2023-24 NFL Season Thread

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah imagine being a first year OC and if you slip up you're gonna get canned along with the HC. Who's going to take that job? Surely not anyone who actually deserves a OC role. Good luck scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

The other side of this is that having access to Williams potentially sets you up for a big career boost if he has a good first year. Bobby Slowik of the Texans may well wind up a head coach this year thanks to CJ Stroud after 1 year as an OC.

8 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

How do they make that promise/commitment to any potential incoming OC, though?

They canā€™t, and as chw42 suggested, that arrangement will lend itself to an unknown looking for their first coaching job.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As I said yesterday, if they're doing this and they draft a QB, theyĀ mustĀ commit to the same staff in 2025 barring their OC trying to overthrow the US government or something like that. They cannot fire their OC or HC just because the team or the QB struggles in 2024. Make that decision today, right now. Like add a poison pill into their contracts or something like that, their salary is $1 million in 2025 but it costs the team $10 million to fire them.

I believe this is the plan. 2024 is going to be all about the progess of the QB they draft. 2025 will be the make it or break it year for every single person in the organization including Kevin Warren.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The other side of this is that having access to Williams potentially sets you up for a big career boost if he has a good first year. Bobby Slowik of the Texans may well wind up a head coach this year thanks to CJ Stroud after 1 year as an OC.

Williams could be a huge draw and I wouldn't be surprised if they hire someone who he's worked with before, like a Kliff Kingsbury. If it wasn't for Williams, that hire probably wouldn't make sense and I doubt Kingsbury would want to do it.

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I believe this is the plan. 2024 is going to be all about the progess of the QB they draft. 2025 will be the make it or break it year for every single person in the organization including Kevin Warren.Ā 

I'm saying this repeatedly right now because I expect the opposite to happen. And yeah, the opposite happened with Fox, the opposite happened with Nagy, so the Bears have a pattern here of "not firing the coach, drafting a QB, then firing the coach first year".

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As I said yesterday, if they're doing this and they draft a QB, theyĀ mustĀ commit to the same staff in 2025 barring their OC trying to overthrow the US government or something like that. They cannot fire their OC or HC just because the team or the QB struggles in 2024. Make that decision today, right now. Like add a poison pill into their contracts or something like that, their salary is $1 million in 2025 but it costs the team $10 million to fire them.

Agreed

13 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

They canā€™t, and as chw42 suggested, that arrangement will lend itself to an unknown looking for their first coaching job.Ā 

Unless the OC is Reich who could take over as HC.Ā 

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They Bearsed it up again.Ā  Now they're gona bring in a new coordinator to work with Fields and be content with maybe being good instead of cleaning house and trying to be great.Ā  God I hate this freakin team.

They are bringing in a new cooridnator to work with Caleb Williams.Ā 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Yeah imagine being a first year OC and if you slip up you're gonna get canned along with the HC. Who's going to take that job? Surely not anyone who actually deserves a OC role. Good luck scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

The bag-head emoji has such unexpected range

• Paper Bag 3

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

A new OC likely means the Caleb Williams show is coming to town! Bears gotta find a way to trade down and grab Harrison Junior as well.Ā 

Williams and the Ken Griffey Junior of wide receivers gonna be awesome to watch every Sunday!Ā 

I feel like keeping Eberflus makes it more likely that Fields is staying.

Also, there's no "trading down" to get MHJ and getting Williams. You either get Williams orĀ trade down to get MHJ or take Williams and give New England a ransom for MHJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Agreed

I double agree to this. I think the tell tale sign will be who do they hire.Ā  If they hire Roman, maybe they are sticking with Field(s) one more season and than I would say the clock is really one year to get it right with Fields (and continue stockpiling assets and building up the rest of the team).

If they hire a Thomas Brown of the Panthers (not sure why everyone raves about him - but he's young and up and coming) or a Frank Reich - than I presume it means you are going to draft a QB at #1 - and at that point, I think you have to be committed to stomaching that Flus and OC will be here for 2 years (barring some massive off the field incident).Ā Ā 

13 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Ā 

Incredible that the Packers hit on yet another QB and are then 4th in draft value. Night and day the way that org has been run compared to the Bears.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/sep/30/the-green-bay-packers-where-fans-rather-than-a-billionaire-are-the-owners
Ā 

This is an interesting article I stumbled across a few months ago. It's a really interesting topic. And one question I asked after reading this: is the packers success on the field largely a function of this community based non-profit ownership? Because the fans are the owners and the thing they prioritize most is winning. The thing that many owners like Reinsdorf prioritize is profits, which rarely aligns with winning. I know which model I prefer as a fan!

28 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Ā 

Incredible that the Packers hit on yet another QB and are then 4th in draft value. Night and day the way that org has been run compared to the Bears.

Each QB sat for years to learn the position. Maybe that's the common link.Ā 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

I have a much bigger problem at this point with them keeping Fields than I do Flus.Ā 

Eberflus had three epic failures to lose games and has seen both coordinators and two other hires fired already.Ā Ā 

If they are moving on from Fields then clean house and start over.

Only saving grace is if there is a proven OC brought in that is not jumping ship in 12 months if they succeed like Gase did.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Harry Chappas