2023-24 NFL Season Thread

51 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I am not a big Clowney fan but I would rather take Odunze and try to fill in the gap on the other side of Sweat with a one year guy.  Chase Young just signed with the Saints for 1-year at $13 million guaranteed.  Regarding Clowney and Reddick…

The Eagles now have Graham, Huff, Reddick, and Sweat. They restructured Sweat, so they're probably keeping him. Apparently Reddick's entire cap hit would be dead money if he were traded, so he might actually fetch some value in a trade if the Eagles are paying for it all this year. 

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

His son also plays football in freaking Colorado...

He said Colorado isn't cold during the season his son plays and they get out of there after the year ends before it gets cold. 

Eh, he grew up in DC,, and Oklahoma, both certainly more mild than Chicago but not like the dude has never seen snow. Also, the league is riddled with QBs mostly from california. Big 10 QBs have not been the dominant force despite the tough defenses and worse weather preparing them. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah because who needs to go to class.

I mean the NIL $$$ kind of signaled the end of the "student athlete". You are a professional if you are getting paid to play sports. Doesn't matter if you are 12 year old making mint playing esports or a 20 year old division 1 college football player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Eh, he grew up in DC,, and Oklahoma, both certainly more mild than Chicago but not like the dude has never seen snow. Also, the league is riddled with QBs mostly from california. Big 10 QBs have not been the dominant force despite the tough defenses and worse weather preparing them. 

Well, minus one Brady...and now Stroud.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I mean the NIL $$$ kind of signaled the end of the "student athlete". You are a professional if you are getting paid to play sports. Doesn't matter if you are 12 year old making mint playing esports or a 20 year old division 1 college football player. 

Is the logical end major colleges just hiring athletes to represent them? End all eligibility restrictions and just have a  NFL minor league with universities as owners of the franchise? 

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jerry Jeudy just got $41 million guaranteed from the Browns after four seasons of inconsistency.  Yeah, I’m taking Odunze at #9 all day.

I’m with you. I think at some point I’d prefer to be like the packers and live on later round receivers…but what separates edge and WR is good edges hit FA but only decent WR2s may hit the market and then get WR 1 money.

OT though is tough, they also don’t become available.

• Thanks 2

I will say - seeing these wide receiver contracts - Mike Williams signing for $15M coming off an ACL injury - it certainly makes me want to say just take the darn receiver and deal with the having a couple holes on the dline (its too bad though - cause the Hunter deal could have bought everyone time and Bears could have 100% afforded to do it while paying Keenan).  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I’m with you. I think at some point I’d prefer to be like the packers and live on later round receivers…but what separates edge and WR is good edges hit FA but only decent WR2s may hit the market and then get WR 1 money.

OT though is tough, they also don’t become available.

Maybe Caleb is also a guy like Rodgers / Stroud / etc. that can make the WR.  I’ll take 3 stud WRs for now but it would be nice if Caleb could also do this and set up Allen’s eventual replacement(s).

Edited by WhiteSox2023

I heard today Kiper has 20 WR in this years draft with a 1-4th round grade on them. I know Kiper isn’t what he used to be, but others have discussed how good of a draft class this is for WR. I still think I’d prefer an edge rusher at 9, it’s a bigger need for this team over the next 2 years, but if one of the top 3 WR are there at 9, would be hard to pass on them. 

I would also add the 4 teams that were in the Conference Championship games this season…no one had a better WR than DJ Moore. And you could make the argument the only WR better than Allen is St. Brown. (Diggs looks washed at this point) That isn’t mentioning teams like GB and Houston, who had explosive offensives with no highly selected WR’s on the roster

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I heard today Kiper has 20 WR in this years draft with a 1-4th round grade on them. I know Kiper isn’t what he used to be, but others have discussed how good of a draft class this is for WR. I still think I’d prefer an edge rusher at 9, it’s a bigger need for this team over the next 2 years, but if one of the top 3 WR are there at 9, would be hard to pass on them. 

I would also add the 4 teams that were in the Conference Championship games this season…no one had a better WR than DJ Moore. And you could make the argument the only WR better than Allen is St. Brown. (Diggs looks washed at this point) That isn’t mentioning teams like GB and Houston, who had explosive offensives with no highly selected WR’s on the roster

If they don't draft a LT at 9, then they fucking deserve to lose every game.

14 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If they don't draft a LT at 9, then they fucking deserve to lose every game.

Good chance Alt isn't there, and the next best LT is Fashanu, who is projected to go around 14-15. 

So I think going nuclear if they don't draft a LT at 9 isn't the best approach...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Good chance Alt isn't there, and the next best LT is Fashanu, who is projected to go around 14-15. 

So I think going nuclear if they don't draft a LT at 9 isn't the best approach...

Well, by failing to address that position for essentially my entire lifetime, they've backed themselves into a corner. They'll have to take the 14th best player at #9, or trade down and gamble that he's still there.

Odunze or any other WR isn't going to be worth anything if you don't get a LT who can give the QB time to throw.

I'd give up future picks to go up and get Alt but I know they won't do that.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Well, by failing to address that position for essentially my entire lifetime, they've backed themselves into a corner. They'll have to take the 14th best player at #9, or trade down and gamble that he's still there.

Odunze or any other WR isn't going to be worth anything if you don't get a LT who can give the QB time to throw.

From a pure stats standpoint, Braxton Jones had a PFF grade of 68.7, ranking him 33rd among 70 qualified OTs. Darnell Wright was at 62.4, ranking him 52nd among 70 qualified OTs. 

LT can absolutely be upgraded, but I believe there are better uses of that pick at this point. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This is literally the Ja'Marr Chase / Penei Sewell debate and you'll never guess what happened

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They were both all pro players and you'd be happy with either of them?

Oh so the opposite of drafting a Receiver not being worth anything without great tackles and it destroying the QB.

21 hours ago, Tony said:

This draft is so deep at WR that you can definitely still get a decent one at 75. 

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This draft is so deep at WR that you can definitely still get a decent one at 75. 

Probably will come down to how much they love Odunze if he is there, vs. Turner/Verse. I would guess that is what they will be deciding on, and if there is a compelling offer out there to move down and get some more picks in the 2nd and 3rd. 

So Athletic just posted a plausible worst case scenario mock (IMO)

1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. (Vikings Trade Up) Maye
4. MJH
5. Nabers
6. Odunze
7. Alt
8. (Broncos trade up) McCarthy
9. Dallas Turner

Worst case to me? Can't get top 3 receiver AND miss out on the trade out opportunity for JJ. MAYBE people want to trade in for CB1 or Edge 1 or jump Jets for OT2. But it'll be tough.