup and I think accelerate the process of the rebuild and extend the timeframe in which we could expect to see results.

It would feel like a longshot in every possible way:

1) One of the worst teams in baseball

2) Weren't among the teams originally thought to be interested

3) A team that doesn't have a sexy ballpark, fanbase or history.

What exactly is going to draw him here? Sure it's possible...but it feels like a 1 in 1000 chance at best.

QUOTE (Soha @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:15 AM)

What exactly is going to draw him here? Sure it's possible...but it feels like a 1 in 1000 chance at best.

The fact that the Sox are a team that can offer semi-regular at bats. So could other teams but how many contenders would want to guarantee that?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Soha @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:15 AM)

There are “rumors” he wants to join a rebuilding/non-established team. Look I don’t see it happening, but theoretically if those rumors are true the Sox make a lot of sense. Plus like others have said, we could let him DH most days he’s not pitching, which rules out a bunch of rebuilding clubs. Again, I’m skeptical of all this, but I didn’t think he’d sacrifice millions upon millions to come over as soon as possible and that appears to be the case.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
There are “rumors” he wants to join a rebuilding/non-established team. Look I don’t see it happening, but theoretically if those rumors are true the Sox make a lot of sense. Plus like others have said, we could let him DH most days he’s not pitching, which rules out a bunch of rebuilding clubs. Again, I’m skeptical of all this, but I didn’t think he’d sacrifice millions upon millions to come over as soon as possible and that appears to be the case.

I didn't know of those rumors. I've been so dismissive of this in my head that I haven't really followed it much. So I guess that's good news.

QUOTE (Soha @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 06:56 AM)
I didn't know of those rumors. I've been so dismissive of this in my head that I haven't really followed it much. So I guess that's good news.

Obviously take with a grain of salt, but this kid is clearly a different breed. His ambitions go well beyond the money and if he in fact wants to be one of the greatest, going to a rebuilding team where his impact can be best demonstrated makes some sense.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 05:58 AM)

#1 is that we don't even appear to be trying. We haven't been scouting him at all at his starts.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:15 AM)
Do you really need to go scout a player to see how good he is these days if you already know he is really good?

If you want to make an impression that you want him more than every other team in baseball, the first thing to do would be that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 07:08 AM)
#1 is that we don't even appear to be trying. We haven't been scouting him at all at his starts.

While I agree with this point, I’m not sure it really matters when you’re talking about a player of his reputation and a $300k signing bonus. They’ve certainly seen enough tape of him to confirm that he’s worth $300k. More likely than not though the front office simply doesn’t think he’ll accept such a small bonus when other teams can offer several million more and don’t think it’s worth wasting the time/resources. I think that would be pretty foolish as it’s not like we’re going to have an overly active winter. Defintiely worth the Hail Mary shot IMO.

I don't care what any damn fluff piece article says about Shohei not caring about money. 300k vs 3-8 mil is a HUGE difference, and it is the difference between being financially sound for your entire life. This kid could blow his arm out and then it is over. He won't be coming here for 300k. I'd love to live in fantasy land where it happens, but it aint happening.

However, I think a HUGE indicator of there being a chance would be if the Sox hired Tadahito iguchi. Iguchi is looking to get into the managerial game, and he is beloved by the Sox. Once they sign him to a position, then we can start talking. Until then, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by ron883