Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m going to guess it’s Gio, to be announced tomorrow

Gio to the Sox almost seems obvious at this point. Β No way they enter the season with Banuelos as the 5th starter if they feel any degrees of confident they land a whale and we’re quickly running out of options.

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

If Gio is a soxfest surprise they really need to hold back the announcement or dont announce it there.

To add to the conspiracy though, a big surprise announcement at an event that ends up being a buzzkill. Β Gio Gonzalez has the initials GG, and so did the Gobbledy Gooker.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Who would be excited about Gio? Have to remember that while at end of career Lofton was a big name.

I don’t think it qualifies as a big β€œSoxFest” type announcement per se, but I think diehards would be excited to see him pitch for the White Sox finally after all these years & two tours with the Sox.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

To add to the conspiracy though, a big surprise announcement at an event that ends up being a buzzkill. Β Gio Gonzalez has the initials GG, and so did the Gobbledy Gooker.

I'd be first in line for the Turkeys autograph.

I remember one year they announced changing the name of Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field. Why they chose Soxfest and thought they would be happy about it...I dont know.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I remember one year they announced changing the name of Comiskey Park to US Cellular Field. Why they chose Soxfest and thought they would be happy about it...I dont know.

Did they get booed?

7 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Didn’t they pair it with saying the money went toward stadium improvements at same time though? Maybe it was after

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, if we somehow land Joc, we must have a ton of confidence in our ability to sign Machado because it would effectivelyΒ take us out of the Harper sweepstakes. Β That’s a fairly dangerous spot to be in IMO. Β Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

How so? Β You still don't have a legit RF

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, if we somehow land Joc, we must have a ton of confidence in our ability to sign Machado because it would effectivelyΒ take us out of the Harper sweepstakes. Β That’s a fairly dangerous spot to be in IMO. Β Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Why would it take us out of the Harper sweepstakes?

Jon Jay signed on at a 4th outfielder rate. Eloy is the only legit MLB outfielder that has to start on the roster right now.

I would say it's nearly impossible that they sign both Harper and Machado, so them being out on Harper has more to do with them being the favorites for Machado, but I don't think Joc has any impact on it.

Just now, bmags said:

Didn’t they pair it with saying the money went toward stadium improvements at same time though? Maybe it was after

They did.Β  We were in line waiting to go in on the Friday when they announced it.Β  There wasn't a backlash.Β Β 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think so at all. Eloy/Joc/Harper works just fine. Robert is due up when Joc leaves. Daniel PalkaΒ is a DH. Yonder Alonso isnt blocking anyone.Β 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

How so? Β You still don't have a legit RF

Β 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why would it take us out of the Harper sweepstakes?

Jon Jay signed on at a 4th outfielder rate. Eloy is the only legit MLB outfielder that has to start on the roster right now.

I would say it's nearly impossible that they sign both Harper and Machado, so them being out on Harper has more to do with them being the favorites for Machado, but I don't think Joc has any impact on it.

Β 

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don’t think so at all. Eloy/Joc/Harper works just fine. Robert is due up when Joc leaves. Daniel PalkaΒ is a DH. Yonder Alonso isnt blocking anyone.Β 

Lol...I rescind my statement. Β You guys are right, we could definitely add both of them. Β I still think Joc makes more sense to supplement a Machado addition, but it wouldn’t take us out of the Harper sweepstakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't think it is. None of the other Barstool Chicago guys tweeted anything. In fact, one of them replied asking if it was Joc.

I'm pretty confident saying if it wasn't Sox related, he would have said that. Β He's not out to troll Sox fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Really? Semien's defense was better than Anderson's substantially last year, Anderson's numbers last year were good following a really bad season, I said "he's one of the better defensive SS in the league", and that's not ok but saying that Anderson's defensive development is a feather in the cap for the White Sox is ok?

Fine, Anderson's defensive development is a feather in the cap of the White Sox and the A's have the whole bleeping bird.

I'm saying the UZR/DRS metrics have a wide range of uncertainty (a guy with, say, a +5 UZR/150 may have been playing with a true talent of -3 UZR/150 and just got lucky/on a hot streak/benefited from errors in the metric). And if you take the longer view of the numbers for these two players, they aren't obviously different. For instance, Steamer projects Semien to be slightly worse defensively than Anderson in 2019.

The reason I raise Anderson as a positive example of the White Sox's development is because Anderson was by most reports completely raw and bad in college and the low minors but as a major leaguer is somewhere between competent and good defensively. I'm looking at the value added by the White Sox coaching staff, who took a player with limited experience and at one point a sub-90% fielding percentage player in the minors and helped him become a legitimate MLB shortstop.

Are there anyΒ decent hitting, good defensive center fielder veterans, whom are owed a lot of money, on teams which are not ready to compete? If there is someone who could replace Engel, until Robert is ready, for not much more than taking on a big contract, that might be preferable to trading for 2 years of Pederson. As long as they're not owed money beyond a couple of years, they might be a perfect 2 year rental.