Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, chw42 said:

Who would take that contract?

Mets, Dodgers, Yankees, Giants, Cubs, Phillies. Maybe Angels. Not sure about what Boston is even doing. Rangers would have but they already signed 2 IF. Probably a surprise team or two.

Doubt there would be a big return, but that’s a gamble worth taking if you can afford a competitive payroll. The upside is still an MVP caliber player.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Deal

2023 Season -  

Padres: Colas ROY, Giolito Top 5 Cy Young Voting, Crochet either stretched out into a starter or stabilizes the Padres bullpen, Montgomery ends year as #1 prospect. Face Jose Abreu in the World Series.

White Sox: Tatis runs into Eloy Jimenez on a routine fly ball, both are out 6 months.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I keep thinking that after the last two season, and the palpable anger in the Sox fan base, there has to have been a pretty big impact in the fan base.  They have to be thinking that they need to get the attention of the fan base, or it will be another down season in the ballpark.

And I take the complete opposite view where Jerry is pissed off at how Tony was treated here and has no incentive to try and make them happy now.

• Like 1

Just now, Quin said:

2023 Season -  

Padres: Colas ROY, Giolito Top 5 Cy Young Voting, Crochet either stretched out into a starter or stabilizes the Padres bullpen, Montgomery ends year as #1 prospect. Face Jose Abreu in the World Series.

White Sox: Tatis runs into Eloy Jimenez on a routine fly ball, both are out 6 months.

Caulfield’s dream trade then

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'd be 100% in on this move. A lot of people are talking about other moves for bounce-back guys like Gallo (I don't understand that one) or Winker, but I would bet on Gleyber Torres being the player to most benefit from a change of scenery.

I want Torres, but the Yanks need relievers so I don't think these players will work, but a combination of Kelly-Graveman or Liam should get it done.

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I keep thinking that after the last two season, and the palpable anger in the Sox fan base, there has to have been a pretty big impact in the fan base.  They have to be thinking that they need to get the attention of the fan base, or it will be another down season in the ballpark.

Small sample size, but in talking to both friends and people "in the sports world" there is a big time apathy with a lot of hardcore fans. I'm included in that group. Soxtalk has been a part of my life literally for like 15 years so I'll always still see what's going on...but I can't remember the last time I was this dis-interested in the organization. A lot of that has to do with being an adult with kids and such, but I'd still be much more interested if there was any sort of hope or plan. 

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yep. He's giving Hahn just enough rope to hang himself.  

Because after all, Rick Hahn has done such an excellent job that there would be an angry crowd of reporters and fans demanding answers if he was fired. Clearly they need more reasons to do this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pcq said:

By this time next year everyone will be copying exactly what the Sox do.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don’t think the Sox really have many trade candidates on the MLB roster. Most of the guys are either at their lowest value after a poor or injury plagued season (Moncada, Eloy, Robert, Giolito), are major contributors to the MLB club (TA, Hendriks, Cease), or just have no value (Grandal, Kelly, Leury). 

Feels more like a Sox pushing their beat non-Montgomery and Colas minor league chips into the pot and trying to get the best LH OF bat they can find for it kinda off-season. 

I can do without TA's error's and drama.  He can hit, but you need a glove at SS and he just doesn't have it.  People pounce of Glyber Torres as not being a good defender 8 errors 4.1 WAR in 135 games last year compared to TA's 12 errors 2.1 WAR in only 79 games.   I'd trade for Torres, put him at 2B and wait for Colson in 2024-5.

I just don't think there are many teams out there  looking for a SS with a hole in his glove and I don't think the return if we were to trade him would be what most expect.  My guess is they'll pick-up his 2024 option for 14 mil (bargain) and bring Colson up in September of 2024 or in May of 2025.

• Love 1

I expect two moderates plus pickups like Benintendi, Kepler, or Wong types.  Kepler is a favorite of mine, and you can pair him with any other solid player (3 WAR) to satisfy my expectations.  I feel the FO might just surprise us with a big name, but two solid pickups coupled with Clevinger would be a good offseason.  I am very optimistic that the new coaching staff will get through to Moncada, Robert, and Eloy as well.  Pedro seems to already know that motivation is a problem to be addressed.