Adam Engel

KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 12:46 PM)
I didn't see that at all defensively, and while limited, the defensive numbers don't seem to bear that out either.

Leury isn't close to the defender that Engel is but Leury was well on his way to a 2.5-3 WAR season with 15 homers or so. Engel doesn't dream of being a 3 WAR player in even his best dreams.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 11:35 AM)
Leury has outstanding speed. played as well, if not better, than Engel defensively, hits from both sides of the plate and showed some pop. Everyone else is in line behind him and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Engel is eventually released.

Engel has elite speed. Leury does not.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard

Engel plays elite defense. Leury does not.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catch_probability_leaderboard

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)

Leury is billed as having somewhere around 70 to 75 rated speed.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 11:40 AM)
I agree, but the way I look at it, 2018 is almost like a practice year. Guys like Moncada, Giolito, and Lopez will get "pressure free" starts, that I think will really help them in 2019. I dont think Engel will be a starter beyond 2018, but I would love to see the development withe the bat because the glove is so strong.

Not sure that is true for Moncada. Last year was his pressure free time. He was moved back to his probable future position at 2nd after a really rocky cup of coffee in Boston. Next year's win/loss numbers won't matter but if Moncada really struggles offensively, I think there will be pressure on him later in the year. If he gets 400 AB and his HR/RBI numbers and average are still an issue, I think the fan base will start getting antsy. He will probably be putting pressure on himself as well.

I agree the pitchers get a free ride.

Keep in mind Engel typically takes a while to figure out each level, but definitely gets better at each level with more playing time. He has played a little more than 1/2 season in Charlotte and hasn't fully figured out that level yet. I'm fine with him starting in Charlotte as the everyday CF, let him figure out hitting against better competition, and if improvements are made then call him up when a spot opens.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
Not sure that is true for Moncada. Last year was his pressure free time. He was moved back to his probable future position at 2nd after a really rocky cup of coffee in Boston. Next year's win/loss numbers won't matter but if Moncada really struggles offensively, I think there will be pressure on him later in the year. If he gets 400 AB and his HR/RBI numbers and average are still an issue, I think the fan base will start getting antsy. He will probably be putting pressure on himself as well.

I agree the pitchers get a free ride.

You hit it right on the head.. We, as fans, need Moncada to produce. Especially general fans

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 03:08 PM)

"Is" and "was" don't mean the same thing. Everything you posted has reports from around 2013. You said "Leury is billed as having somewhere around 70 to 75 rated speed". Once again here is data from the 2017 season that shows that you're wrong.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 04:24 PM)
"Is" and "was" don't mean the same thing. Everything you posted has reports from around 2013. You said "Leury is billed as having somewhere around 70 to 75 rated speed". Once again here is data from the 2017 season that shows that you're wrong.

You do realize the difference between scouting and stats right?

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 11:04 AM)

We can twist the stats anyway we want to suit our needs. DRS says Engel was a -1 in CF in in 799 innings while Leury was a +3 in 406 inninngs. Leury had a UZR of 3.4 while in CF Engel 1.5 .

I know Leury's sample size is much smaller in the stats you used and the ones I used.However I don't think, nor do the limited numbers suggest, that Engel is any better than Leury out there. Engel probably is better on fundamentals given he has played CF very often while Leury is fairly new to the position. But since Leury is a better hitter and the defense is not a significant factor it's still Luery's job to lose and it isn't close.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 07:37 PM)
We can twist the stats anyway we want to suit our needs. DRS says Engel was a -1 in CF in in 799 innings while Leury was a +3 in 406 inninngs. Leury had a UZR of 3.4 while in CF Engel 1.5 .

I know Leury's sample size is much smaller in the stats you used and the ones I used.However I don't think, nor do the limited numbers suggest, that Engel is any better than Leury out there. Engel probably is better on fundamentals given he has played CF very often while Leury is fairly new to the position. But since Leury is a better hitter and the defense is not a significant factor it's still Luery's job to lose and it isn't close.

