4/14 - BAL at CWS - Wells vs Clevinger - 7:10 PM ET

Capn12

14 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Looks can be deceiving but nobody on this team looks happy to be playing. And the lack of chemistry also looks apparent. Who is the leader of this team? If it's TA, we are screwed. Gio or Lance? Both look like garbage. If the players aren't happy to be paid millions to play a game then why should I care? 

Robert and Cease are the only truly compelling players... 

• Like 1

I really like my new Birmingham Barons cap but I guess it is bad luck....tomorrow I'm gonna try the red and black crossed bats cap from the Allstar game a couple years back....you see I'll change things up if it's not working....Eloy lose the earring.

• Like 1

The Sox have now had two games where they led in the 7th inning or later and lost. Diekman has been instrumental in both of those games, both lost in the 7th inning.

And here's something that's being lost, granted injuries, but the Sox offense has now scored three runs or less in seven of the 14 games played. 50%. And four of the last five games.

If memory serves they were around or exactly at 50% in this same category last year. Maybe it wasn't all TLR?

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

Sox players look unprepared. Baseball I.Q is pretty much nothing. If Reynaldo wants to become a closer he needs to get his mind right. He seems to be a mental midget. Don't know why he nibbles with that stuff he has. Not sure what is Grifols obsession with Diekman. It's gonna be a long year. I really want to tear it down, but not with hahn, Kenny and crew in charge. Only players I would keep are the 3 OFs. 

I see a continued trend from last year where they haven’t been able to put it together. Either they pitch well and don’t hit, or they hit well and don’t pitch and they rarely put the two together. At best, this team looks like a .500 team. 

They probably benefited from playing their division so much that they didn’t have to compete as much against the other divisions and that is how they could finish in second, just what JR’s philosophy is. Now that they have this new schedule, they just can’t keep pace with the other teams. The rest of the league got better, the Sox did not.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JoshPR said:

Sox players look unprepared. Baseball I.Q is pretty much nothing. If Reynaldo wants to become a closer he needs to get his mind right. He seems to be a mental midget. Don't know why he nibbles with that stuff he has. Not sure what is Grifols obsession with Diekman. It's gonna be a long year. I really want to tear it down, but not with hahn, Kenny and crew in charge. Only players I would keep are the 3 OFs. 

Sox players have been "baseball-stupid" for years. It's part of the issue. Garfein in his last podcast was lamenting how bad their fundamentals are.

• Like 3

If Scotty Pods was right and Lopez walked Mullins because he was upset about that slow roller that loaded the bases, he needs an adjustment in his thinking if he wants to remain a high leverage reliever.

22 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

This is correct in regards to lopez. He failed as a starter because his head is a mess. Middle long reliever was kind of perfect for him and we should've foreseen some issues messing with that. Sox found the one role he was effective in, shouldve left it alone. But ill admit I thought his stuff was good enough to overcome it. 

Part of me still wants (hopes) the Sox can turn it around and at least have a winning season...something, ANYTHING to take some pride in.

But part of me also wants them to lose as many games in as humiliating a way as possible to be completely embarrassed.

The problem with that though is even if that were to happen it wouldn't change a thing...JR won't sell while he's alive, Kenny still hasn't retired and Hahn won't be fired.

A hell of a position for a fan to be in isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The problem with that though is even if that were to happen it wouldn't change a thing...JR won't sell while he's alive, Kenny still hasn't retired and Hahn won't be fired.

I believe Hahn will be fired. And even if it happens it doesn't matter because he'll be replaced with worse. 

11 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

This game really pissed me off. I am still pretty mad about it. Much worse than how I normally feel watching this regularly infuriating team over the last year.  

Anybody with a baseball brain knew the bullpen would break a lot of hearts this year. Just as the Sox hittters do not hit homers in a HR friendly park, the bullpen is a tranwreck once the starter is removed in the fifth or sixth. The Sox major holes have them resembling an horrificly bad team.

1 hour ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Looks can be deceiving but nobody on this team looks happy to be playing. And the lack of chemistry also looks apparent. Who is the leader of this team? If it's TA, we are screwed. Gio or Lance? Both look like garbage. If the players aren't happy to be paid millions to play a game then why should I care? 

Team motto: White Sox baseball: "We play for pay and don't work overtime."

A second motto: "Show us the money and we'll give you an honest day's effort, no more, no less."

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Team motto: White Sox baseball: "We play for pay and don't work overtime."

A second motto: "Show us the money and we'll give you an honest day's effort, no more, no less."

I think you just mean “show me the money!” to steal a Jerry McGuire line.

44 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I believe Hahn will be fired. And even if it happens it doesn't matter because he'll be replaced with worse. 

It’ll be Getz or another loser from the power house organization that is the Royals.

Quote of the Night: 

“I don’t want to say we just beat ourselves, but it feels like every game we kind of feel like we beat ourselves,” Mike Clevinger said. 

It's called fundamentals and not being "baseball-stupid" Mike. The Sox are bad in the first and great in the second.   

8 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

This team / organization makes it very very difficult to be a fan of this team anymore. If I hadn’t invested over 30 years in fandom and I was a younger kid I would not watch this s%*# show organization 

How do you think I feel with 70 years as a White Sox fan.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Anybody with a baseball brain knew the bullpen would break a lot of hearts this year. Just as the Sox hittters do not hit homers in a HR friendly park, the bullpen is a tranwreck once the starter is removed in the fifth or sixth. The Sox major holes have them resembling an horrificly bad team.

I agree with you Greg. The bullpen, especially without Hendriks, is a huge problem. Hahn has spent more money on it than anyone else, and it’s still a mess. Liam is great., but all the others he pays a real big wage are questions. Kelly blows. Graveman must have something wrong with him because he makes few appearances. Bummer looks decent, but another who apparently is on restriction. Diekman is a gas can, who really went out of style with the 3 batter rule. You can tell if he’s good or not that day with his first batter.  If he’s not, you have to get him through 2 more. Lopez is potentially really good, but still goes through stretches where throwing strikes is an issue.And pretty much the rest of the bullpen would be AAA fodder for any other team that would try to call itself a contender.

LaRussa was a huge problem, but RH thought just getting him out of there would fix everything. Wrong again. The bullpen has a 3 run lead and has to get 9 outs. And it’s not even close. 

I know firing Hahn and/or having KW resign might not change much. But it will change something, and something has needed to change for at least 15 years. How any of these guys see what they produced for “sustained” success, and not see they are not worthy of their positions anymore, is beyond me. At least with the Bulls, job for life holder Pax realized this with himself, and told the Reinsdorfs, would then had to make a change. 

Hahns prove yourself again quote shows he thinks he has already proven himself. And he has. He’s proven he’s a bad MLB GM. If he were to ever leave, the only job he would even have a slight shot at would be with a team like the Marlins or Pirates. Teams that never win, but might have a 1 in 20 chance of being interested in him because he might get their young players to sign extensions.

Edited by Dick Allen