Tim Anderson Interview by The Pivot

Kyyle23

6 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Whether or not they 'deserve' it, I don't know why somebody would take the time to show up to a game just to belittle the players. Seems like a waste of time, money and energy. I told some guy to knock it off because he's shouting profanity at Cease in the first inning and there's kids around and Cease can obviously hear him because we're right above the dugout. Completely uncalled for and I would think has an impact on the game. I think fans can play a role in their teams' success, a homefield advantage isn't strictly 'these guys are familiar with the field and can sleep in their own beds' there's energy to be absorbed from the atmosphere. 

Obviously you and me are not the reason the Sox suck but it's also not the players as individuals, its the summation of decisions made by the front office and ownership. We obviously expect more out of 'proven' players like Tim Anderson or Lynn but good teams can deal with down years to one or two players. Of course, pretty much everyone is having a down year which leads me to think it's something to do with coaching or otherwise how the organization is run. I don't think showing up just to trash the players is productive. Bring a 'sell the team' sign or 'fire hahn' sign IMO.

As long as fans are paying the freight for these million dollar players they have the right to express themselves as long as it is not racist, sexist or vulgar.

Those are big boys out there, professional athletes not kids in high school.

If they can't handle it they have two options, play better so the fans aren't booing or find another profession. 

Their performance (or lack of same) is a big reason this so called "championship window" has been flushed right down the toilet. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I wouldn't be so dismissive about the impact fans have on a game. I've been to two home games this season and it's a sea of boos for the home team. Cease, Bummer, Robert, doesn't matter who. Maybe they're professionals and are supposed to ignore it but I don't think I could. Sox Park is a depressing place this year. 

Sorry. I work my ass off at a dangerous job for a fraction of the paycheck they bring home. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money to go to a ballpark, pay exorbitant prices, and watch a game I'd give my left arm to play for a living, then I expect effort. Not jogging on ground balls, not sloppy lazy mistakes, not lethargic overall play and mentally lazy at bats, not flipping off fans. If this team was busting its ass constantly and still failing I'd stand and have their backs every time. The effort put forth by a good chunk of these players on this team is disrespectful to fans like me and kids in the stands as far as I'm concerned, so we have every right to expect better. I don't think it's too much to ask of grown men playing a child's game for millions of dollars. They don't want an angry crowd, do better.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I'm hoping Tim will be traded at the deadline. And praying we don't get fleeced. Again 

The problem is everyone wants a return like 2019-21 Anderson is on the block...or magically wishing the WBC or Dodgers would magically transform him back into an All-Star as if by magic.

But that's definitely NOT the player we're trading...the Field of Dreams walkoff/video game cover dynamic version.

After the Stanley Cup, I watched the rest of the podcast. Worth a watch if you like Tim Anderson or baseball. Much more entertaining than watching the finger pointing 6.75 ERA pitcher lose again to the scumbag owned Dodgers.

Tim was measured and respectful, nothing negative but did address issues more openly than most in the public sphere. 

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As long as fans are paying the freight for these million dollar players they have the right to express themselves as long as it is not racist, sexist or vulgar.

Those are big boys out there, professional athletes not kids in high school.

If they can't handle it they have two options, play better so the fans aren't booing or find another profession. 

Their performance (or lack of same) is a big reason this so called "championship window" has been flushed right down the toilet. 

Of course fans can say and do what they want (within reason) and it shouldn't be any other way, but it creates bad vibes for other fans and it's usually alcohol fueled. And Reinsdorf clearly doesn't give a s%*#. Should be more like Europe, use that energy and go beat up the other team's fans instead.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

I don't think it's too much to ask of grown men playing a child's game for millions of dollars.

I don’t even necessarily disagree with the overall point of your whole post, but I always laugh when the kid’s game line is used. It almost always feels like it goes against the overall point trying to be made.

”I’m booing because I paid a lot of hard earned money to watch them play this relatively insignificant children’s game and they’re not playing it right.”

We talk about kids looking up to professional athletes, we talk about professional sports being a business, but then in the same breath we downplay its importance by calling it a child’s game.

Again, I feel what you’re saying overall, but I just find it all kind of amusing. If anything, it just illustrates the weird complexities involved with being a sports fan.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Snopek said:

I don’t even necessarily disagree with the overall point of your whole post, but I always laugh when the kid’s game line is used. It almost always feels like it goes against the overall point trying to be made.

”I’m booing because I paid a lot of hard earned money to watch them play this relatively insignificant children’s game and they’re not playing it right.”

We talk about kids looking up to professional athletes, we talk about professional sports being a business, but then in the same breath we downplay its importance by calling it a child’s game.

