Zack Wheeler Thread

caulfield12

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I never lied about anything. Also, I've never claimed to be an insider. I blog about my favorite baseball team. That's pretty much it. This is funny though. 

FWIW, that quote was not you, but I fully believe the poster was lying at the time. 

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Regarding all the previous posts too numerous to multi-quote: There's no reason for in-fighting because some choose to believe the hype while others don't. It is what it is . Some posts will age well and some won't. No one should be saying "I told you so" because if something does happen we are going to all be happy either way,(unless it's not the grand anticipated news.)

Predicting things is really hard.  Everybody that predicts will be mostly wrong.  Nature of the biz.  It's fun to speculate but often it's just speculation.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is literally the Sox in-house beat writer.  He had no reason whatsoever to mention Wheeler in a Yolmer article, unless he was told to do so.  He doesn't benefit and the Sox don't benefit from pissing more fans off by getting their hopes up about a FA they aren't serious about.  

He wrote about Harper and Machado too; countless times. That didn't mean the Sox were going to sign them; in fact, the opposite happened.

His job is to cover the news stories and rumors surrounding the team.

19 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't think that it was your intention, but even singling out a few insiders and leaving the rest to be assumed in the "random pop ups with claims" line is effectively also blanket hating on the insiders you didn't specifically name. Not saying you need to comprehensive list, but it's implying those 3 named are the only 3 to trust with information.

I’m pretty sure that saying “guys like” implied it wasn’t a comprehensive list, but my point is posters who have been here for years and present information are vastly different than a guy with no posting history stating some crazy shit.  But if this is simply about you getting recognition, you did get the Herrera signing correct so good job there.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yolmer is not related to wheeler - I tend to agree with Dick here. This is merely doing Yolmer a solid by letting him hit the market sooner the others who will hit when non-tendered. Thats my opinion.

What good is hitting the market two days early when those days are Thanksgiving & Black Friday?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He wrote about Harper and Machado too; countless times. That didn't mean the Sox were going to sign them; in fact, the opposite happened.

His job is to cover the news stories and rumors surrounding the team.

Yes - in articles about free agency and potental fits.  If he wrote an article about FA SP that made sense for the Sox, no one would think him mentioning Wheeler meant anything other than Wheeler making sense on paper.

He literally mentioned 1 player not affiliated with the White Sox in an article about placing Yolmer on outright waivers and creating a roster space.  These are very different things, whether you care to agree or not.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes - in articles about free agency and potental fits.  If he wrote an article about FA SP that made sense for the Sox, no one would think him mentioning Wheeler meant anything other than Wheeler making sense on paper.

He literally mentioned 1 player not affiliated with the White Sox in an article about placing Yolmer on outright waivers and creating a roster space.  These are very different things, whether you care to agree or not.  

I'm not sure what you are arguing.

Wheeler wasn't signed yesterday. Yolmer wasn't released due to this signing. Wheeler has been the ONLY pitcher linked to the White Sox by name so far, so Merkin writes about him because he's the main piece connected to them.

Yolmer was released because the Sox never had intentions on keeping him, so the day which they released him really doesn't tell us anything. This is why I tend to believe they gave him a jump start on that market and allowed Yolmer to be one of the first players through waivers before teams commit money elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Predicting things is really hard.  Everybody that predicts will be mostly wrong.  Nature of the biz.  It's fun to speculate but often it's just speculation.

Exactly. It's all just speculation based on putting 2 and 2 together and hoping it equals 4. We saw the Yolmer news and speculated it had something to do with Wheeler based on the other Sox rumors flying around from NY about Wheeler and the Sox. Merkin did the same thing. If people choose to believe he did more than that based on his connection to the team that's their choice. It is not mine and others.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Then when is the announcement? Wheeler's name has been connected to the White Sox for the better part of a week when he wrote it. Considering how RH and KW don't want any leaks, I doubt they fed him some info, and one thing you do know, if he got the info on his own and it somehow cost the Sox signing the player, he would need to find a new job. I don't know if it was for clicks, but I do think it wasn't based on anything solid. I can't believe I agree with Ray Ray. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is literally the Sox in-house beat writer.  He had no reason whatsoever to mention Wheeler in a Yolmer article, unless he was told to do so.  He doesn't benefit and the Sox don't benefit from pissing more fans off by getting their hopes up about a FA they aren't serious about.  

14 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

This is kind of where I stand with this.

Yea I probably went overboard. But yea, Fluff writer. Staff writer. Kinda go hand-in-hand.

Regardless, we need to drive up the reply count on this Wheeler thread so the Sox won't sign him. I believe there is a direct correlation between the post count on free agent threads and the Sox odds of singing that free agent.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Then when is the announcement? Wheeler's name has been connected to the White Sox for the better part of a week when he wrote it. Considering how RH and KW don't want any leaks, I doubt they fed him some info, and one thing you do know, if he got the info on his own and it somehow cost the Sox signing the player, he would need to find a new job. I don't know if it was for clicks, but I do think it wasn't based on anything solid. I can't believe I agree with Ray Ray. 

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, must be hard for you to be on the right side of a debate for once. 😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not sure what you are arguing.

Wheeler wasn't signed yesterday. Yolmer wasn't released due to this signing. Wheeler has been the ONLY pitcher linked to the White Sox by name so far, so Merkin writes about him because he's the main piece connected to them.

