2023-24 NFL Season Thread

55 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If they know they're taking Williams and are getting offered a 2nd for Fields, they really should take that and run. By my count, there are 5 teams that need a new QB: Atlanta, Denver, Pittsburgh, New England, Las Vegas. 

You can probably cross off Vegas from the teams that are interested in Fields. There's no way they think Getsy + Fields will work a 2nd time.

Denver wants to get rid of a QB that has a similar problem to Fields: holding onto the ball for way too long and they're willing to eat a lot of dead money to do it. So they're probably out. They're way more likely to draft McCarthy at 12. 

Pittsburgh is a fit as they do not have a high 1st rounder to draft a high-end QB. But Arthur Smith's history with Tannehill and them already having Pickett could mean that they go the cheap route and sign Tannehill for peanuts to create a QB competition. That's way cheaper than giving up draft picks for Fields. They could also be in the sweepstakes for Russell Wilson. 

Atlanta is another good fit and he'd step into a good situation there. The question is, why wouldn't they just try to get Russell Wilson? Or if New England passes on Jayden Daniels, why not draft him instead of trading for Fields? Sure, it's the 8th pick vs. the 43rd in that situation, but you're also getting someone for 5 years instead of 2. 

New England is a fit, especially if they go for MHJ at 3 instead of Daniels. But in the case they go QB at #3, they'd have no reason to trade for Fields. Even if they go MHJ at 3, they would also be in the Wilson sweepstakes. 

I guess you could argue that of the 4 teams (ATL, PIT, NE, LV) that are probably in on Wilson, 3 will end up being interested in Fields, but 2 of those teams have a top 10 pick and could end up taking a QB. Vegas isn't really an option for Fields. 

Ideally, Vegas gets Wilson. Then you'll have PIT, ATL, and NE possibly chasing after Fields. Only 1 of NE or ATL can draft Daniels. So it's likely one of them still needs a QB. 

Competition for Fields' services will probably depend on what Pittsburgh wants to do. If they end up going cheap and signing Tannehill, there might only be 1 team that will actually want Fields. 

I think they'll get a deal done, I just don't expect a bidding war. 

With New England - the other thing is, I don't see why New England has to make a decision on the QB this quickly.  I would think they would wait for a lot longer and really pour over the current crop of candidates.    

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

With New England - the other thing is, I don't see why New England has to make a decision on the QB this quickly.  I would think they would wait for a lot longer and really pour over the current crop of candidates.    

I also don't think New England cares about winning much next year. So Fields doesn't really fit their timeline.

For the first time in decades NE has completely new management.  I don't think we can ascribe a trend to a team without a front office or coaching history to base it on.  They may well try win now mode.  Maybe the go full rebuild.  No one really knows.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the first time in decades NE has completely new management.  I don't think we can ascribe a trend to a team without a front office or coaching history to base it on.  They may well try win now mode.  Maybe the go full rebuild.  No one really knows.

Everyone wants to do it with the Sox with a new GM and second year coach. Mayo has been with the organization longer than that. 

Edited by ptatc

45 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Peter King finishing his final column at SI with a thought that didn’t require him to leave his desk is about where I have assessed him for the last 15 or so years 

To have a generational predicted QB and a generational predicted WR on the board with the #1 pick, and to choose neither seems like borderline negligence, even with all of the picks.  Not to mention Fields is about to get really expensive, really quickly, and building around a guy who still hasn't been healthy or broken out seems rife with a lot of downside.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

To have a generational predicted QB and a generational predicted WR on the board with the #1 pick, and to choose neither seems like borderline negligence, even with all of the picks.  Not to mention Fields is about to get really expensive, really quickly, and building around a guy who still hasn't been healthy or broken out seems rife with a lot of downside.