Again, I feel what you’re saying overall, but I just find it all kind of amusing. If anything, it just illustrates the weird complexities involved with being a sports fan.

If it's a child's game, people should do something else with their time.

20 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He makes me seethe too Ala the other day with his bone headed play at short. But when he's on, there's few more exciting players. He could have been a face of baseball. Seems unlikely at this point but I hope he turns it around with his play.

I read stuff like this and wonder if I've been watching a different player over his entire career.  The guy has a career OPS+ of 103, never had an OPS over .886, has stolen 20 bases exactly once, can't stay on the field and has been a subpar defender his entire career.  He plays with as much energy as a 12 year old dog and makes routine plays look like spectacular ones.  A slappy singles hitter is one of the most exciting players in the game?  He's rarely if ever been a top 8 player at his position, let alone the face of the sport.  Do you watch other teams?  Serious question. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Snopek said:

It's referred to as a child's game because the vast majority of those playing it are......young. There are only a privileged few getting to play the game professionally, as adults. It does not downplay it. It illustrates how fortunate these men are. At least that's how I assumed most people interpreted it. 

1 hour ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I read stuff like this and wonder if I've been watching a different player over his entire career.  The guy has a career OPS+ of 103, never had an OPS over .886, has stolen 20 bases exactly once, can't stay on the field and has been a subpar defender his entire career.  He plays with as much energy as a 12 year old dog and makes routine plays look like spectacular ones.  A slappy singles hitter is one of the most exciting players in the game?  He's rarely if ever been a top 8 player at his position, let alone the face of the sport.  Do you watch other teams?  Serious question. 

Lmao Oh yeah you've definitely been watching a completely different player then throughout his career. Tim Anderson has always played with energy and swagger. 12 year old dogs arent getting into it with Stroman, Donaldson, the entirety of the Royals, etc. MLB was doing ad campaigns with his famed bat flips (event after going after him). The war vs the Unwritten rules was awesome. Winning batting titles is exciting. Being flashy is exciting. Field of Dreams is one of the best modern MLB moments. Tim Anderson was all that, but none of that over the past year for whatever reason unfortunately. Hope he gets it back. I get what made him great also makes people want to hate him more, but to say he hasn't played with much energy over the course of his career is the most revisionist history of revisionist history.

5 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Lmao Oh yeah you've definitely been watching a completely different player then throughout his career. Tim Anderson has always played with energy and swagger. 12 year old dogs arent getting into it with Stroman, Donaldson, the entirety of the Royals, etc. MLB was doing ad campaigns with his famed bat flips (event after going after him). The war vs the Unwritten rules was awesome. Winning batting titles is exciting. Being flashy is exciting. Field of Dreams is one of the best modern MLB moments. Tim Anderson was all that, but none of that over the past year for whatever reason unfortunately. Hope he gets it back. I get what made him great also makes people want to hate him more, but to say he hasn't played with much energy over the course of his career is the most revisionist history of revisionist history.

I guess we have different definitions of "exciting."  I don't find the bat flipping or on field altercations to be exciting, or be anything of value.  Baseball is a grind, you mentioned 5 instances, 5 instances of flash does not make somebody a good or exciting baseball player.  Sure, the FOD moment was a top 5 White Sox moment of the last 20 years, but at the end of the day it was a walk off HR in a regular season game.  Batting titles are great, but even when he was winning them he was never "great."  He's finished in the top 10 of MVP voting one time.   He's always been, and always will be, a 1 dimensional player that relies on unsustainable BABIP to provide even average value at his position.  I like my SS's to have enough energy to get rid of the ball on routine plays in a timely manner, save the swagger until after you've won anything ever.  I think Tim had promise, enough promise that a lot of people like yourself confused it with ability and excitement, but that ship has long sailed and Tim's career is looking more and more like a bust every day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I guess we have different definitions of "exciting."  I don't find the bat flipping or on field altercations to be exciting, or be anything of value.  Baseball is a grind, you mentioned 5 instances, 5 instances of flash does not make somebody a good or exciting baseball player.  Sure, the FOD moment was a top 5 White Sox moment of the last 20 years, but at the end of the day it was a walk off HR in a regular season game.  Batting titles are great, but even when he was winning them he was never "great."  He's finished in the top 10 of MVP voting one time.   He's always been, and always will be, a 1 dimensional player that relies on unsustainable BABIP to provide even average value at his position.  I like my SS's to have enough energy to get rid of the ball on routine plays in a timely manner, save the swagger until after you've won anything ever.  I think Tim had promise, enough promise that a lot of people like yourself confused it with ability and excitement, but that ship has long sailed and Tim's career is looking more and more like a bust every day. 

Something isn't unsustainable when you are doing it for 3-4 years straight. 

