Remillard promoted; Moncada hurt?

soxfan49

And with a weak farm system we're bringing up someone that will struggle and be painful to watch. A quality franchise would have a capable starter coming up. 

Good luck to him. Maybe he can have a miracle month. More likely he'll check MLB off his bucket list and go coach at some college after this season is over. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Remillard would have made more sense a 4-6 weeks ago.  He's been awful for well over a month, dropping his OPS below .700 in a hitter's paradise. 

Doubt he plays much, tho. 

I don’t think he ever made sense tbh. He’s a 29 yr old in the most hitter friend park in the minors. Nice to see him getting an opportunity, but no one should be surprised covering anything of value from him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don’t think he ever made sense tbh. He’s a 29 yr old in the most hitter friend park in the minors. Nice to see him getting an opportunity, but no one should be surprised covering anything of value from him.

Don't disagree, just moreso meant giving an org guy like Remillard his big moment would have some sense when he was hitting.  

Regardless, I would imagine Burger is playing 3B nearly everyday until Yoan is back. 

44 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I believe this ends the "Jake Burger, second baseman" dream.  Now there will be a long stretch to see if Jake can be a starting 3b.

Jake had a nice defensive game last night. I also hear he had a decent offensive effort too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I believe this ends the "Jake Burger, second baseman" dream.  Now there will be a long stretch to see if Jake can be a starting 3b.

I don't think hardly anyone here had a dream or vison of Burger playing 2nd. For many of us, it was about Moncada to move to 2nd base. 

Burger has proved he should be the third baseman for now while Moncada is out. Frankly if Burger plays a solid 3rd base while Moncada is gone and continues with his present power numbers, then I'm sorry, but Burger needs to remain the 3rd baseman even when Moncada gets back.

It's time to trade Moncada and move on from this constant injury after injury drama.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I don't think hardly anyone here had a dream or vison of Burger playing 2nd. For many of us, it was about Moncada to move to 2nd base. 

Burger has proved he should be the third baseman for now while Moncada is out. Frankly if Burger plays a solid 3rd base while Moncada is gone and continues with his present power numbers, then I'm sorry, but Burger needs to remain the 3rd baseman even when Moncada gets back.

It's time to trade Moncada and move on from this constant injury after injury drama.

How much of that $35-40 remaining on his contract the next 1.6 seasons and buyout of the $25 million 2025 option are the Sox willing to eat? 

Hahn would never do that... admitting the rebuild is dead. 

He can still trade Giolito Grandal Lopez Middleton and maybe Anderson without admitting to throwing in the towel for 2024 as well. 

At least try to spin it. 

Of course they won't turn around and reallocate any money saved. 

10 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I was never a fan of Burger to second, and I wanted Moncada to stay at 3rd for defensive value. I wanted Burger to DH and move Eloy back to the field. 

To your last point, I don't think we can really trade Moncada at his lowest value for return and i don't think anyone would take on that contract at this point. I think the best case is to IL him for the rest of the year, see 300 more ABs of Burger, and hope to get actual value out of Yoan's first half of 2024 if he gets hot by dealing him to a contender in July. 

• Like 1

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

I was never a fan of Burger to second, and I wanted Moncada to stay at 3rd for defensive value. I wanted Burger to DH and move Eloy back to the field. 

To your last point, I don't think we can really trade Moncada at his lowest value for return and i don't think anyone would take on that contract at this point. I think the best case is to IL him for the rest of the year, see 300 more ABs of Burger, and hope to get actual value out of Yoan's first half of 2024 if he gets hot by dealing him to a contender in July. 

So you're going to move Burger off third base to 1B or DH just to theoretically get a better return for Moncada? 

I guess...but this approach isn't working particularly well with Anderson coming off an injury-filled 2022. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So you're going to move Burger off third base to 1B or DH just to theoretically get a better return for Moncada? 

I guess...but this approach isn't working particularly well with Anderson coming off an injury-filled 2022. 