I disagree that it’s Leury’s job to lose. I think it’s either guy’s job to win with Engel slightly ahead due to highlight reel capabilities and years of control. Both are fantastic guys to have on the bench but I’d say the Sox will favor Engel out of the gate in Spring Training. Just a hunch. But I’ve been biased ever since somebody compared him to Trout 3-4 years ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 04:54 PM)
You do realize the difference between scouting and stats right?

I sure do. However, you clearly don't know the difference between "is" and "was" because you will not be able to find anywhere that has Leury "billed as having somewhere around 70 to 75 rated speed".

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:24 AM)
I sure do. However, you clearly don't know the difference between "is" and "was" because you will not be able to find anywhere that has Leury "billed as having somewhere around 70 to 75 rated speed".

That's not really true though. There are tweets out there about Garcia making a catch with an over 29 time, as well as his baseball cube page still listing him as a 93 out of 100 on the speed scale, which would put him at around a 75 speed

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 12:23 AM)
I disagree that it’s Leury’s job to lose. I think it’s either guy’s job to win with Engel slightly ahead due to highlight reel capabilities and years of control. Both are fantastic guys to have on the bench but I’d say the Sox will favor Engel out of the gate in Spring Training. Just a hunch. But I’ve been biased ever since somebody compared him to Trout 3-4 years ago.

Leury Garcia was on his way to a 2.5-3 WAR season last year. Adam Engel is bad at baseball. I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that Engel will be ahead of Garcia.

They'll probably platoon like they did last year with the other coming in as a late inning replacement for Delmonico. Of course, this discussion is moot if Tilson can stay healthy (ok, I couldn't say that with a straight face :D ).

IF Tilson is healthy and there are no further moves:

C: Castillo

1B: Abreu

2B: Moncada

3B: Sanchez (can spot start at 2B)

SS: Anderson

LF: Delmonico

CF: Tilson

RF: A. Garcia

DH: Davidson (some starts at 1B and 3B as well)

Bench

C Narvaez

IF/OF Garcia

OF Engel

With this set up, they can go with an 8th reliever or carry another bench player (Saladino maybe).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 07:46 AM)
They'll probably platoon like they did last year with the other coming in as a late inning replacement for Delmonico. Of course, this discussion is moot if Tilson can stay healthy (ok, I couldn't say that with a straight face :D ).

Bench

C Narvaez

IF/OF Garcia

OF Engel

With this set up, they can go with an 8th reliever or carry another bench player (Saladino maybe).

I wonder what kind of football player AE could have become with his blend of size, speed and quickness Edited by zisk

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 07:46 AM)

Bench

C Narvaez

IF/OF Garcia

OF Engel

If Tilson makes the team, I think they do this

C Castillo

1B Abreu

2B Moncada

SS Anderson

3B Sanchez

CF Tilson

LF Leury

RF Garcia

DH Delmonico

Bench: Narvaez, Saladino, Engel, Davidson

I don't think Engel should make the team out of spring training unless the team's talent evaluators know that his bat has improved greatly in the offseason. His ability to catch the ball, per the best metrics we have available, suggest he is at Buxton's level. The eye test will tell you that too. But his bat is so bad and so very far from being good enough that you need him to hit the ball consistently for a while before you have him play in the majors again. Leury is not the defender, but is very fast — his very small sample of Statcast data on speed does not contradict what has long been reported by scouts about his speed — and showed last year that he can actually hit and defend well enough in CF. It's Leury's spot to lose in my opinion, but for some reason it seems to me that the Sox are not as high on him for some reason.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2018 -> 10:29 AM)
If Tilson makes the team, I think they do this

C Castillo

1B Abreu

2B Moncada

SS Anderson

3B Sanchez

CF Tilson

LF Leury

RF Garcia

DH Delmonico

Bench: Narvaez, Saladino, Engel, Davidson

I like it other than Engel...he needs to be in AAA if he's not starting.

Can that guy we got from the Brewers play CF?