Anyways, at least 2 major ad campaigns have been launched off his back and even this year MLB is still featuring him in national commercials, so some people must find him exciting regardless of everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

What you don't call flipping off fans, getting into confrontations with umpires, making silly bone-headed mistakes and off the field embarrassing antics exciting?????

MLB used him in their ad campaign because they were trying to target a specific demographic generation with specific attitudes to like baseball. I'd argue his actual playing ability wasn't the major part of that logic.   

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Anyways, at least 2 major ad campaigns have been launched off his back and even this year MLB is still featuring him in national commercials, so some people must find him exciting regardless of everything. 

Personally I'd prefer he play well for the Sox and screw the ad campaigns. Ad campaigns do nothing to change the won-loss record.

He can do all the ads he wants in Los Angeles or Atlanta because he's not going to get that extension with the Sox. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Personally I'd prefer he play well for the Sox and screw the ad campaigns. Ad campaigns do nothing to change the won-loss record.

He can do all the ads he wants in Los Angeles or Atlanta because he's not going to get that extension with the Sox. 

Yeah I'm aware hense why I said I hope he turns it around.

22 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Sorry. I work my ass off at a dangerous job for a fraction of the paycheck they bring home. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money to go to a ballpark, pay exorbitant prices, and watch a game I'd give my left arm to play for a living, then I expect effort. Not jogging on ground balls, not sloppy lazy mistakes, not lethargic overall play and mentally lazy at bats, not flipping off fans. If this team was busting its ass constantly and still failing I'd stand and have their backs every time. The effort put forth by a good chunk of these players on this team is disrespectful to fans like me and kids in the stands as far as I'm concerned, so we have every right to expect better. I don't think it's too much to ask of grown men playing a child's game for millions of dollars. They don't want an angry crowd, do better.

Excellent post. 

I have no problem with fans voicing their displeasure with certain players on the Sox but as far as me personally while watching some really bad Sox players down through the years I can honestly say I never booed one, it just isn’t in my makeup as I guess I love the franchise too much. Of course as I haven’t lived in Chicago for 30 years now the circumstances have probably changed with some of the things I’ve see this year. Now if I happened to see JR pop up on the field before a game, that would be a different story, there would be no problem showing my displeasure with that jerk.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Excellent post. 

I have no problem with fans voicing their displeasure with certain players on the Sox but as far as me personally while watching some really bad Sox players down through the years I can honestly say I never booed one, it just isn’t in my makeup as I guess I love the franchise too much. Of course as I haven’t lived in Chicago for 30 years now the circumstances have probably changed with some of the things I’ve see this year. Now if I happened to see JR pop up on the field before a game, that would be a different story, there would be no problem showing my displeasure with that jerk.

I've never booed either. However I'm not gonna clap and cheer for them simply to take the field. That has to be earned imo.

This is helping me to care less and less about this team. He's basically an actor on a reality TV show I watch. I don't need to know the personal life of the actors, I don't need the show to have a full time reporter. 

2 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Career stats, or what some here call "cherry picked".

White Sox Shortstop fWAR per season career leaders - Legitimate MLB seasons (1947-2023), minimum 5 White Sox Seasons & 5 total fWAR:

1. 3.4 Jose Valentin (17.3 fWAR / 5.0 White Sox Seasons)
  2. 3.2 Luis Aparicio (32 / 10.0)
  3. 3.0 Tim Anderson (19.4 / 6.4)
  4. 2.9 Ron Hansen (18.4 / 6.3)
  5. 2.8 Chico Carrasquel (16.8 / 6.0)
  6. 2.5 Alexei Ramirez (19.6 / 8.0)
  7. 1.6 Jose Uribe (7.8 / 5.0)
  8. 1.5 Craig Grebeck (8.3 / 5.6)
  9. 1.5 Scott Fletcher (8.0 / 5.4)
  10. 1.0 Ozzie Guillen (12.5 / 12.6)

White Sox Third Base fWAR per season career leaders - Legitimate MLB seasons (1947-2023), minimum 5 White Sox Seasons & 5 total fWAR:

1. 4.5 Robin Ventura (39.2 / 8.7)
  2. 3.0 Pete Ward (20.7 / 7.0)
  3. 2.8 Bill Melton (19.8 / 7.2)
  4. 2.7 Yoan Moncada (14.9 / 5.2)
  5. 1.7 Joe Crede (11.3 / 6.5)
  6. 1.5 Floyd Baker (7.5 / 5.0)

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yeah, like what the f*** do guys like Mike Trout know about baseball.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/mike-trout-on-tim-anderson-hes-a-star/347212/?chrcontext=WMAQ

• Like 1