Detwiler back on a minor league deal

Sockin

I was thinking that you would think Hahn has better things to do but is a move like this just done by some underling?..."Rick, we can get Detwiler back on a minor league deal.  Should I do it?"... "Sure but don't give him an invite to training camp."

Maybe Hector Santiago is next. I get it, it's a minor league signing to perhaps fill the Charlotte staff, but can't they find something more interesting.  You aren't going to want this guy on the mound in Chicago, he hasn't put up a 1 WAR since Kevin Youkilis was playing 3rd for the White Sox and you know most of the Charlotte staff seems to appear at least briefly in Chicago at some point. 

I get most guys that get what he gets are brutal. But maybe one of them has a shot to be better. He doesn't. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Maybe Hector Santiago is next. I get it, it's a minor league signing to perhaps fill the Charlotte staff, but can't they find something more interesting.  You aren't going to want this guy on the mound in Chicago, he hasn't put up a 1 WAR since Kevin Youkilis was playing 3rd for the White Sox and you know most of the Charlotte staff seems to appear at least briefly in Chicago at some point. 

I get most guys that get what he gets are brutal. But maybe one of them has a shot to be better. He doesn't. 

Agreed, even as a last resort starter in Charlotte, the Sox already saw what he could do...  and it was awful.  Why wouldn’t you try someone else?

38 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I doubt the #1 driver of veteran minor league contracts is performance. 

Maybe they like how he works? His messaging to younger pitchers? 

I'm not gonna waste my energy judging a minor league filler signing.

Sox have done this the past few seasons with other guys. Donn Roach was brought back twice, so was Chris Volstad prior. I think they just like bringing back guys that they know have good work ethics and know what to expect. 

• Like 1