2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

Posted (edited)

James retweeted this. A name we need to know?

192. Nate George

OF

Ht: 6'0" | Wt: 195 | B-T: R-R

School: Minooka (Ill.) Community HS Commit/Drafted: Eastern Illinois

Age At Draft: 18.1

An under-the-radar prep prospect entering the 2023 showcase period, George’s raw toolset and performance during Perfect Game’s fall Jupiter tournament is starting to draw scout interest. George is a 6-foot, 190-pound righthanded hitting outfielder with present physicality and double-plus speed. While scouts have some uncertainty about the pure quality of his hit tool, he went 8-for-17 (.471) with a double and four stolen bases as a member of a stacked Chicago Scouts Association travel roster in Jupiter. He has a simple swing with solid bat speed and strength and the ability to drive hard line drives to all fields, but his approach is overly aggressive currently. George has run track and played football in high school and he’s committed to Eastern Illinois.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

The Sox love to draft local in-state guys, so he has to be on their radar and they have to be interested 

They're very different players.  They're both very raw at the plate but (Nate) George is a dynamic athlete/CF'er with game changing speed and above avg power potential.  His speed/power combo makes him a very exciting player who can affect a game in many different ways.  

On 5/12/2024 at 12:27 PM, DirtySox said:

HOMETOWN: Minooka, IL

HEIGHT: 6-0

WEIGHT: 200

BAT/THROW: R-R

COLLEGE COMMITMENT: Eastern Illinois

George is a powder-keg built outfielder with tons of strength in his lower half and physicality in his upper-body and arms. He sinks into his legs and anchors his back-side at the plate in an effort to use ground force to create power. While he can at times drift into his front-side a bit early, overall there's very little wasted movement in his swings with hands that stay tight to the body and short through the ball especially on pitches down the middle or on the middle third. He can get a bit more disconnected on pitchers on the outer black, but has shown a nice ability to battle into longer counts. Continuing to improve his timing and triggers in the box should unlock a more consistent hit tool as he climbs the ladder and sees more advanced pitching. There's a little Evan Gattis in the operation, albeit in a much different athletic form factor. George is a tremendous athlete who posts plus to sometimes double-plus run times and tends to show off the burners in the field. His exceptionally strong frame creates an aggressive, violent running style that could force the run tool into a more comfortably graded above average to plus tool at the next level. While his route running and reads have steadily improved year over year, scouts consider the glove mostly average right now with a chance to trend up as time and reps increase. He's extremely young for the class; just 18.1 on draft day.

From Joe Doyle

Posted (edited)

Keith Law's first mock is out. Will post the top 10.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5490480/2024/05/15/mlb-mock-draft-2024-travis-bazzana-charlie-condon/

I’ve said a few times that this MLB draft class is one of the weakest I’ve ever seen, but I think this first mock draft really makes the case even better than some of the rankings I’ve published so far. There’s a top tier of 11 players — nine in college and two from high school — who will probably all come off the board in the first 12 picks (there’s a good chance some team strikes an under-slot deal later in that range). After that, you might as well pick a random name generator, as we may see a historically low number of high schoolers taken in the first round, with position players lacking and the industry trending away from taking high school arms in the top 30.

1.) Guardians - Bazzana

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Smith

4.) A's - Kurtz

5.) White Sox - Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida
I’ve heard them heavily with Caglianone and Griffin; I don’t know if they’d let Cags continue to pitch, but I doubt it given the risk he’ll tear his UCL again and the fact that he’s almost a dead-certain reliever as a pitcher.

6.) Royals - Burns

7.) Cardinals - Wetherholt

8.) Angels - Yesavage

9.) Pirates - Montgomery

10.) Nationals - Griffin

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Cags to the Sox?? 👀👀 Man that would be sweet. I wonder if he has a chance to move to RF?

They should just leave him at 1B if he's the pick, don't want another Andrew Vaughn outcome

6 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

They should just leave him at 1B if he's the pick, don't want another Andrew Vaughn outcome

If they think he is 1b only, I hope they do not pick him.  Rainer and Griffin both play premium positions, Montgomery is a + right fielder. It puts way too much pressure on the bat to be taking a 1b with a top 5 pick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Timmy U said:

If they think he is 1b only, I hope they do not pick him.  Rainer and Griffin both play premium positions, Montgomery is a + right fielder. It puts way too much pressure on the bat to be taking a 1b with a top 5 pick.

I feel like we tried this before...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Want players that can play up the middle. Hard pass on Cags! Knowing Getz puts a huge value on defense I don't see him drafting another 1B type in the Top 5. Would by ecstatic with either Griffin or Rainer. 

Well for maybe a week or two he did.  But now he has Tommy Pham in CF and Gavin Sheets in RF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Well for maybe a week or two he did.  But now he has Tommy Pham in CF and Gavin Sheets in RF.

Well, pretended he did.

Martin Maldonado was here.

New Pipeline mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-mid-may?t=mlb-draft-coverage

5. White Sox: Braden Montgomery, OF, Texas A&M (No. 5)
This selection is wide open, as each of the top nine prospects has been connected with the White Sox if they get to No. 5. Montgomery is a high-upside right fielder who's hitting .333/.476/.778 with 24 homers.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Not sure how Hagen Smith doesn’t go number 1.  Supposedly hit 100 mph tonight and TAMU had no shot against him.

I think he's a slam dunk pick. I like him so much more than Burns. If the position player side of the White Sox system was better I would be advocating for him hard.

• Like 1