5/29/2023: Chicago White Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels 7:10 PM CDT TV: NBCSCH & National FS1; Radio WMVP AM 1000

3 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I don't think I would have minded Romy hitting for himself there, honestly. He's been hot lately, including some key RBIs.

He’ll probably be DFAd to make room for Elvis Andrus.  Elvis’ veteran leadership is the missing piece.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

7 gb

If they won the blown game against DET and Hendriks came back at 100%, but nah...just too many struggling hitters or indifferent/apathetic ones going through the motions. 

Which blown game do you mean? Saturday or Sunday?

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Unreal, anyone else beats that out. Even Vaughn.

So heartbreaking. Will still remember Liam coming back full circle, one of the few feel good moments of the 2023 season, at least the first two months.

Grandahl is a catcher with catcher’s speed. That was just a great defensive play and his second of the game

32 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Oh really? From many posts it sounds like people want a change. Not sure how many of you spend money on this team but cutting spending would be a better way than ripping Hahn, JR and Grifol over and over in repackaged new ways. Maybe not watching or following the team makes sense. Doing something is better than writing the same analytical or short posts over and over about the same cast of characters.

I gave up my 20 game plan.  It doesn't matter to him.  There is no changing his mindset.  If you are a fan there is zero hope. 

Burger.....hanging slider at 90....infield fly rule. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Clutch hitting Burger has disappeared. 

Did we expect HR's every 10 AB's? I still want him in the lineup every day especially at home. Give him 4 AB's instead of Moncada. ( Hindsight) and the outcome might've been different. I wanted him in the lineup over Vaughn and Vaughn had a good game .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

The Sox have been losing some heartbreaking games 

Any confidence I had in this team went away with those Vaughn and Grandal at bats in the 10th inning on Sunday. I think those broke any spirit I had for awhile.

6 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

The Sox have been losing some heartbreaking games 

Luck is the residue of design - Branch Rickey

They've been losing "heartbreaking" games because the team as currently put together isn't good enough to win them.

This team is DOA and has been for awhile. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I gave up my 20 game plan.  It doesn't matter to him.  There is no changing his mindset.  If you are a fan there is zero hope. 

Burger.....hanging slider at 90....infield fly rule. 

Cool, I’m glad you gave it up.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Everyone forgets that 2005 team was on a $65+ million budget of numerous bargain bin veteran deals. 

Hasn't worked since of course. 

Required depth for F.Garcia deal and sheer luck flipping Contreras for Loaiza. 

Kenny Williams spent his entire life in baseball, worked with the minor league organization, understood the game and was a good judge of baseball talent.

Hahn has no baseball background, primarily spent time performing Kenny's paperwork and haggling over contracts.

Kenny Williams had one season under 79 wins. Rick Hahn has had two seasons, 1 winning, above 79 wins.

Record / MLB OD Payroll Rank

Kenny Williams

• 2001 83-79 14
  • 2002 81-81 18
  • 2003 86-76 22
  • 2004 83-79 14
  • 2005 99-63 13
  • 2006 90-72 5
  • 2007 72-90 5
  • 2008 89-74 5
  • 2009 79-83 11
  • 2010 88-74 9
  • 2011 79-83 7
  • 2012 85-77 12

Rick Hahn

• 2013 63-99 11
  • 2014 73-89 23
  • 2015 76-86 15
  • 2016 78-84 16
  • 2017 67-95 23
  • 2018 62-100 29
  • 2019 72-89 26
  • 2020 35-25 17
  • 2021 93-69 15
  • 2022 81-81 7
  • 2023 22-34 13

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

7 gb

If they won the blown game against DET and Hendriks came back at 100%, but nah...just too many struggling hitters or indifferent/apathetic ones going through the motions. 

