Abreu trade "unlikely"

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Putting 20 million yearly on the payroll until 2022 doesn't make a lick of sense. It makes zero sense considering the Sox already control Abreu for two of those five years. It makes negative sense when you consider he's already on the wrong side of 30.

I think two things are true right now:

1) Jose Abreu's value is as high as it's ever going to be trade wise right now, this offseason

2) That isn't a reason to trade him in itself

There's no rush. The Sox are going to have a helluva lot more info about their contention window next offseason. If Jose is on the club and is coming off something like a 290/350/550 year and the club is primed to contend in 2019 and there's payroll available then sign him then. Marginal wins are more important then. Jose Abreu's value to the Sox will be more relative to what it is now.

Would you rather sign Abreu to a 4/5 year deal now or in two years from now? If you feel he can be an important of our next good team (starting in 2019 or 2020), then I’m locking him right now if he’ll take a somewhat team friendly extension. Otherwise, you move him within the next 8 months for the best offer you get. It would be poor asset utilization to hold him until free agency and lose him for nothing. And it would be poor financial planning to lock up Jose for his age 36 & 37 seasons at $20M per when we’ll actually start needing those resources to retain our talent. We really need to make a decision right now.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think if Jose gets moved it’s to the Cardinals or Rockies. Both teams have the chips & the need. Whether they want to give up the necessary prospect currency remains to be seen, but I just don’t see a team like the Red Sox giving up what it will take get him given how weak their system is right now.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
This is the variable we don't know, and what's the most important piece of all of this. I'm going to safely assume the Sox have spoken to the reps of Abreu to see where they stand on an extension. When it comes to Abreu, I agree with the premise that these next two years is NOT the Sox contention window, and if Abreu wants to go to the highest bidder when he reaches FA (which is totally understandable), then maybe the leadership aspect isn't as important as getting a long term piece for Jose.

Because of the age of Avi, I'm in a slightly different camp there.

If there is anyone on this team I don't mind going five years for, it is Abreu. He seems to pretty much be a machine outside of a small amount of time where he was dealing with personal problems.. and Aprils.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)
If there is anyone on this team I don't mind going five years for, it is Abreu. He seems to pretty much be a machine outside of a small amount of time where he was dealing with personal problems.. and Aprils.

5 years from now or 5 years when he's a FA? I don't want them locking up guys in their mid-30's to giant contracts, especially at 1b where the Sox may have a logjam of hitters at.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 02:23 AM)
Throwing some offers out there....

From Red Sox:

3B Michael Chavis (BOS #2, MLB #92), OF Cole Brannen (BOS #9), RHP Bryan Mata (BOS #14)

From Rockies:

3B Colton Welker (COL #4), C Tom Murphy (COL #9), LHP Ben Bowden (COL #16)

If that's the going rate, keep Abreu. I'd want McMahon and Dahl from COL or Rodriguez and Chavis from BOS.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 02:31 AM)
If that's the going rate, keep Abreu. I'd want McMahon and Dahl from COL or Rodriguez and Chavis from BOS.

Only reason I don't want McMahon is because the dude is an absolute butcher with a glove, at least at 3B. 100 errors in 300 something games. He averages about 2 errors a week. We have so many 1B types already. He bat looks really good so far, I can't dispute that, but I would for once love to have a really quality defensive 3B who can also hit.

Dahl or Tapia would be awesome pick-ups from Colorado, I just don't know that they would be willing to move either of them.

extending abreu doesn't really make sense. basically half of the sox hitting prospects are 1B , DH or fringy 3B that might have to shift to first.

even if they never become as good as abreu (which probably is quite likely) still one of them should have more value down the road than abreu in a couple years if you consider decline and salary.

of course they all could fail but honestly if you target Corner Players that much and neither of them makes it your rebuild won't work anyway. some dices just Need to fall your way for a successfull rebuild.

the sox Need one or two of those Corner guys to become at least 2-3 win (ideally of course 3+) Players so they can spend Money on Areas that might Need an upgrade down the road (SS, C, maybe a pitcher or two or CF).

