Carlos Correa is a Twin - 6 yrs $200M

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you're saying the Yankees don't win a title if A-Rod is at short and Jeter at 2nd or 3rd? Trying to figure out what you're debating.

A-Rod was the best offensive player in baseball arguably. Correa is no where near that.

You said it not me. Also you are acting like Lindor isn't a very good defensive SS in his own right. This is a different case than Jeter at that position (which certainly you can argue why A-Rod wasn't there but we know the Yankees would never move Jeter).

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

You said it not me. Also you are acting like Lindor isn't a very good defensive SS in his own right. This is a different case than Jeter at that position (which certainly you can argue why A-Rod wasn't there but we know the Yankees would never move Jeter).

I'm acting like the Mets signed a player who derives a lot of value from being the best at his position defensively and they're moving him off that position. Lindor is a good defensive SS, no doubt about that. 

Correa had the highest wRC+ of all SS's last year, with his defense. 

Correa would have been 6th or 7th at 3B offensively last year. 

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Can cohen email it to him to start the proc....nevermind. 

That'd be some petty s%*# from Cohen. So JR, you didn't want me to own a team...so attached is what I'm willing to pay in luxury taxes alone...

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not sure I'd say it worked. Correa is nowhere near the offensive player a rod was and the Yankees were worse defensively because of it. A lot of Correa's value is tied to the fact that he's the best defensive SS in baseball. Moving him off that position brings down his ceiling big time.

If your entire argument is that arod and jeter didn’t work because the defense wasn’t as good, then ok I’m just not gonna pursue this any further 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

If your entire argument is that arod and jeter didn’t work because the defense wasn’t as good, then ok I’m just not gonna pursue this any further 

no, my "argument" is that you are paying a player's premium price tag while not using a premium skill/value. 

unlike A-Rod, Correa isn't a top 3-5 hitter in baseball. Him shifting over is going to hurt his value. It's spending money just to spend instead of team building.

43 minutes ago, wegner said:

I thought the spending that the Dodgers were doing a few years back was crazy....Cohen is other worldly.  Who knew hedge fund managers did so well for themselves??

His protege or whatever getting ruined by GameStop must have pissed him off.

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

I don’t know the future of MLB, but I hate Manfred and what’s going on now. After this CBA, if it took missing an entire season to get a salary floor and cap, I would take that trade for the future of baseball. 

While the concept of a cap and floor that the owners passed around wasn't a serious proposal (the White Sox would be well over the cap right now, that's how big the salary limits were), if I had to pick which side was going to be more ardently opposed to a cap and floor it will always be the Union. They have fought so hard to keep this league uncapped that I'm not sure what it would take to get them on board with the concept, and frankly - the Union is ok with what the Mets are doing. Not only are the Mets spending wildly, but they're forcing other teams to keep up with them, and even with all that it doesn't even guarantee they will win their division.

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I agree with @Balta1701 the players will never go for a cap and floor. 

Which is crazy, since going into that last CBA they were (depending on the metric you used) getting the smallest % of the revenue pie of the major sports. I don't know if that's been changed with the CBA and will need time to determine, but all-in-all, the lack of a cap has led to a perceived collusion by owners to slow salaries more-so than revenue growth. Cohen has thrown a wrench into that concept, but will other owners actually match or try and compete there? I doubt it for most.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Correa to...ah hell, who knows