It’s too much of a “close your eyes and wish really hard” at this point, and you shouldn’t be doing that with two years in a row having the best pick in the draft 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

1) Bears decide they like Maye more
2) Trade down to Commanders, take Maye
3) Use other picks from Commanders trade, hypothetical Fields trade and more to move from #9 to #3
4) Take Harrison
5) ???
6) Profit

Mostly likely it's

1) Take Williams
2) Take Odzune/Bowers
3) Trade Fields for some extra picks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

1) Bears decide they like Maye more
2) Trade down to Commanders, take Maye
3) Use other picks from Commanders trade, hypothetical Fields trade and more to move from #9 to #3
4) Take Harrison
5) ???
6) Profit

Mostly likely it's

1) Take Williams
2) Take Odzune/Bowers
3) Trade Fields for some extra picks

I get the idea that some see red flags with Caleb.  Maybe they do like Maye more and are just slow playing this.  But I still can't see a scenario where passing up all three of the top players (Williams, Maye, Harrison) in this draft looks like a good idea three years from now.

Heck they already blew missing out on the OSU QB last year, but got bailed out by getting the #1 pick again.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Peter King finishing his final column at SI with a thought that didn’t require him to leave his desk is about where I have assessed him for the last 15 or so years 

I absolutely am in the opposite camp as you. I love every single thing about his column most weeks.  Just find it so enjoyable and if something isn't interesting I skip pass, but just a lot of interesting nuggets.

I am as pro QB as possible - but his proposal for the Bears is very reasonable. Those are not like overly favorable offers skewed heavy to the Bears, if anything I think Bears could potentially get a bit more out of Atlanta in that scenario.  And I'll be clear - if Poles did that, I would have zero issue with those moves, even if I don't think Field(s) is the guy, I think the Bears would continue to be in such a strong position.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I absolutely am in the opposite camp as you. I love every single thing about his column most weeks.  Just find it so enjoyable and if something isn't interesting I skip pass, but just a lot of interesting nuggets.

I am as pro QB as possible - but his proposal for the Bears is very reasonable. Those are not like overly favorable offers skewed heavy to the Bears, if anything I think Bears could potentially get a bit more out of Atlanta in that scenario.  And I'll be clear - if Poles did that, I would have zero issue with those moves, even if I don't think Field(s) is the guy, I think the Bears would continue to be in such a strong position.  

He has been coming on the score the last few months and clearly thinks Fields has more in him.  I just don’t think you can trust a maybe at this point.  They just doubled down on their shitty mediocre staff though, so I guess the next kick in the balls should be coming 

I hate that no professional commentator on any show (that I’ve heard) has said the Bears should move on from Fields when they’ve been asked directly. They all give evasive answers and say something like “we don’t know how it is inside the locker room” or something similar. Just say yes. One person just have the balls to say it when everyone knows they’re drafting a quarterback anyway.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I get the idea that some see red flags with Caleb.  Maybe they do like Maye more and are just slow playing this.  But I still can't see a scenario where passing up all three of the top players (Williams, Maye, Harrison) in this draft looks like a good idea three years from now.

Heck they already blew missing out on the OSU QB last year, but got bailed out by getting the #1 pick again.

I really believe we’re going to look back at this smoke-screened, misinformation time period and realize how ridiculous it ever sounded that the Bears would keep Fields during a talented QB draft. Let’s be honest, there’s no haul that is worth a Top Tier QB. I’d like to believe the same talent evaluators on the Bears learned their lesson from passing on Stroud. Although It cannot be considered a “mistake” how everything unfolded last draft. They benefited tremendously, and are still cashing in on the rewards. But now is the time to take advantage of our position, to improve the most important position. 

16 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

I hate that no professional commentator on any show (that I’ve heard) has said the Bears should move on from Fields when they’ve been asked directly. They all give evasive answers and say something like “we don’t know how it is inside the locker room” or something similar. Just say yes. One person just have the balls to say it when everyone knows they’re drafting a quarterback anyway.

Parkins from 670 and Kaplan from 1000 (Sports radio hosts for all you out of towners) are probably the only two I can think of who are  outspoken about drafting a QB. And both of them are already outspoken personalities who bring heat on themselves regularly for their takes.

