White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think it’s too late now to salvage anything. The team needs to be sold.

I have defended JR on this board numerous times. But he has proven he needs to sell for several years. The exact same thing that happened with the DRose Bulls is happening right now with the White Sox. You would think a lesson or two would have been learned, but it’s all preserving a profit. If he needs the money so bad, sell the teams.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have defended JR on this board numerous times. But he has proven he needs to sell for several years. The exact same thing that happened with the DRose Bulls is happening right now with the White Sox. You would think a lesson or two would have been learned, but it’s all preserving a profit. If he needs the money so bad, sell the teams.

Yes. Though without having pulled in a successful Thibs tenure.

In some ways Getz would be the best hire here. In the arc of all this, it would be hard to see it as anything but the end.

Getz can get to unanimous support because there will be high suspicions of any outsider coming in and perhaps being honest that some of their ways need changing. That's scary, especially if they say so publicly. Getz would know the game.

But it's also at this point so pure of a JR operation there is no possible scapegoating when it fails. Sure, they will all try to blame the labor, but it could all end up so embarrassing even Bob Nightengale may start indicating the white sox aren't doing fabulous.

That sounds a lot like Boylen, who clearly was lockstep with Paxson and Forman. Paxson deked like he may be able to sacrifice Forman as the goat, and that may well happen to Hahn, but just as likely is they all get tired of being pathetic and just want to retire as a rich person that gets to float around baseball. It does sound better.

28 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Hiring Chris Getz for manager would be the equivalent of flipping the bird to the fan base.  Robin Ventura 2.0.  So much for the rebuild and the competitive window. 

Ventura didn’t help build the worst farm system in baseball 

I do think it's possible Getz succeeds.

When viewed from a league perspective, White Sox Player Development has only been able to keep up to the mid to bottom half distribution of teams. 

But on the other hand, this has been a time of revolution in the application and technology of player development. Viewed within the isolation of a white sox front office employee, it probably seems like Getz is like Thomas Edison. Completely bewildering, but he also still likes him. That's great!

I could see it working. Getz does seem competent. I think it would be hard to install any one amazing person below hahn and expect a league leading result. Like say you bring in some guy from tampa to run PD, they are going to run into the fact that our scouting heads are completely autonomous and won't take any guidance on building a cohesive machine. Everyone runs their kingdom, and everyone keeps their jobs by not trying to take over anyone elses kingdom.

But, Getz may be able to align Major League philosophies with some of the success of, say, an Andy Barkett. We really did see some progress. 

If you are Hahn, an incompetent but sadly not stupid man, you know this team is going to rely a lot on younger talent because you've spent all your money on bullpen men with great leadership qualities.

You want a manager from a top org where they are used to alignment between front office teaching and major league teaching. But that will be seen as a power play internally. So Getz does get you a similar dynamic.

If we are ranking who from the org could be the best hire, I'd still put Thome 1, getz would be 2, and jirschele 3. Jirschele may actually be 2. He really always had the most competent farm teams despite sometimes atrocious rosters. Birmingham to start the year looked worse than charlotte, and yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

This is a good line and I support it, but personally I fault him the least for that. Like I would still fire him, but I might still let him work for a few weeks on salary while he updates his resume.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Getz could turn into the greatest manager of all time, but Hahn and the White Sox, after he laid the groundwork for the “search” in a press conference, would have zero credibility with the media and the fans. Hopefully, Rick would realize it and resign.

See this to me is the optimistic take. How could JR/Hahn/KW not look at where they are ending up and not at least have that inkling that they are truly at end times here.

Getz is Hahn's guy, so my first thought that is that moving him to manager would at least put to rest the idea that Hahn has no power.

But the next move would likely be  to put W Jr. in charge of the farm, which will wash that down the drain, and will resurrect the bloggers' theme that the "hand of KW controls all."

And DA could certainly be right that Hahn, not one to hire "premium talent" for FO positions, might do this because he sees Getz as a threat.  

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

He kinda did actually. They clearly weren't willing to coach Marcus Semien on any position and labeled him as a crappy failed utility guy the moment he got to the big leagues since he couldn't hit that well and hadn't figured out how to field in the infield on his own. Teaching him would have been too much work, and quitting is easier than working hard, so he was dumped on the As as another sweet deal where we didn't have to send out too much. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Getz is Hahn's guy, so my first thought that is that moving him to manager would at least put to rest the idea that Hahn has no power.

But the next move would likely be  to put W Jr. in charge of the farm, which will wash that down the drain, and will resurrect the bloggers' theme that the "hand of KW controls all."

And DA could certainly be right that Hahn, not one to hire "premium talent" for FO positions, might do this because he sees Getz as a threat.  

He is but Reinsdorf and Kenny both like him too which is why I don't think he'll be a 100% yes man for Hahn.  

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Getz could turn into the greatest manager of all time, but Hahn and the White Sox, after he laid the groundwork for the “search” in a press conference, would have zero credibility with the media and the fans. Hopefully, Rick would realize it and resign.

If Rick didn’t resign after the hiring of TLR there is zero shot he does it after hiring Getz. They don’t give a s%*# about their credibility when the owner doesn’t care about accountability. The regime knows this hence why all the snarkiness with the media and canceling of SoxFest with no explanation. No one is that front office has the balls to run a proper organization 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Rick Hahn is full of s%*#.

Well then his bosses shouldn't put him in front of a microphone. There's one reason and one reason only why Ken Williams would like Chris Getz to be the manager. His reign of terror can't end soon enough. 

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Is that because he is a yes man? I will admit I don’t know much about his background outside of his playing career, just don’t see how he would fit in that locker room especially not having managed before 

Easy. He's tight with Rick Hahn, Jerry has heard of him and wouldn't have to hire someone he doesn't know that would potentially tell him how much of a shitshow his organization is and KW would like it because his son would receive an unearned promotion. 

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic