When do Sox put Anderson on the trading block?

oldsox

1 hour ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

This is kind of where I'm at. All signs are kind of pointing to him just wanting to get out of dodge...

He’s going to want to be paid. He gave away a lot on that first contract when it locked him into the White Sox until he was in his 30s, he gets basically one chance at the big career defining free agent deal. 

Cubs didn't move Contreras or Happ at the deadline because teams just aren't paying a premium at the deadline anymore. The only guys I can see being sold in-season are Grandal and Lopez. The QO is worth more than what the Sox can get for Giolito, and Anderson will bring a lot more in an off-season trade than in-season.

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He’s going to want to be paid. He gave away a lot on that first contract when it locked him into the White Sox until he was in his 30s, he gets basically one chance at the big career defining free agent deal. 

Yeah, but what about the Dairy Queen bucks???

49 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Cubs didn't move Contreras or Happ at the deadline because teams just aren't paying a premium at the deadline anymore. The only guys I can see being sold in-season are Grandal and Lopez. The QO is worth more than what the Sox can get for Giolito, and Anderson will bring a lot more in an off-season trade than in-season.

If the season is lost but Giolito is having a good year, I can definitely see them getting something better than a QO for him in a trade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And that's on him. He agreed to the deal. 

25 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

And that's on him. He agreed to the deal. 

It wasn't a bad move by him, that's not what I meant. It's a good decision when you're that age and coming off an inconsistent start to your career to guarantee yourself money.

That also, however, sets up a situation where he has only 1 real legitimate chance to get paid the real big contract. He should do so. 

• Like 1

The Sox should be competitive this year.  If they're not, it's likely that it's because players like TA aren't having good years, so the return would be minimal anyway.  Next year is iffy, as they lose 2 starting pitchers; but I'm assuming they'll try to replace them and won't throw in the towel (could easily re-up Lynn, if appropriate).   And he'll likely be valuable to the Sox 2024 anyway:  Montgomery could play alongside him for a year; or he could play OF for a year.  Can always use a good, athletic player.
And looking at Hahn's history with selling, if the player has high value via production and years of control, he worked to move them for real return.  If not, it was largely salary dumping, or giveaways for AAAA players.  TA on a 1 year rent likely doesn't provide a haul.

So I'd say they won't move him; or at least I hope they don't.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

If the season is lost but Giolito is having a good year, I can definitely see them getting something better than a QO for him in a trade.

The line of suitors for Giolito come July if Sox are sellers will be long.  Even if he doesn't really improve on his 2022.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox should be competitive this year.  If they're not, it's likely that it's because players like TA aren't having good years, so the return would be minimal anyway.  Next year is iffy, as they lose 2 starting pitchers; but I'm assuming they'll try to replace them and won't throw in the towel (could easily re-up Lynn, if appropriate).   And he'll likely be valuable to the Sox 2024 anyway:  Montgomery could play alongside him for a year; or he could play OF for a year.  Can always use a good, athletic player.
And looking at Hahn's history with selling, if the player has high value via production and years of control, he worked to move them for real return.  If not, it was largely salary dumping, or giveaways for AAAA players.  TA on a 1 year rent likely doesn't provide a haul.

So I'd say they won't move him; or at least I hope they don't.

They must have a wealth of pitching in the minors coming along. Otherwise they would be acquiring other talent.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

The Sox should be competitive this year.  If they're not, it's likely that it's because players like TA aren't having good years, so the return would be minimal anyway. 

Bingo.

The scenarios where TA would net a significant return, enough to warrant trading a fan favorite

and

The Sox also being in the situation where they want to trade that version of TA.....

Seems like a very small percentage of possible outcomes

15 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It'll be long if he rebounds

I don't even think he really needs to rebound.  Every team in baseball could use a rock solid #4 type that eats innings and gives your team a chance to win most nights for his 2023 AAV.  With the expanded playoffs, more teams involved in races means more teams will be interested, means more teams bidding, increasing the price.  

If he rebounds, he becomes a very valuable short term asset if the Sox are sellers (I truly hope they are not).  

That said, I think Lucas is a safe bet to be really good in 2023.  Dude is a student of the game, and very determined player that has shown time and time again that he cares deeply about his performance and his next contract.  I think we see that squint in his eye again this season. 

Edited by ChiSox59

On 2/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, Buehrle>Wood said:

Hopefully never. They have a marketable potential star who has embraced the Southside and its culture moreso than any other player to play here. Pay him and keep him as your face.

Sox obviously don't care about any player embracing the southside after not keeping Jose. When they reach a certain age the popular thing is to let the player walk even if he's a fan favorite and a complete stud. I was thinking the other day with Jose gone I don't really have a personal love for any of our players for the first time in a long time. There's usually one or two I will defend til death so to speak. Right now I'd be OK with trading any of them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Versus another half-assed season of not really being able to contend nor spend? 

This regime had Sale, Q, and Eaton to trade for the rebuild. Think how bad the rebuild would go without guys like that to trade. No Gio, no Cease, no Kopech, no Mocada, no Eloy, no Lopez. They can’t draft well. They don’t develop players well. Another rebuild would be a long disaster with the same dopes calling the shots.

• Like 2