Yolmer was released because the Sox never had intentions on keeping him, so the day which they released him really doesn't tell us anything. This is why I tend to believe they gave him a jump start on that market and allowed Yolmer to be one of the first players through waivers before teams commit money elsewhere.

Lol, dude I am not arguing anything.  I think that Scott Merkin, the Sox in-house beat writer for years and years, who definitely at times gets fed information and is told by the org if/when/how to disseminate it literally mentioning Zack Wheeler by name in an article that had nothing to do with free agency is very interesting.  That is it. That is all I am saying.  Nothing more.  And plenty of pitchers have been linked to the Sox by name in the media - why not list off Wheeler, Ryu, Keuchel and Madbum?  Why just mentioned Wheeler? I find it interesting, others find it interesting, you may not. 

Lol, dude I am not arguing anything.  I think that Scott Merkin, the Sox in-house beat writer for years and years, who definitely at times gets fed information and is told by the org if/when/how to disseminate it literally mentioning Zack Wheeler by name in an article that had nothing to do with free agency is very interesting.  That is it. That is all I am saying.  Nothing more.  And plenty of pitchers have been linked to the Sox by name in the media - why not list off Wheeler, Ryu, Keuchel and Madbum?  Why just mentioned Wheeler? I find it interesting, others find it interesting, you may not. 

I think we all find it interesting. But you said that you think he was told to write that. Why would anybody tell him to write that?

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And those same 3 posters insisted, up and down and left and right and to literally everyone who would listen that they knew what the White Sox would do last season. They were completely and utterly wrong, and may well have been lying at some points - one of them famously said the Sox were "Walking through the open door" with regards to Harper late in negotiations and they didn't even bother putting in a real offer.

How many different ways could there be to interpret what the vague posts were? It could be "The White Sox are going to put a real offer up for Wheeler and will not let the Twins beat them." The exact same language could mean "The White Sox do not believe the Twins offer is realistic and see no reason to budge from their 5/$55 offer." 

Even if people have their information correct, it's a game of Chinese Telephone, where important details are always missing. Last year the White Sox genuinely believed they had Machado in the bag repeatedly, and the problem was the White Sox FO were idiots. None of the insiders bothered telling us that, but they were thrilled with everyone begging them for info, tagging them all the time asking what was up, following their twitter feeds, and clicking on their articles. 

It's literally :lookatme. Every single claim should be viewed as skeptical and people shouldn't be begging and tagging and asking over and over for info when we already know how low quality it is by the time it gets to us. Did anyone know the Grandal signing was coming? Why not? Because it was handled correctly - the guy was literally scouting our pitchers and we were wondering if anything was up.

3B021FA6-7F18-4CB8-AD52-E4A47A1B1018.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why would the Sox allow him - the one media member who they directly control - to directly mention 1 specific FA in an article that had nothing to do with free agency?  Look, I am not saying that I think the Wheeler deal is signed and its just waiting to be announced - but I think there is definitely something going on the in the background.  I don't necessarily think Yolmer being placed on outright waivers had anything to do with Wheeler - I do think its possible the Sox just wanted to prove to Yolmer that no other team was going to pay him $6.2M, but give him that opportunity - but I still think it is interesting that Wheeler was directly mentioned in the article that had absolutely nothing to do with Wheeler, free agency or starting pitching.  That is it.  

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And those same 3 posters insisted, up and down and left and right and to literally everyone who would listen that they knew what the White Sox would do last season. They were completely and utterly wrong, and may well have been lying at some points - one of them famously said the Sox were "Walking through the open door" with regards to Harper late in negotiations and they didn't even bother putting in a real offer.

How many different ways could there be to interpret what the vague posts were? It could be "The White Sox are going to put a real offer up for Wheeler and will not let the Twins beat them." The exact same language could mean "The White Sox do not believe the Twins offer is realistic and see no reason to budge from their 5/$55 offer." 

Even if people have their information correct, it's a game of Chinese Telephone, where important details are always missing. Last year the White Sox genuinely believed they had Machado in the bag repeatedly, and the problem was the White Sox FO were idiots. None of the insiders bothered telling us that, but they were thrilled with everyone begging them for info, tagging them all the time asking what was up, following their twitter feeds, and clicking on their articles. 

It's literally :lookatme. Every single claim should be viewed as skeptical and people shouldn't be begging and tagging and asking over and over for info when we already know how low quality it is by the time it gets to us. Did anyone know the Grandal signing was coming? Why not? Because it was handled correctly - the guy was literally scouting our pitchers and we were wondering if anything was up.

Post of the thread

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It took a lot of balls to post this. You are literally crucifying those who post on twitter regarding sports rumors with intentionally vague posts that can be interpreted in different ways. Often they are intentionally vague so people can ask you "what do you mean by that ".

Correct me if I am wrong but the whole point of Twitter if used for those purposes is to generate interest and get followers. People have their reasons for this either hoping for some type of rep or revenue based on that rep. It really is all about the clicks or becoming a somebody on that particular social media .The more places you post your info besides Twitter, such as here ,the more people beg you for info and kiss your ass for it and follow you. You build up a following and maybe somewhere down the road you can have a blog or podcast with ad revenue. It's a different kind of resume that someone like me cannot present if I decided I wanted to be a writer/blogger/podcaster on the internet because those people would have a built in following and I would not.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler Thread
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic