Moncada actually dealing with a back issue.

Greg Hibbard

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't understand why he needs a rehab stint. Just wait until he's healthy enough to play and activate him. He missed like a week and a half how rusty can he possibly be?

I present Exhibit A: Eloy skipping a rehab stint

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The dirty little secret is MLB only sanctions the WBC because they have an agreement with the player's association in that every player is required to buy personal insurance…

That is false. The WBC pays for the insurance for all players:

“One premium is negotiated with NFP to cover every player. An underwriter reviews each player’s medical records. Players are then placed into two buckets: insurable under that one umbrella premium or uninsurable.”

“One agent described a player taking out his own insurance for the tournament as “so damn expensive.” It’s not believed to have ever been done for the WBC.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2023-02-18/why-major-league-players-need-insurance-world-baseball-classic

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I present Exhibit A: Eloy skipping a rehab stint

Not all injuries are equal. Just because one ayer didn't need one doesn't mean another will or won't. A hamstring is different than the spine. 

On 4/14/2023 at 8:19 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

I concede the point, well played.

Allow me to divide the statement. 

I get the sense Burger wants to play, I don't get the same impression about Moncada and provided statements from others close to the organization who feel the same way.

The question that begs to be answered is what is in Moncada’s makeup that he doesn’t want to play or seems like he doesn’t care. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

5 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Is Moncada just getting more jacked, or is he....a little chubby?  He looks slightly thicker every time I see him.

I would say chubby! He is as slow as he ever before running out a groundball. Of course just go look at photos of Moncada when he first was traded to the Sox. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Not all injuries are equal. Just because one ayer didn't need one doesn't mean another will or won't. A hamstring is different than the spine. 

I understand what you’re saying, but regardless of the injury I’d imagine a couple rehab games to help get his timing back at the plate wouldn’t be the worst idea.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He was a kid. Men fill out. He’s far from chubby. 

I agree he isn't chubby, I was using that in a facetious manner. Yet he is bigger and a wider in the waist. He wasn't a kid then, the fact is he was 21 years old when he came up as a rookie for the Sox. Yes as male adults get older their metabolism changes, but that's when they make adjustments on their diet and workout regime. There are plenty of major league baseball players that come up at 21 and several years later they are still the same size and remain in great shape. This is especially necessary and critical for 2nd basemen and shortstops. Look at TA, he might have gotten a bit bigger in his arms and upper body, but his legs and waist are still lean like he was when he came up as a rookie. 

Again, there is this "Pro Moncada" segment in this forum that loves to make excuses for him and rationalize all of his failures. He simply got lazy and isn't in as good of shape to maybe still play second base, as opposed to remaining slower and be ok for third base. If his body was in better shape maybe he wouldn't be having so many hamstring injuries the last few years. 

It is amazing though as one poster mentioned, when the topic of Moncada comes up, the sensitivity and hitting nerves really intensifies. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I agree he isn't chubby, I was using that in a facetious manner. Yet he is bigger and a wider in the waist. He wasn't a kid then, the fact is he was 21 years old when he came up as a rookie for the Sox. Yes as male adults get older their metabolism changes, but that's when they make adjustments on their diet and workout regime. There are plenty of major league baseball players that come up at 21 and several years later they are still the same size and remain in great shape. This is especially necessary and critical for 2nd basemen and shortstops. Look at TA, he might have gotten a bit bigger in his arms and upper body, but his legs and waist are still lean like he was when he came up as a rookie. 

Again, there is this "Pro Moncada" segment in this forum that loves to make excuses for him and rationalize all of his failures. He simply got lazy and isn't in as good of shape to maybe still play second base, as opposed to remaining slower and be ok for third base. If his body was in better shape maybe he wouldn't be having so many hamstring injuries the last few years. 

It is amazing though as one poster mentioned, when the topic of Moncada comes up, the sensitivity and hitting nerves really intensifies. 

Wtf are you going on about?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Wtf are you going on about?

I think I made it very clear. I think Moncada is a bust and for sure extremely overpaid for his lack of production and constant injuries. As I said, I think it's from a lack of training and caring on his part. He was the #1 prospect in baseball and brought here in the first major Sox rebuild trade and was suppose to be a all-star second baseman. He got heavy and slower and because he wasn't good at 2nd, he was moved to third, instead of making him work harder at being good at 2nd. 

I am not in the "Pro Moncada" camp in this forum who always gets offended when Moncada is criticized for his failures and constantly feel they have to defend him with this hope and fantasy that he will be a star eventually. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I think I made it very clear. I think Moncada is a bust and for sure extremely overpaid for his lack of production and constant injuries. As I said, I think it's from a lack of training and caring on his part. He was the #1 prospect in baseball and brought here in the first major Sox rebuild trade and was suppose to be a all-star second baseman. He got heavy and slower and because he wasn't good at 2nd, he was moved to third, instead of making him worked harder at being good at 2nd. 

I am not in the "Pro Moncada" camp in this forum who always gets offended when Moncada is criticized for his failures and constantly feel they have to defend him with this hope and fantasy that he will be a star eventually. 

He was actually a SS originally...then moved around because of the presence of Xander Bogaerts and eventually Tim Anderson with the Sox. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

He was actually a SS originally...then moved around because of the presence of Xander Bogaerts and eventually Tim Anderson with the Sox. 

That might be so way back in his early time in the Boston organization, but at the time of the trade and when he was officially the #1 prospect, he was listed at 2nd. 

9 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I think I made it very clear. I think Moncada is a bust and for sure extremely overpaid for his lack of production and constant injuries. As I said, I think it's from a lack of training and caring on his part. He was the #1 prospect in baseball and brought here in the first major Sox rebuild trade and was suppose to be a all-star second baseman. He got heavy and slower and because he wasn't good at 2nd, he was moved to third, instead of making him work harder at being good at 2nd. 

It’s hard to tell what you’re trying to get at. 

20 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I was concerned about Moncada when that car dealer story came out. That was definitely not a good sign, I told myself that I would keep that story in the back of my mind and revisit in 2024. 

A 21-year-old, 6-foot-2, 205 pound switch hitting native of Cuba, Moncada regarded as baseball’s top prospect by MLB.com and Baseball America. One of the comparisons MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo offered for Moncada was “Robinson Cano with more speed,” referring to the Seattle Mariners All-Star (and possible future Hall of Fame) second baseman who has 278 home runs and a .307/.355/.498 career slash line. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-white-sox/examining-yoan-moncada-baseballs-no-1-prospect-and-newest-member-white-sox

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to Moncada actually dealing with a back issue.