Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Twins likely need to trade one of Martin or Lewis to land Montas fwiw 

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Have you heard any names from other teams? Like maybe lesser players (not bad money for bad money deals)?

I've heard about targeting close to majors young catchers in talks. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Kimbrel will get moved. The Sox have offers but they aren't ready to make a decision. In regards to the guys left on the market, teams are concerned with Story's ability to throw. I'm not sure where he ends up. There aren't really any rumors linking Conforto to anyone at this point which is real strange obviously. 

How long does it take them to make a decision?  They should have all of these options completely weighed out at this point.  The longer they wait, the less chance they have of all of these deals still being on the table.  Not to mention, any corresponding moves as players are flying off the board left and right.  No one is waiting for them.  Is this just incompetence or what? 

2 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

How long does it take them to make a decision?  They should have all of these options completely weighed out at this point.  The longer they wait, the less chance they have of all of these deals still being on the table.  Not to mention, any corresponding moves as players are flying off the board left and right.  No one is waiting for them.  Is this just incompetence or what? 

If they have offers where they're eating some of the money on Kimbrel, it makes sense to wait. Showcase him and maybe someone's closer gets hurt. They can just make a deal where they eat at the end of spring if necessary. Waiting is fine. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If they have offers where they're eating some of the money on Kimbrel, it makes sense to wait. Showcase him and maybe someone's closer gets hurt. They can just make a deal where they eat at the end of spring if necessary. Waiting is fine. 

So would that mean they have no intention of using any of that money on the 2022 roster, at least until the trade deadline?  If so, f that.  

Dragging this on just to save a few million really makes picking up his option look silly.  If they were making any other moves right now that involved taking on money, I’d feel differently.  

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I do get what you're saying.  But in this case the one problem I have with waiting is if Kimbrel gets hurt. 

5 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

So would that mean they have no intention of using any of that money on the 2022 roster, at least until the trade deadline?  If so, f that.  

Dragging this on just to save a few million really makes picking up his option look silly.  If they were making any other moves right now that involved taking on money, I’d feel differently.  

Conforto may still be there since there are no rumors right now linking him. That’s the risk though to take.

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not sure I like that. Waiting also increases the risk of Kimbrel getting hurt. It really feels like they have no clue what they are doing this offseason, and it's a massive fail that it doesn't seem there's any intent to reinvest that money back into the team with all the glaring holes in the roster.

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Conforto may still be there since there are no rumors right now linking him. That’s the risk though to take.

So you think saving a few millions dollars with the risk of missing out on Conforto completely should even be considered in a conversation?  That’s an absurd risk to take.  

1 minute ago, Sambuca said:

So you think saving a few millions dollars with the risk of missing out on Conforto completely should even be considered in a conversation?  That’s an absurd risk to take.  

That sounds very much like the white Sox to me.

1 minute ago, Sambuca said:

Which makes me believe Conforto isn’t an option

11 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

If one of the deals they have right now on the table is so worth it or knocks their socks off where they are getting someone really good or a bunch of prospects or a combination of that and extra cash, than they would’ve pulled the trigger by now but it sounds like they weren’t offered that yet so better to wait and see if another team becomes desperate.

Edited by maloney.adam

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Until Kimbrel gets hurt.  Then what?  About $9-10 million back in insurance?

Waiting on an injury to a contender provides better odds than hoping your own guy doesn't get hurt, but it's not a non-zero risk in an abbreviated ST with a guy nearing his mid 30s.

It's riverboat gambling that hearkens back to the days of KW.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, fathom said:

so which teams have soon-to-be-ready MLB catchers?  Marchan from Phillies seems to be a fit, and Phillies might have interest in Kimbrel.

Oh come on, the Phillies literally said “we have $20 million to spend on relievers. Kimbrel? No thank you” already. Plus they’re now in tax territory so it’s what, $20 million to take on his deal? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Unless one of the deals they have right now on the table is so worth where they are getting someone really good than that would be worth it to eat the money and just pull the trigger now but it sounds like they aren’t quite there yet. 

I’m just not seeing any scenario where waiting is the best option.  If there is a scenario where waiting is the best option, it only proves the Sox did not have a plan, or at best executing a plan very poorly.  It screams incompetence with zero understanding of the current market.  This is how you end up with an off-season of missed opportunities, and arguably no positive value added. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh come on, the Phillies literally said “we have $20 million to spend on relievers. Kimbrel? No thank you” already. Plus they’re now in tax territory so it’s what, $20 million to take on his deal? 

Under no circumstance do I think a team takes on his whole salary.

30 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If they're willing to wait to trade Kimbrel, then that pretty much means:

1) the money saved from moving Kimbrel isn't going to sign Conforto or anyone else

2) the potential return in the trade isn't going to be flipped to get a SP

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

so which teams have soon-to-be-ready MLB catchers?  Marchan from Phillies seems to be a fit, and Phillies might have interest in Kimbrel.

I’ll be honest, if we’re trying to trade a $16M catcher that only a few teams can afford and are specifically looking for a young catcher in return then we’re really going to struggle to get a trade down.  Very few organizations have to soon-to-be-ready MLB catchers that are readily expendable.

• Quin locked this topic