Robert benched mid game for not hustling and/or tweaked hammy

caulfield12

The bigger problem now is that Robert (and to a much lesser extent Cease) were the two players one could have expected a King's ransom for. 

Now he's not even worth fifty cents on the dollar...however, you can practically guarantee based on Sox past trade history he will become a true star if he's paired with someone like Francona or Baker. 

Definitely a number of managers out there who don't tolerate players embarrassing the organization on a consistent basis without severe consequences. 

15 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I wonder if Grifol set him up for that interview so we could see for ourselves what he is dealing with

This does NOT make Grifol look good. His player admitted that they are casually lying to him and his staff. Robert may as well have said “I don’t respect Grifol enough to tell him about my leg.” Same statement.

• Like 1

What really pisses me off is I remember a couple of occasions in 2020 when the Sox scored after Robert busted his ass down the line to beat out a DP. Since that time, he was taught it's not only ok but proper sometimes to loaf down to 1st.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This does NOT make Grifol look good. His player admitted that they are casually lying to him and his staff. Robert may as well have said “I don’t respect Grifol enough to tell him about my leg.” Same statement.

Lack of respect shows far more about Robert than it does about Grifol. Practically says nothing about Grifol at all imo. What is Grifol going to be able to do in a matter of weeks Roberts mom couldn’t do in 20+ years? All he can do is let him ride the pine

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

What really pisses me off is I remember a couple of occasions in 2020 when the Sox scored after Robert busted his ass down the line to beat out a DP. Since that time, he was taught it's not only ok but proper sometimes to loaf down to 1st.

You can take  Tony off the team, but you can't get the Tony out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I don't mean to sound like an asshole but the thing I thought of when reading all this stuff is that it may not be limited to just baseball stupid.

Or the lack of trust for the front office and coaching staff since Renteria was canned and they since had a plethora of misdiagnosed or unreported injuries? 

How many games did Robert try to play through injuries in the second half last year when he could barely swing with two hands but the only other option was Leury or Engel out there in center? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure what to believe, but the level of dysfunction regarding the team's management of injuries for many players including Robert last season and many others has existed since Brian Ball was fired, possibly earlier.

By the way didn't see this mentioned but a few days ago a judge threw out all of Ball's remaining charges against Hahn and the White Sox.  

Story makes front page OF ESPN

"What happened was, last [Friday] night, I hustled a lot down the line," Robert said through the team interpreter after the Chicago's 10th consecutive loss. "Today my legs were a little tired. My right hamstring was a little tight. Then I decided just to play conservative today. ... I think my mistake was that I didn't tell anybody. I didn't tell the manager because I knew if I said something to him, he probably wouldn't let me play."

Robert was immediately booed after the play.

"I understand the decision he made because he didn't know," Robert said of Grifol pulling him. "People that didn't know what was going on, you could think it was a lack of effort on my part. People who know me, they know I'm always doing my best and running hard down the line."

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, the Rays are the fourth team in the expansion era (since 1961) to score 10 runs in a game after recording no hits after at least six innings. Tampa scored them all in one inning.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36324619/white-sox-bench-luis-robert-not-running-grounder

Edited by caulfield12

This is the culture the White Sox have built. I don't blame Robert even half as much as I blame this dogshit organization. Imagine a player, YOUR STAR PLAYER, having so little interaction with the SECOND IN COMMAND, that he doesn't even know his fucking name? How is that even possible on a professional sports team?? 

The fact that he didn't tell the coaches about his hamstring tells me everything I need to know. There is ZERO TRUST between players and management/coaching. And management is fucking clueless. Asleep at the wheel. You just bench the guy, without even having a conversation with him, to see if he's feeling OK??? I have more rapport and connection with the HIGH SCHOOL KIDS I coach.

The White Sox are a fucking disgrace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2
  • Hawk 1

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/when-is-eloy-jimenez-going-to-fight-luis-robert-jr/

LoL. 

Now we have "mock" evidence after the last week that he's going to fight Jimenez, fight Sheets and definitely has an issue with whichever teammate (seemingly Jimenez again) ratted him out to the coaching staff about his purported sore hamstring. 

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/when-is-eloy-jimenez-going-to-fight-luis-robert-jr/

LoL. 

Now we have "mock" evidence after the last week that he's going to fight Jimenez, fight Sheets and definitely has an issue with whichever teammate (seemingly Jimenez again) ratted him out to the coaching staff about his purported sore hamstring. 

Does Robert have any minor league options left, if so send his sorry sulking ass down to Charlotte until he gets his head straight, If not trade him even if the Sox have to pay part of his salary, this guy is useless and trading him wouldn’t hurt one bit as this season is basically over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Story makes front page OF ESPN

"What happened was, last [Friday] night, I hustled a lot down the line," Robert said through the team interpreter after the Chicago's 10th consecutive loss. "Today my legs were a little tired. My right hamstring was a little tight. Then I decided just to play conservative today. ... I think my mistake was that I didn't tell anybody. I didn't tell the manager because I knew if I said something to him, he probably wouldn't let me play."

Robert was immediately booed after the play.

"I understand the decision he made because he didn't know," Robert said of Grifol pulling him. "People that didn't know what was going on, you could think it was a lack of effort on my part. People who know me, they know I'm always doing my best and running hard down the line."

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, the Rays are the fourth team in the expansion era (since 1961) to score 10 runs in a game after recording no hits after at least six innings. Tampa scored them all in one inning.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/36324619/white-sox-bench-luis-robert-not-running-grounder

What this tells me is that that they are being so conservative with injury concerns this year based on recent history that the players aren't telling them what's really going on. 

It's a tough call as the players have had so many significant injuries, I'm not sure I would trust them "to know their own bodies" either. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What this tells me is that that they are being so conservative with injury concerns this year based on recent history that the players aren't telling them what's really going on. 

It's a tough call as the players have had so many significant injuries, I'm not sure I would trust them "to know their own bodies" either. 

Bottom line is if you can run hard for 90 feet, you shouldn’t be playing CF that night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Bottom line is if you can run hard for 90 feet, you shouldn’t be playing CF that night.

apparently he told them he needed help with CF, so he probably does have some sort of soft tissue injury

but he's a selfish f*** for not telling coaches because he didn't wanna get yanked 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Don't disagree. Just saying what looks like is going on with the manager/medical staff with injuries. 

They aren't trusting the players to manage themselves. And I don't really blame them. 

• Thanks 1

There may be a little lost in translation. It might not really be hey I ran hard yesterday, so I was taking a break today as bad as it was translated. But if the guy can’t go all out, he needs to speak up. It also shows Andrus isn’t the leader type he was advertised, because if he knew, he should have said something.

• caulfield12 changed the title to Robert benched mid game for not hustling and/or tweaked hammy