Sox working on signing a LF

CWSpalehoseCWS

25 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This is an honest question because I don’t know the answer…but is there a logical explanation to why Benintendi suddenly lost all power last year and you wouldn’t expect it to return? I see he broke his hamate bone late in the season with the Yankees, but that wouldn’t explain the entire season. But it would also be a little odd to assume that a 28 year suddenly lost all power without some sort of very serious injury that occurred. He’s played in 5 full mlb seasons and last year was the 1st time his SLG % dipped below .424 and he averaged 16.5 HR’s the other 4 seasons as well. Unless I’m missing something, I’m not sure why expecting him to revert back to the norm is so crazy.

And with Gallo I personally don’t think expecting him to revert back to ‘17-‘19 form is all that realistic. I think it would be more like hope he gets back to his 2021 form where he managed a .451 SLG % as an all or nothing power hitter. If he was a true 3 outcome player with a high OBP I could see the appeal, but he’s really not that.

Obviously just SLG % isn’t everything and the 20+ more HR’s Gallo will likely hit certainly mean something.  Just seems to me people have an idea of Joey Gallo in their heads that only existed for a small amount of time 3+ years ago.

I won’t be upset by any means if Gallo is signed, but also won’t be excited about it. 

I’m no expert but I want to say  hammate injuries take a full year to return to full strength and can sap a hitter’s hand strength.  

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I would be surprised too...pleasantly surprised but still surprised. Maybe KW and PG both leaned on JR for their guy and he finally said ok.

I doubt it tho.

On the other hand there is too much smoke on Gallo right now....perhaps so much so that it's a smokescreen. 

Maybe it's the Kepler trade?

I just want to get something done, I'm tired of logging in here everyday and seeing Hahn still sitting doing nothing but holding his dick while everyone else is getting better.

If it's a trade....I'm all for Kepler.  Perfect match for our needs.

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Benintendi is certainly the "Surest thing" and his the highest floor.  But it's still annoying that the Sox can't find someone from minors who can slap it out at .750 and play better defense than he does.  Signing him is like using capital on relievers - you can overpay the market by 30%, but the numbers still won't be eyepopping; in the end its hole-plugging and not "premium talent."

Fully agree.

25 minutes ago, Pal said:

I'm fairly confident whoever the alleged mystery LF is, it's not Benitendi. 

He’s going to get more years/average salary than the range the Sox are looking at.  Never thought he was much of an option.  It’s very obvious to me that Kaplan thought it was Gallo.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kaplan said next 24 to 48 hours so tomorrow was always a very real possibility. For now I suggest we all remain optimistic and believe another off-season move is possible.

Fwiw, he didn’t mention anything tonight in his rekap 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It wouldn’t be bad, in all honesty.  Peralta would have easily been one of their better hitters vs RHP.  His throwing arm does suck though and he was bad on D last year.

Peralta is the type of player who comes here and suddenly can’t hit or field.  I actually wanted him at last year’s deadline because he’d be so cheap, but I’d be very disappointed if he was our LF solution.  That being said, there are worse theoretical options, but I don’t think the Sox would go any lower.

• Like 1