Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

30 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Assuming this is true (which is what I thought was going on before Cishek posted it), take a tiny return if it means we can go get Conforto. But if we are done making other moves anyway, then take the better return and eat some cash.

You are probably right. That move will indicate their next move if any.

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Luxury tax payroll is based on average contract price, not on single year contract price.  For example a contract that goes 2/4/6/8/ million gets a luxury tax of 5 million per season, and not the hit of the individual payroll numbers.  With the Sox extentions weighting heavy at the end, we are still in the portion where the cap hit is bigger than the annual costs.

If I read this right, at the end of a backloaded contract the cap hit is less than the actual contract, correct?

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd loooove to buy a prospect/young player and eat much of Kimbrels contract (lux?)

I'd be happy with 1 year of Naquin for Kimbrel. Cincy isn't totally broke. Maybe Naguin and a prospect if the Sox eat $6M Or Nick Senzel. He had a shit year probably not much of a 2nd baseman but he can play OF too. Of course he's Right Handed.

Or Harold's Dream Jarred Kelenic,  -.7 fWAR and LH power OF

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Having too many awesome players is a good problem to have.

Yeah seeming teams like the Dodgers and Padres "suffer" like they have,  it just amazes me when people talk about trading people for no good reason just because the roster is currently tight.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

If I read this right, at the end of a backloaded contract the cap hit is less than the actual contract, correct?

Yes. The White Sox have a couple guys who are currently like that - Anderson and Abreu have salaries higher than their tax numbers.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Correct.  So if you take something like Eloy/TA/Roberts deals, we will be getting much lower tax hit, than actual payroll number at the end of those deals.  Technically it would allow us to overspend the tax number in actual payroll, without actually being over from a technical standpoint because the cap hit is the average of the deal.

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Neither of these guys are even top 100 prospects.  

Prospect lists are very biased and subjective.  People create them based on video of players and past performances and what they project will be the improvements.   Both Colas and Cespedes have little to no video or past performances to base things off of which means lower rankings.  

Colas is actually on par if not better than someone like Vaquero who was signed in the J15 period as well.  The only reason Colas is not in the top 100 like Vaquero is, is because of age.  

If Colas comes in and does what I expect, he is easily a top 100, if not top 50 prospect.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Correct.  So if you take something like Eloy/TA/Roberts deals, we will be getting much lower tax hit, than actual payroll number at the end of those deals.  Technically it would allow us to overspend the tax number in actual payroll, without actually being over from a technical standpoint because the cap hit is the average of the deal.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I understand that.  Per sportrac, the $192.6M payroll quoted is the CBT payroll, not actual payroll.  Trying to understand what makes up this $20M in added costs Balta is tacking onto the $192.6M when saying we only have $17M of space.  Seems steep - just trying to understand what makes up that number.  

Benefits, minor league salaries, and pre-arb bonus pool

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Just now, ptatc said:

Thanks!

Worth noting - Anderson's tax number is currently low because he's in the final year of his guaranteed contract, and the $25 million guarantee or whatever it was had to be averaged over the last 6 seasons.

However, the next 2 years are team option years for Anderson. If the White Sox pick those up, and I presume that they will as long as Anderson is still alive - his tax number next year will be the full 1-year option amount of $12.5 million, because he will have a 1 year, $12.5 million guarantee. His tax number goes up by $8 million next year, while his salary goes up by $3 million.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes. The White Sox have a couple guys who are currently like that - Anderson and Abreu have salaries higher than their tax numbers.

What if the Sox have to eat $4 million to trade Kimbrel? Does that $4 millions count against the Sox CBT?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah seeming teams like the Dodgers and Padres "suffer" like they have,  it just amazes me when people talk about trading people for no good reason just because the roster is currently tight.

I think some of it is the individual player. If they are a veteran they may cause issues if they are just sitting around. 

People don't like when TLR plays subs so frequently but some that is appeasing players.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right, even if Conforto puts you over the tax by like $5M with Kimbrel still on roster, what is he first tax rate?  25%?  Its kind of chump change. 

I don't think the Sox wanted to get this close to the Tax in the 1st place let alone go over it. They are planning to be able to make moves at the TDL too so they feel something has to be in reserve. Kimbrel's the move that has to get done 1st.

If we are $17M away from the cap anything  freeing up $10M+ leaves the Sox able to afford $20M a year more and leaves some for the TDL. Might even get a prospect to use in a trade.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I’m at the point I’ve come to terms they aren’t adding a RF bat. Just move Kimbrel to free up some cap space and get Manaea so we have an extra arm. They CANNOT allow Keuchel’s option to vest this season. If they are that up against the wall they can’t afford any dead weight contracts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What if the Sox have to eat $4 million to trade Kimbrel? Does that $4 millions count against the Sox CBT?

Yes. If they send money out as part of any trade, that money counts against the White Sox's CBT total. 

Two things, if the Sox bite the bullet and eat the cash, they get a better return. Depends on what the return is though and if it makes the team better. Maybe a RF or a quality SP. However, if they just trade him to free up cash, than they will get a lesser return say a backup catcher. Than they can just use that money to go out and get a RF. I would probably just trade him to free up the cash and try to get a RF but it really all depends on what they can get back if they were to just eat the cash. They can always do a separate trade for a SP. 

Edited by maloney.adam