Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nothing I said about James in my initial post that led to his outburst was out of line; i literally mentioned him in passing as an example because he was the most recent example. The post and details were partly a joke on how the front office operates. He threw a tantrum about it, end of story. Beautiful day out, will go enjoy it as it seems sensitivity on soxtalk is at an all time high.

I missed a go F yourself tantrum?  Damn basement cleanout!!!  Miss a little....miss alot.  

It is a beautiful day out though, ray.

39 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When have I ever told anyone what to post, or attacked them for it? I get it, the old boys club gets offended at sox talk when any "insider" is questioned. I can say something is BS if I chose to. 

The concept of insider in professional sports has always made me laugh honestly. Break one story in 10 years and then speculate on 1000 that never come true and somehow that authority should never be questioned, and certainly shouldn't be disagreed with at soxtalk. Otherwise everyone gets very defensive.

I have my opinions same as you. Difference between me and you is I won't run to gang up on people because they disagree with me. I couldn't care less who posts what. I have my thoughts and opinions and I'm not here to beg someone to sprinkle some very pointless speculation for me to consume. I look at what's happened, not the fake what could have happened stories. Unlike you I don't delete posts that disagree with me or deem rude, and I don't threaten posters to post how I want or else.

You literally just Uncle Tom'd someone earlier today.  You want to question everyone else, but catch feelings when the sentiment is returned, though.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Fire 2

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'll note that a part of the amazing privilege of having speculatory contract offerings leaked on soxtalk is that no one can question your overall point or call into question the purpose of that information reaching you.

I'm sorry it was so hard for you to read someone on a forum disagree with you or question the purpose of the information. I hope you can recover from that hardship. 

Edit: looks like you got the overwhelming attention you were seeking with this post so I hope that makes up for your pain and suffering.

This is you not attacking people, right?

• Thanks 2
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

When does part 4 begin?

What purpose would having a fourth thread even serve? I didn’t understand why a second or third was even necessary if people were following along.

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When have I ever told anyone what to post, or attacked them for it? I get it, the old boys club gets offended at sox talk when any "insider" is questioned. I can say something is BS if I chose to. 

The concept of insider in professional sports has always made me laugh honestly. Break one story in 10 years and then speculate on 1000 that never come true and somehow that authority should never be questioned, and certainly shouldn't be disagreed with at soxtalk. Otherwise everyone gets very defensive.

I have my opinions same as you. Difference between me and you is I won't run to gang up on people because they disagree with me. I couldn't care less who posts what. I have my thoughts and opinions and I'm not here to beg someone to sprinkle some very pointless speculation for me to consume. I look at what's happened, not the fake what could have happened stories. Unlike you I don't delete posts that disagree with me or deem rude, and I don't threaten posters to post how I want or else.

People are touchy and get defensive. Just because one story may have some truth to it, someone is viewed as being an insider and has instant credibility. I have no problem seeing some questioning of insider information or speculation. Lots of speculation here gets blurred with tweets that don’t turn out to be true. 

35 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Oh I won’t do it anymore. You can trust me on that. 

This reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets pressured for the tape of a movie he recorded and he says, “That’s it, I can’t work like this, I’m off the job!”

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Nobody other than you understood that.

Not true.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

What purpose would having a fourth thread even serve? I didn’t understand why a second or third was even necessary if people were following along.

Insane people want to try and change the luck floating around in the universe in hopes that we land Conforto 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rey21 said:

I really wish the White Sox had some more out of the box thinkers in their front office.   Like how did the Red Sox come to the conclusion that they would make Trevor Story work at 2B? I’m sure lack of a market didn’t help Story and having an owner willing to go above and beyond helps but nothing this FO does has shown they can be creative. 

5 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Sox could have filled a massive hole with Story and/or Conforto but will sign neither and settle on a AAA platoon and a 35 year old on the downtrend.

5 hours ago, Sarava said:

Good post.

I'll add one threat, that to me is by far the biggest threat. The White Sox. The threat is that they just don't want to fill the RF hole with a championship caliber piece. The threat is that they've blown their load on relief pitchers and utility infielders and don't want to spend further. The threat might even be that they are content being a contender and don't want to take the steps to be one of the actual favorites.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't care about being right. I just want the Sox to win the World Series.

This offseason is right in this org's wheelhouse. You can't expect different FO behavior until ownership changes. You also can't switch teams.

They have the team precisely where they want it to be — in contention, but not committed to winning it all costs. They're committed to winning but not committed to excellence. Excellence may happen through good fortune viz through a lot of overperformance/excess value coming from the young stars on the team. I'd say it's rare that the team with the best offseason ends up winning it all. Sometimes you see it with TOR in 93 and during the NYY dynasty. There are many more examples of teams not getting it done but winning it all anyway.

19 minutes ago, The Beast said:

We have been told in the past that when everyone is querying and reloading a single big thread it can slow down the server. Not sure if it still is like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If the White Sox bullpen doesn’t perform like KCs in the mid 2010s, considering how much they have spent on it, RH and KW should resign, admitting the game has passed them by.

In all honestly there is probably a good moneyball type strategy in the bullpen realm simply given the nature of the game today. But I suspect such a thing is not being done on that kind of a strategic and analytical level within this org. Rather one thinks that they are simply compensating for the phobia of bigger deals by trying to gain a competitive edge in the less competitive area of free agency. d

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Being used as a mouth piece does not mean what you are implying at all. It means you're being used to push a narrative (knowingly or not.)

Most everyone who leaks baseball free agent rumors are by definition being used as a mouthpiece for something or someone. Don't like it? Then don't leak supposed contract offers during free agency.

Correct.  If you are used to push a narrative, it means you haven't vetted it and are just stating it. 

Mouthpiece implies just stating what the organization wants whether it's the truth or not.

Criticizing the information is one thing. Criticizing the integrity of the person is another.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, KBX said:

In all honestly there is probably a good moneyball type strategy in the bullpen realm simply given the nature of the game today. But I suspect such a thing is not being done on that kind of a strategic and analytical level within this org. Rather one thinks that they are simply compensating for the phobia of bigger deals by trying to gain a competitive edge in the less competitive area of free agency. d

You know who's really good at analytical, moneyball bullpen strategy? Tony LaRussa 

46 minutes ago, KBX said:

This offseason is right in this org's wheelhouse. You can't expect different FO behavior until ownership changes. You also can't switch teams.

They have the team precisely where they want it to be — in contention, but not committed to winning it all costs. They're committed to winning but not committed to excellence. Excellence may happen through good fortune viz through a lot of overperformance/excess value coming from the young stars on the team. I'd say it's rare that the team with the best offseason ends up winning it all. Sometimes you see it with TOR in 93 and during the NYY dynasty. There are many more examples of teams not getting it done but winning it all anyway.

That would be plausible, if it weren't for the fact that TLR came out of retirement, for the expressed purpose of bringing a World Series to his old team and friend, Jerry.  It doesn't make much sense to do that and then intentionally settle for just contending. They could have very easily done that with Rick Renteria. Even if J.R. were satisfied with that goal, Tony wouldn't be. It just doesn't make sense to fire R.R. and hire Hall of Famer TLR, with the goal of contending. That is not rendering anyone a favor, neither Tony, nor Mr. Reinsdorf.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You literally just Uncle Tom'd someone earlier today.  You want to question everyone else, but catch feelings when the sentiment is returned, though.

"Dude go fuck yourself. Seriously. Keep my name out of your mouth."

If you think I'm catching feelings there's nothing I can do to help you.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

• Quin locked this topic