Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

From Sunday's Sun-Times:

Manager Rick Renteria said Moncada didn’t go all-out to the plate, thinking Andrus, fielding Jose Abreu’s sharp grounder to his right, was conceding the run and throwing to first.

“If you’re asking me if he gave his best effort, no he did not,” Renteria said.

• Like 1

Mental error.  He seems surprised how good MLB players are from time to time.  You see the same thing when he doesn't realize how fast the runner is going to 1st when he fields.

This dude is still really raw in a lot of ways, mentally and physically.  I'm starting to wonder what good Rick and Jose are doing as leaders because it's clear that something isn't getting through to him about how you have to play full speed all the time, or at least 99% of the time.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yikes. If he's going on contact, he should just put his head down, and go as hard as he can to home. This shit needs to be cleaned up, or send him back to Charlotte.

Speed of the game seems too fast for him at times. He went from someone who made everything look easy to the opposite.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Speed of the game seems too fast for him at times. He went from someone who made everything look easy to the opposite.

I don't know if it's the speed of the game, or if it's that he just wants style points on every freaking play he's involved in.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don't know if it's the speed of the game, or if it's that he just wants style points on every freaking play he's involved in.

I think he was just shocked Adrus went home.  But he's gotta know that's an elite SS and wtf is the 3rd base coach telling him?  Like, I know this isn't the Pony League but how about the coach tells him that he's got a cannon at SS and on any play in the hole to bust ass home all the way?

Again I'll say that the coaching seems lacking all around on this club.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

LMFAO. You mad brah? Might want to direct your questions to the Sox front office since it was them that decided to bring Moncada up. I do agree that IMHO it was a bit soon but he's here and there's no other choice but to be patient with him. All the b****ing whining and complaining won't make any difference whatsoever. His tools and the flashes of brilliance are more than enough for me to know he'll eventually get it figured out.

No, not mad, "brah." [BTW milennials, why is it "brah," rather than "bro?" The former reads like the chest restrictive device that women wear, while the latter looks more correct to me...]

Full apologies for being a fan. And, you know, for being sick of the cavalcade of failure that is this front office. And no, no one's "b****ing whining and complaining," just pointing out this Front Office's failure. You may like that they've turned a HOF SP in Chris Sale into a walk machine in Kopech and a K machine in Moncada, but for my favorite team, I'd prefer that they stop doing stupid shit.

Beyond the stupid rushing of Moncada, one has to ask what they teach in the system. After all, Moncada's .149 BA as a RHH may be cool for you, but I'm pretty sure we can find a few fat slobs in the stands to be as equally [in]effective as he is. And seeing Collins have to "fix himself" by disregarding any coaching he got makes me doubt that they have any idea of what they're doing. But again, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

No, not mad, "brah." [BTW milennials, why is it "brah," rather than "bro?" The former reads like the chest restrictive device that women wear, while the latter looks more correct to me...]

Full apologies for being a fan. And, you know, for being sick of the cavalcade of failure that is this front office. And no, no one's "b****ing whining and complaining," just pointing out this Front Office's failure. You may like that they've turned a HOF SP in Chris Sale into a walk machine in Kopech and a K machine in Moncada, but for my favorite team, I'd prefer that they stop doing stupid shit.

Beyond the stupid rushing of Moncada, one has to ask what they teach in the system. After all, Moncada's .149 BA as a RHH may be cool for you, but I'm pretty sure we can find a few fat slobs in the stands to be as equally [in]effective as he is. And seeing Collins have to "fix himself" by disregarding any coaching he got makes me doubt that they have any idea of what they're doing. But again, YMMV.

Ha ha, I'm far from being a millennial ( fan since 83). I'll keep this short and sweet. It's a rebuild and these are the things that happen during a rebuild ( see Astros and cubs). Young players struggling at the MLB level is nothing new to the game of baseball. Rebuilding teams playing shitty baseball is nothing new. Front office failures happen to every team. It's out of the fans control so fans can accept it, continue to whine about it or find another team to follow.

You think this is bad now? Most of the Sox talent is still in the minors and will be coming up over the next two or three seasons and will go through the same thing we're seeing now. Better find a way of getting used to this because you'll be seeing more of it over the next few years. Welcome to the rebuild.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is really, really bad.  Ricky’s got to make an example of Yoan for that one.

Sounds like he did. Unless we're told by media or somebody that Moncada is a jerk or is lazy or something like that we have to assume he'll learn from this. He's loafed before but never done that before on a contact play. He screwed up. Do it again and fine him. But until we learn more about him, forgive him and move on.

Just now, BlackSox13 said:

Ha ha, I'm far from being a millennial ( fan since 83). I'll keep this short and sweet. It's a rebuild and these are the things that happen during a rebuild ( see Astros and cubs). Young players struggling at the MLB level is nothing new to the game of baseball. Rebuilding teams playing shitty baseball is nothing new. Front office failures happen to every team. It's out of the fans control so fans can accept it, continue to whine about it or find another team to follow.