Well, no....at this point with Moncada's injury I'm not moving Jake off of 3B, especially after Jake hit two dongs last night. Jake's so hot he may be the starter no matter what at 3rd if he keeps raking for the next month.

If Moncada was truly healthy I would have DH'd Jake because unlike a lot of others on this team, he seems to hit from any position in the lineup and whether or not he's DH'ing, and I want the defensive value of Yoan at 3rd. Living with a .730-.750 OPS isn't terrible with a great defender. It is what it is - an underwhelming contract for a slightly above average player.  

• Like 1

Grifol hinted yesterday thus was a possibility with Moncada.

Wouldn't surprise me if he had to have the surgery that Hahn said wasn't needed 80% of the time in these cases.

Remember these are the White Sox with their "crack" medical. training and conditioning staffs.

Time to cut bait with every one of these injury prone guys. They simply are never going to be healthy. Period. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Well, no....at this point with Moncada's injury I'm not moving Jake off of 3B, especially after Jake hit two dongs last night. Jake's so hot he may be the starter no matter what at 3rd if he keeps raking for the next month.

If Moncada was truly healthy I would have DH'd Jake because unlike a lot of others on this team, he seems to hit from any position in the lineup and whether or not he's DH'ing, and I want the defensive value of Yoan at 3rd. Living with a .730-.750 OPS isn't terrible with a great defender. It is what it is - an underwhelming contract for a slightly above average player.  

Honestly, 730-750 seems like a pipe dream now...

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

As I posted and agree with you, I never once wanted Burger at second.

Many of you keep saying that Burger sucks at third. If you check the numbers his defense has improved dramatically and he hasn't been a liability at third this season.

I did want Moncada at second because and still do. You seem to forget, the Sox traded for him to be our second baseman. 

I'm tired some of you saying Moncada can't play 2nd, as he made too many errors. Maybe the Sox should have worked more with Moncada on his second base play, instead of moving him to third in the first place. Or maybe if Moncada wasn't such a good 2b in the first place, maybe the genius Hahn should have taken a pass on Moncada in the Sale trade and negotiated for someone else.

I do want Moncada traded. I will never back off that. I realize we might have to either eat some money or take less back in a trade for prospects. The bottom line is, he is no good for this team and his lack of hustle, desire and constant injuries and drama are not needed for a team going nowhere right now, 

You cannot put Burger at DH and make Eloy play OF. Eloy gets injured too easily, so the last thing you want is to make him play the outfield...which by the way Eloy sucks at. 

Finally, you thinking Moncada will get hot in the start of 2024 and not be injured by the 2024 trade deadline to get your so called "value" back for him...is a pipedream and the definition of insanity. You are paying Moncada 17.8 million and if you don't trade him now, you are going to pay him 24.8 million in 2024. You are telling me right now and assuming he isn't going to have value at this year's trade deadline. However since there is no guarantee Moncada has a injury free productive 2024 start, and if indeed he does have the same bad numbers and injuries as now going into the 2024 trade deadline, then why in the hell would Moncada be of more value in 2024 at 24.8 million versus now at 17.8 million?

5 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

As I posted and agree with you, I never once wanted Burger at second.

Many of you keep saying that Burger sucks at third. If you check the numbers his defense has improved dramatically and he hasn't been a liability at third this season.

I did want Moncada at second because and still do. You seem to forget, the Sox traded for him to be our second baseman. 

I'm tired some of you saying Moncada can't play 2nd, as he made too many errors. Maybe the Sox should have worked more with Moncada on his second base play, instead of moving him to third in the first place. Or maybe if Moncada wasn't such a good 2b in the first place, maybe the genius Hahn should have taken a pass on Moncada in the Sale trade and negotiated for someone else.

I do want Moncada traded. I will never back off that. I realize we might have to either eat some money or take less back in a trade for prospects. The bottom line is, he is no good for this team and his lack of hustle, desire and constant injuries and drama are not needed for a team going nowhere right now, 

You cannot put Burger at DH and make Eloy play OF. Eloy gets injured too easily, so the last thing you want is to make him play the outfield...which by the way Eloy sucks at. 

Finally, you thinking Moncada will get hot in the start of 2024 and not be injured by the 2024 trade deadline to get your so called "value" back for him...is a pipedream and the definition of insanity. You are paying Moncada 17.8 million and if you don't trade him now, you are going to pay him 24.8 million in 2024. You are telling me right now and assuming he isn't going to have value at this year's trade deadline. However since there is no guarantee Moncada has a injury free productive 2024 start, and if indeed he does have the same bad numbers and injuries as now going into the 2024 trade deadline, then why in the hell would Moncada be of more value in 2024 at 24.8 million versus now at 17.8 million?

To your point about Eloy in the field, he does hit significantly worse as a DH - .242/.745 vs. .290/.858 as a LF. I know he does gets injured, but the first injury was honestly a bizarre fluke that he probably couldn't duplicate if he tried, and the second injury had nothing to do with him playing the field - wasn't he running to first? The appendectomy also has nothing to do with being in the field. Is he a below average defender? Yes. But he hits way better when he's in the field. 

With respect to Moncada, at this point I'm neutral on moving him to 2b. Our 2b options aren't good offensively anyway, so we might as well try that too. That all said, I think you're looking at the money wrong for trade value, with all due respect. If you trade him this season, a team takes on $40 million and 1.6 years, right? If you trade him next year, and he's hot, the team only takes on the remainder of that one year at $24.8 million. If a contender has a major injury to an elite third baseman, it's a no brainer. 

If the Sox had a good and smart incoming front office, it would be interesting to see what value they could get this or next month for a guy like Burger. 

Of course they would need to stop pretending publicly they are attempting to field a competitive team anytime in the 2020s. Perhaps a 2027 or 2028 carrot at this stage to keep hope alive.

Don’t want Hahn making any deals beyond the inevitable salary and international slot money dumps Jerry is rubbing his hands in anticipation to complete next month.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year.

cover5.jpg

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

To your point about Eloy in the field, he does hit significantly worse as a DH - .242/.745 vs. .290/.858 as a LF. I know he does gets injured, but the first injury was honestly a bizarre fluke that he probably couldn't duplicate if he tried, and the second injury had nothing to do with him playing the field - wasn't he running to first? The appendectomy also has nothing to do with being in the field. Is he a below average defender? Yes. But he hits way better when he's in the field. 

With respect to Moncada, at this point I'm neutral on moving him to 2b. Our 2b options aren't good offensively anyway, so we might as well try that too. That all said, I think you're looking at the money wrong for trade value, with all due respect. If you trade him this season, a team takes on $40 million and 1.6 years, right? If you trade him next year, and he's hot, the team only takes on the remainder of that one year at $24.8 million. If a contender has a major injury to an elite third baseman, it's a no brainer. 

You keep giving me these hypotheticals on Moncada getting hot and going injury free in 2024. Playing your game, on the flip side, what about if we put him at 2nd and they make him work hard at being a good second baseman. Then back to your hypothetical, maybe Moncada gets hot in 2024 going injury free and now can play a solid 2nd base. I think his value would be even stronger, since its hard to find a second baseman who can hit. 

As far as Eloy at DH versus OF, the only reason he might have had worse numbers at DH is because Eloy was sulking like a big baby and whining that he needed to play OF, which of course is not what a team player does. As a result of Eloy's immature whinning, he mentally got himself in the wrong mindset at the plate. However if the Sox actually had some leaders on this team or a veteran manager like a Bochy, that would have sat Eloy down and convinced him what was best for the team, instead of the pansy Grifol who obviously couldn't accomplish that team goal and need. Also take away that horrible first OF stupid injury and the fact is, Eloy has been injured playing the OF on other occasions. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

plus 2025 buyout