I really believe the others within the media are scared to voice their opinions, and risk having Fields stay. Or openly pushing for Fields and then having another QB. No one wants to be wrong. Harrison Graham on the Bears Now Youtube channel has been teasing making his QB opinion for months. Fans have been calling him out for it. By now everyone has had their minds set. If you cannot speak out, one way or another, your sports opinion is compromised. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Parkins from 670 and Kaplan from 1000 (Sports radio hosts for all you out of towners) are probably the only two I can think of who are  outspoken about drafting a QB. And both of them are already outspoken personalities who bring heat on themselves regularly for their takes.

I really believe the others within the media are scared to voice their opinions, and risk having Fields stay. Or openly pushing for Fields and then having another QB. No one wants to be wrong. Harrison Graham on the Bears Now Youtube channel has been teasing making his QB opinion for months. Fans have been calling him out for it. By now everyone has had their minds set. If you cannot speak out, one way or another, your sports opinion is compromised. 

I think pretty much all the guys at 1000 have been fairly vocal about taking a QB. But I think they've also been pretty measured about their takes, and I mostly agree with them. Fields hasn't been good enough the last three years. If there is a QB you identify in the draft that you believe is/will be better than Fields...take the QB. If there is an insane offer out there for No. 1, you have to look at it, but I think Waddle-Silvy-Carmen have all been fairly strong in the "Upgrade the QB Spot" if your guy is there. I don't think that is being "half-in" or "half-out" IMO. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Peter King said the Bears would win the Super Bowl when they traded for Jay Cutler. Not quite.

3 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Completely agree with you, especially at the end. And I think I phrased it poorly. I was talking more about the analysts and reporters that get interviewed by the hosts, not the hosts themselves. I know it’s them trying to play it safe, but screw that. I want to hear your opinion on it, not a non-answer.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I think pretty much all the guys at 1000 have been fairly vocal about taking a QB. But I think they've also been pretty measured about their takes, and I mostly agree with them. Fields hasn't been good enough the last three years. If there is a QB you identify in the draft that you believe is/will be better than Fields...take the QB. If there is an insane offer out there for No. 1, you have to look at it, but I think Waddle-Silvy-Carmen have all been fairly strong in the "Upgrade the QB Spot" if your guy is there. I don't think that is being "half-in" or "half-out" IMO. 

I also think everyone has been pretty measured because they recognize that Fields has physical tools, that very few QB's have and he can throw the ball downfield with accuracy (+ strong intangibles)....he just can't read. I think it is true that the Bears put limited talent and a pourous oline around him. One could even say despite some upgrades made last season (acquiring Moore, signing Davis - but he was out most of the season and adding Wright is huge (but he's still a rookie at RT), they still had significant issues protecting him given how bad the interior line play is (when the center is being blown up - being able to be comfortable in the pocket is a real hard thing so can you really blame him for bailing). 

So I get why people look at it and say - if you can get "Da Haul" and move from 1 to 2 and than to 4 or 8 or whatever and line up a ton of 2nd round picks, future 1st rounders, plus maybe get a Bijan Robinson or something as a player (who is on a rookie deal), than it gets difficult.  

Peter King was awesome. He wasn't necessarily insightful, but he put out THE gossip column for the nfl. It was great, Breer does ok, but I think the old guard was extremely tight with King and there's still a lot of old guard.

Interesting thing I heard on the radio earlier, as it relates to Fields. 

The Bears most likely have not handed over any sort of playbook to Fields and most likely won't because of the upcoming decision at the top of the draft. I'm not super familiar with timelines and when QB's get a playbook, especially with a new OC coming in (and an HC that doesn't really touch the offense) but the longer you wait on your decision, the longer the QB goes without the playbook, which seems troubling. 

Just now, Tony said:

Interesting thing I heard on the radio earlier, as it relates to Fields. 

The Bears most likely have not handed over any sort of playbook to Fields and most likely won't because of the upcoming decision at the top of the draft. I'm not super familiar with timelines and when QB's get a playbook, especially with a new OC coming in (and an HC that doesn't really touch the offense) but the longer you wait on your decision, the longer the QB goes without the playbook, which seems troubling. 

If they aren't giving him a playbook... in the words of Hawk

HE GAWN!