Edited by GermanSock

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 05:34 AM)
extending abreu doesn't really make sense. basically half of the sox hitting prospects are 1B , DH or fringy 3B that might have to shift to first.

even if they never become as good as abreu (which probably is quite likely) still one of them should have more value down the road than abreu in a couple years if you consider decline and salary.

of course they all could fail but honestly if you target Corner Players that much and neither of them makes it your rebuild won't work anyway. some dices just Need to fall your way for a successfull rebuild.

the sox Need one or two of those Corner guys to become at least 2-3 win (ideally of course 3+) Players so they can spend Money on Areas that might Need an upgrade down the road (SS, C, maybe a pitcher or two or CF).

How many of those guys are proven? Can always trade from depth later.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 02:23 AM)

From Red Sox:

3B Michael Chavis (BOS #2, MLB #92), OF Cole Brannen (BOS #9), RHP Bryan Mata (BOS #14)

From Rockies:

No offense, but those are absolutely terrible.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 05:34 AM)

What guys are you referring to? Burger, Sheets, & who? I loved taking a chance on Gillaspie, but he’s closer to bust than a productive major leaguer. I’m not sure who else you’re talking about that would be in this “1B, DH, & fringe 3B” group. And none of those three guys have any impact on my thinking with Abreu, especially when we also have a DH spot to fill long-term. Honestly, the only spot I’d think this way about is corner OF because we’re absolutely loaded there, which is another reason why I’m in favor of moving Avi this offseason.

I think you still have to include collins to that Group as some Scouts think he won't cut it defensively at catcher.

of course neither of them is proven but you have to take some gambles in a rebuild. I mean if you wanted only proven Players you shouldnt have traded sale, q and eaton in the first place.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
I think you still have to include collins to that Group as some Scouts think he won't cut it defensively at catcher.

of course neither of them is proven but you have to take some gambles in a rebuild. I mean if you wanted only proven Players you shouldnt have traded sale, q and eaton in the first place.

Well duh. Except we're not going to trade Abreu without getting a big prospect or two back like each of those deals though. My preference:

1. Trade him for a haul

2. Extend him to a 4-5 year deal

3. Trade him in a deal where you do not receive a top prospect or two

4. Ride out these 2 years and get nothing for him (other than a draft pick)

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)

You take some gambles in a rebuild once players have demonstrated they’re ready for an opportunity at the major league level. Burger & Sheets are a good two or three years away from even entering the equation. Collins is probably a year or so out as well and they’re most likely going to give him some rope and see if he can stick at C. If I want a competive roster by 2019/2020 then I need some certainty in the middle of my lineup along with Jimenez. If Gillaspie somehow proves himself and those other guys are forcing your hand, you can always move Abreu at that time. It’s a good problem to have and one much better than being forced to sign a bat in free agency or trade young players for one out of desperation. Again, let me reiterate that I’m assuming Abreu will agree to a 4/$80M extension.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 03:23 AM)

From Red Sox:

From Rockies:

Both of those offers feel light for Abreu. I'd rather keep him if that was all that was on the table.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Only way I'm moving Abreu (who I hope isn't moved and is here for the long run) is in exchange for Groome, Chavis, and a third piece (not happening)

Maybe it's just me, but I am not all that high on any of the Red Sox current prospects (not considering Devers a prospect anymore). Groome and Chavis each have significant bust risk, and many scouts seem to think Houck ends up in the bullpen.

If I am dealing Abreu the offer would have to be very strong and make sense long term.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Don't know if this was posted here, but Heyman said on the radio yesterday that the Cardinals and Rockies were the other teams who were talking Abreu with us

Jason Martinez of mlbtraderumors had this to say:

"Zamboni

5:44 Flaherty and Sierra get it done for the Cards for Abreu

Jason Martinez

5:45 I'd say one of their top pitching prospects, one of their best OF prospects and maybe one low-level guy with high upside. So Flaherty/Sierra could be in the vicinity of what it would take."

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Jason Martinez of mlbtraderumors had this to say:

"Zamboni

5:44 Flaherty and Sierra get it done for the Cards for Abreu

Jason Martinez

5:45 I'd say one of their top pitching prospects, one of their best OF prospects and maybe one low-level guy with high upside. So Flaherty/Sierra could be in the vicinity of what it would take."

Yeah Magneuris Sierra is a leadoff profile with elite level defense in CF. Flaherty and Sierra would probably be a nice deal for Sox.