This team is going to lose 90 plus games...

LittleHurtCG

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I am as frustrated as anyone, but we all know even in the best of times, the Sox go through a 16 game stretch where they lose 10 games. Of course, starting the season that way doesn't give much hope it's going to get dramatically better. Defense and the bullpen are killing this team.

It’s the bullpen that’s killing them, and outside of an injury to Cease, it was the one thing that could have made this year’s team worse than last year’s team.  

To me the biggest issue is player development.

no organization is going to develop perfect players, but they can develop players who will consistently fit into their big league roster and be serviceable.

this organization seems to just draft talent and hope it all works out after a few minor league seasons. Players are consistently coming up with the same defects they were drafted with. Yeah, they’re professionals and ultimately responsible for their own development, but if other organizations have a conprehensive strategy (like Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa, etc.), you end up making the most of your league-minimum players.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

41 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The organization canceled Sox Fest this year. Thye both hate and are afraid of their fanbase it appears. What for profit business cancels an event where thousands of people want to pay thousands of dollars to gather at an event that is soley about your product? 

Plus you have the public comments over the years from JR, Kenny, Hahn, Don Cooper, Ozzie...even Garfein belittling the fan base or mocking them.

Like I've said arrogance literally runs through the entire organization.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s the bullpen that’s killing them, and outside of an injury to Cease, it was the one thing that could have made this year’s team worse than last year’s team.  

Team defense has been terrible again this year as well. Seems to be a theme under Rick Hahn's watch. The guy could care less about fileding a competent defensive team it seems. 

Also, this bullpen is a complete and total dumpster fire and I don't see how it gets better anytime soon. They are likely to be one of the worse Sox bullpens of all time.  80% of the bullpen is pretty much DFA worthy. 

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Plus you have the public comments over the years from JR, Kenny, Hahn, Don Cooper, Ozzie...even Garfein belittling the fan base or mocking them.

Like I've said arrogance literally runs through the entire organization.

Scapegoating the fans has been happening since the start.  Insulting the fanbase and expecting great attendance doesn't make much sense.  It is just one more thing about this organization that got old a long time ago.

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

To me the biggest issue is player development.

no organization is going to develop perfect players, but they can develop players who will consistently fit into their big league roster and be serviceable.

this organization seems to just draft talent and hope it all works out after a few minor league seasons. Players are consistently coming up with the same defects they were drafted with. Yeah, they’re professionals and ultimately responsible for their own development, but if other organizations have a conprehensive strategy (like Cleveland, Minnesota, Tampa, etc.), you end up making the most of your league-minimum players.

To echo/piggyback off your point, most of the regulars that came through the system are guys they acquired in the pre-rebuild fire sale.  For all of the high draft picks spent during the rebuild, what do they have to show for it?  The rebuild really was one single wave of players coming up around the same time.  There was no pipeline of talent established through the tanking years, so they are basically where they were pre-rebuild- a patchwork of talent with no depth behind them and little margin for error if and when things go wrong.  Maxed out, no depth, and simply not good enough to compete.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Team defense has been terrible again this year as well. Seems to be a theme under Rick Hahn's watch. The guy could care less about fileding a competent defensive team it seems. 

Also, this bullpen is a complete and total dumpster fire and I don't see how it gets better anytime soon. They are likely to be one of the worse Sox bullpens of all time.  80% of the bullpen is pretty much DFA worthy. 

Team defense has been better - the biggest defensive issues have been from bench players - Alberto/Burger at 3B because Moncada is hurt, Sheets in RF instead of Colas, etc.  Outside of the Twins series, and  the Burger gaffe at 3B yesterday, the defense hasn't really been the issue.  Its been mostly terrible pitching, and then when the pitching is solid no one hits.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Team defense has been better - the biggest defensive issues have been from bench players - Alberto/Burger at 3B because Moncada is hurt, Sheets in RF instead of Colas, etc.  Outside of the Twins series, and  the Burger gaffe at 3B yesterday, the defense hasn't really been the issue.  Its been mostly terrible pitching, and then when the pitching is solid no one hits.  