I could rattle off a handful of games they should not have won, starting with the TB game.  Can’t play the game of “shoulda won that” because just as easily “shoulda lost that” can be played.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

There are some some players on the team like  Eloy, Burger, Lynn, Gio, Middleton, Santos, and even Middleton that generate a lot of positive energy in the dugout, bullpen, and for fans on the field. To me, they are the heart and soul of the team. Other guys like Luis Robert Jr. and Moncada seem like they are more into themselves for whatever reason. Maybe, like other pro athletes who suddenly come into big money, they lack the focus and desire to win that they once had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmb0928 said:

Grandal is quickly moving up the leaderboard for worst contract by the Sox of all time. 4.1 WAR in 4 years. 18 million per WAR. At least we could get that out of Seby for the league minimum. Seby throws out more runners too. Grandall is at like 17% the last 3 years. A decent throw and Liam wouldnt have let up any runs that inning.

Had surrendered the second or third most stolen bases so far this season...shocking, I know.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I could rattle off a handful of games they should not have won, starting with the TB game.  Can’t play the game of “shoulda won that” because just as easily “shoulda lost that” can be played.

To me, that last Twins' game of the series they had 3-4 consecutive chances to walk it off and finally lost in the 13th was the one that REALLY stands out in the last 2-3 weeks.

All Alberto had to do was not swing at a pitch that ended up hitting him from one of the middle relievers on Minny.

Another typical Sox loss with 11 Ks and 1 walk.
12 games under .500 with a tough schedule coming up in June. 
We will be sellers pretty soon. 
Moncada and Robert are back in their useless mode, 8 ABs last night with 6 Ks. Robert never makes adjustments while at bat, same swing regardless of the pitch location, just doesn’t have baseball smarts.
Kopech wasn’t bad after the first inning, there’s still hope for him.

If we sell, what scenario should be used, do we rebuild again or trade for players that will hopefully contribute immediately, I’m too old for another failed rebuild.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Getz is the gigantic leader in the clubhouse to take over 

That would be a huge mistake and disaster! Of course a definite asinine decision that Jerry could be counted on to make. 

There is nobody in this dysfunctional organization deserving of the next GM position. The next GM needs to come from a consistent winning organization where they know how to build a major league roster and successful farm system. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That would be a huge mistake and disaster! Of course a definite asinine decision that Jerry could be counted on to make. 

There is nobody in this dysfunctional organization deserving of the next GM position. The next GM needs to come from a consistent winning organization where they know how to build a major league roster and successful farm system. 

It's almost like they are intentionally trying to act like the A's and Reds... alienating as many fans as possible. 

Meanwhile, the GS Warriors have a GM that led them to 4 titles and a genuine dynasty in Bob Myers and he's still getting pushed out. 

Would Hahn still keep his job if he killed someone in broad daylight at 35th and the Dan Ryan? 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Another typical Sox loss with 11 Ks and 1 walk.
12 games under .500 with a tough schedule coming up in June. 
We will be sellers pretty soon. 
Moncada and Robert are back in their useless mode, 8 ABs last night with 6 Ks. Robert never makes adjustments while at bat, same swing regardless of the pitch location, just doesn’t have baseball smarts.
Kopech wasn’t bad after the first inning, there’s still hope for him.

If we sell, what scenario should be used, do we rebuild again or trade for players that will hopefully contribute immediately, I’m too old for another failed rebuild.

It's painful to watch Moncada and Robert right now. Both were a combined 0-8 last night with 3 K's each. Robert's plate discipline is just pathetic. Robert sometimes looks like he is bored and doesn't care, or just one of the dumbest hitters in baseball. I believe its the latter. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It's almost like they are intentionally trying to act like the A's and Reds... alienating as many fans as possible. 

Meanwhile, the GS Warriors have a GM that led them to 4 titles and a genuine dynasty in Bob Myers and he's still getting pushed out. 

Would Hahn still keep his job if he killed someone in broad daylight at 35th and the Dan Ryan? 

Maybe if the jury was made up of a majority of Jerry's Reinsdorf's.

This is why I cannot wait until this team is sold and Jerry is no longer involved.

This will be the only way to win the fanbase back. Hopefully the new owner will do the right moves to build this team into a consistent top tier playoff contender.

• Fire 1

Ozzie was right, Eloy is by far the best hitter on this team. It's shocking at the disparity between him and the next best guy. Looks like he has at least some sort of idea of how he's being pitched. 

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 unpinned this topic