You think this is bad now? Most of the Sox talent is still in the minors and will be coming up over the next two or three seasons and will go through the same thing we're seeing now. Better find a way of getting used to this because you'll be seeing more of it over the next few years. Welcome to the rebuild.

"Brah" just looks wrong. No one says "Brahs before hoes," do they? And where does "brah" come from anyway?

That said, I could give not a whit about them "playing shitty baseball" right now. And yes, we all know its a rebuild. IMHO, these points do not need to be mentioned, because we all already know these things, so they're not all that cogent to a discussion.

But it has been a decade since the last division winner, and it has been 17 years since Aaron Rowand came up through the system, and became the last regularly-productive position player to come up from the system that I can remember off the top of my head. [Sure, there was Avi's BaBIP-fuelled lucky 2017, and Beckham's lucky rookie season, but no regularly-productive types of note that I can remember.] 

We as a fandom have been more than patient with this front office. The fastest way to get to winning again is to stop doing stupid things as an organization. You know, make good decisions, instead of bad ones.  If Moncada busts [not saying that he is], it sets this org back by years, IMO. And if they can't get someone as talented as Moncada to be better than a .692 OPS, who CAN they turn into a productive player?

But hey, if you like it, cool. YMMV.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Hate comparing front offices of Cubs and Astros with Hahn and company. Theo and Luhnow.  Those two came to their current organizations highly accomplished with Boston/StL.  Meanwhile Hahn has been less than impressive during his tenure with the Sox. He's done nothing to illustrate he knows how to build a contender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

"Brah" just looks wrong. No one says "Brahs before hoes," do they? And where does "brah" come from anyway?

That said, I could give not a whit about them "playing shitty baseball" right now. And yes, we all know its a rebuild. IMHO, these points do not need to be mentioned, because we all already know these things, so they're not all that cogent to a discussion.

But it has been a decade since the last division winner, and it has been 17 years since Aaron Rowand came up through the system, and became the last regularly-productive position player to come up from the system that I can remember off the top of my head. [Sure, there was Avi's BaBIP-fuelled lucky 2017, and Beckham's lucky rookie season, but no regularly-productive types of note that I can remember.] 

We as a fandom have been more than patient with this front office. The fastest way to get to winning again is to stop doing stupid things as an organization. You know, make good decisions, instead of bad ones.  If Moncada busts [not saying that he is], it sets this org back by years, IMO. And if they can't get someone as talented as Moncada to be better than a .692 OPS, who CAN they turn into a productive player?

But hey, if you like it, cool. YMMV.

When I said bruh I was mocking it. Honestly I don't where the hell it came from :lol:

I don't disagree with you that's it's been forever that the Sox have relevant. I was tired of all the failures in drafting and free agent signings as well. For me it all changed when Hahn was put in charge of this rebuild and when the Sox revamped their scouts and coaches. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and so far I like what they've done in scouting, drafting and the trade returns. Still think the coaching leaves something to be desired, well alot to be desired really.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hate comparing front offices of Cubs and Astros with Hahn and company. Theo and Luhnow.  Those two came to their current organizations highly accomplished with Boston/StL.  Meanwhile Hahn has been less than impressive during his tenure with the Sox. He's done nothing to illustrate he knows how to build a contender.

Not so much comparing. Just showing that these are teams that went through lengthy rebuilds and an angry fanbase during those years.

Hahn had a mess that was left for him to clean up. The years of retooling on the fly, horrible draft scouting and draft signings left him almost nothing to build from in the minors. If it wasn't for Hahn getting Sale, Q and Eaton signed to extremely team friendly contracts this team would be even more fucked than they currently are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Not so much comparing. Just showing that these are teams that went through lengthy rebuilds and an angry fanbase during those years.

Hahn had a mess that was left for him to clean up. The years of retooling on the fly, horrible draft scouting and draft signings left him almost nothing to build from in the minors. If it wasn't for Hahn getting Sale, Q and Eaton signed to extremely team friendly contracts this team would be even more fucked than they currently are.

Agree with everything you say here

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

You have owned this thread. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

They are F***** for the time being. It's only my opinion but less than a year from now things will look a lot brighter. I'll admit it is going to be a long year.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You have owned this thread. 

Thanks man. Truth be told I remember when the trades began and the rebuilders were happy( myself being one of them), a certain Soxtalk member said something that stuck with me and keep reminding myself of. It was something along the lines of that this rebuild will take some time due to the time it takes to develop young minor league talent and then even more time to develop them in the majors. That poster speculated it could be 2021or later before they become competitive again due to the talent being so young and far away from the majors. Care to take a guess who it is? ;)

13 minutes ago, zisk said:

They are F***** for the time being. It's only my opinion but less than a year from now things will look a lot brighter. I'll admit it is going to be a long year.

Yeah I agree dude. It will get better with each year bringing in more top talent and the youth gains experience. I do feel for us fans because one thing we can all agree on is we want our team to win.