The team you are describing sounds like a mediocre one.  How do you see them turning this thing around? They play some big boy teams the rest of this month and are in danger of getting completely buried before May 1. 

• Like 1

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

The team you are describing sounds like a mediocre one.  How do you see them turning this thing around? They play some big boy teams the rest of this month and are in danger of getting completely buried before May 1. 

Sox look dreadful so far.  Not going to try to convince you or anyone else otherwise.  That said, there are 146 games left to play (90% of the season).  Moncada and TA should be back in a week, or so.  Hendriks and Crochet sometime in May.  Will they and others just get hurt again? Perhaps.  But I will choose hope for now.  

Upcoming schedule is very tough.  Next 16 are 3 vs. PHIL, 3 @ TB, 3 @ TOR, 4 vs. TB, and 3 vs. MN.  They need to come out that stretch not worse than 13-19.  Can the Sox go 7-9 in that stretch?  Not if they keeping playing like they have the 10 days.  Even at 13-19 (6 games under .500) 32 games in, they still have over 80% of the season left and the May and June schedules are quite favorable for the Sox.  The season will certainly not be over.  I also don't think a whole lot of the Guardians or Twins.  Twins pitching is super overachieving, and their offense ranks towards the bottom of the league.  It will even out.   85 wins might take this division.  

I certainly understand the frustration.  I am very frustrated as well.  But there is a ton of baseball left to play, and rather the gnash my teeth and be miserable on a daily basis, I will try to maintain some hope of brighter days ahead this summer.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox look dreadful so far.  Not going to try to convince you or anyone else otherwise.  That said, there are 146 games left to play (90% of the season).  Moncada and TA should be back in a week, or so.  Hendriks and Crochet sometime in May.  Will they and others just get hurt again? Perhaps.  But I will choose hope for now.  

Upcoming schedule is very tough.  Next 16 are 3 vs. PHIL, 3 @ TB, 3 @ TOR, 4 vs. TB, and 3 vs. MN.  They need to come out that stretch not worse than 13-19.  Can the Sox go 7-9 in that stretch?  Not if they keeping playing like they have the 10 days.  Even at 13-19 (6 games under .500) 32 games in, they still have over 80% of the season left and the May and June schedules are quite favorable for the Sox.  The season will certainly not be over.  I also don't think a whole lot of the Guardians or Twins.  Twins pitching is super overachieving, and their offense ranks towards the bottom of the league.  It will even out.   85 wins might take this division.  

I certainly understand the frustration.  I am very frustrated as well.  But there is a ton of baseball left to play, and rather the gnash my teeth and be miserable on a daily basis, I will try to maintain some hope of brighter days ahead this summer.  

Of course the Twins are underachieving offensively with 4-5 regulars out. 

They have a much better defense, Top 5, better bullpen (not even close) and much more team speed/aggressiveness on the basepaths. 

And we are already 3-4 games behind two teams, not just one. 

Not to mention we hear this same exact argument every year about the Twins and/or Guardians having multiple weaknesses. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Of course there was losing their best hitter and second best pitcher and closer that might add to last year’s team being better than this year’s team.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:27 PM, LittleHurtCG said:

Will the Sox even win a single series in April? 

3x Baltimore at home. The O's curbstomped the Sox head to head last year. Tough series 

3X Phillies at home: Philly is out to a tough start but they are defending NL champs. Sox also not off to good start against NL teams this year. 

3X at Tampa. Have fun. 

3x at Toronto. Sox always struggle in Toronto and Blue Jays offense is really really good. 

4x Tampa at home: Have fun. 

Sox will be lucky to win 5 games the rest of this month. 

Winning 5 games is being overly optimistic!

10 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

• Like 1

Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Vaughn, Grandal, Colas and TA need to hit more home runs....a lot more to cover weaknesses with this pitching staff.

Home runs are also what bring fans out to the ballpark.  Having other teams bomb the Sox out at home is what will keep fans away.

3 hours ago, Johno said:

This will be a 95+ loss season, start thinking about trading some of the older veterans.  Lance Lynn would be the number one person to move

Lynn, Giolito, Grandal, Hendriks immediately come to mind.

• Like 1