Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see how this fucks them.  They got a very nice package with a young catcher as the centerpiece.  Given they have other SPs they may want to sell and other potential sellers who could join the mix between now and Monday, selling Lucas early while he was the best pitcher on the market made all the sense in the world IMO.  I actually thought Hahn would do the opposite and botch the strong position he was in by waiting.

“f*** them” as in “f*** this front office, I hate them”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I don't know if I buy this. Something to be said about being first and identifying a desperate team (Angels) to set the market, rather than sitting back and thinking we're going to outsmart everyone and get a great deal (Harper and Machado), then left with nothing to show for it.

This isn’t Harper and Machado because we are the sellers.  Giolito was going to be dealt, it was happening.  Machado and Harper were not happening

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Stockholm syndrome 

I feel a little bit of “well we got something” in this thread and honestly that sucks even worse.  The guy who fucked this up is trying to fix this and we are so whiplashed and becoming accepting.  This is just awful on every level

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is kind of a crazy comment.

It's obviously not "really good" for us. The White Sox should have re-signed Lucas Giolito. They have no pitching. These bozo's shouldn't be trading for and "developing" anyone.

If the Sox can't sign a guy like Giolito who the hell can they sign?

The return might be adequate, but it's certainly not a really good trade for us.

Well obviously context matters.  Trading off pieces means we failed, so yeah not good.  But signing Lucas to a nine figure when the rest of the team sucks isn’t really the answer.  And guess what, we can still go sign him this off-season if we wanted to offer him the most money.  Nothing has changed in that regard, but now we have added to two quality prospects to a really bad system.  Holding Giolito for his last 10 starts on a 100 loss team would have been the definition of insanity.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Harold claimed there was a rearrangement in the front office and Hahn had already been banished to the basement...instead of waiting for the parade, it will be wait for the book to come out.

That’s nice and all but I don’t believe Harold works there and they just sent out Hahn to talk about the trade he just made

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It fuckin sucks and you know it does.  

I have no idea what this means.  Why does this suck?  Yes, it’s sad to see Lucas go.  He is my son’s favorite player as well as his jersey.  But Lucas was leaving regardless.  Would you rather have a pick after the second round of next year’s draft or this package?  You guys needs to take the emotion out of this.  This is a good trade from a value perspective.  Obviously it sucks from a near-term winning perspective, but I’ve long since come to terms with that fact regardless of this trade happening.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well obviously context matters.  Trading off pieces means we failed, so yeah not good.  But signing Lucas to a nine figure when the rest of the team sucks isn’t really the answer.  And guess what, we can still go sign him this off-season if we wanted to offer him the most money.  Nothing has changed in that regard, but now we have added to two quality prospects to a really bad system.  Holding Giolito for his last 10 starts on a 100 loss team would have been the definition of insanity.

I have no idea why we've gotten so far from the entertainment concept of this game, but there is probably a 5% chance that these two guys combined for their careers are as valuable as the next 5 years of Giolito. Sorry, I don't want to spend another two years watching the worst team in baseball.

I'll actually sign and watch the MLB player and not worry about acquiring a guy who this org needs to develop.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

13 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That’s nice and all but I don’t believe Harold works there and they just sent out Hahn to talk about the trade he just made

Your takes on this trade are crazy.  Sure Hahn shouldn't be the one trading, sure it sucks that we are already rebuilding AGAIn...  but if you look at this trade alone, how can you be mad about getting a consensus top 100 catching prospect (who is crazy young), and a SP prospect that likely slots in around a Pallette and Cannon?

• Like 3

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I have no idea why we've gotten so far from the entertainment concept of this game, but there is probably a 5% chance that these two guys combined for their careers are as valuable as the next 5 years of Giolito. Sorry, I don't want to spend another two years watching the worst team in baseball.

I'll actually sign and watch the MLB player and not worry about acquiring a guy who this org needs to develop.

I didn't know we had Giolito for 5 more years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This trade is good in that it lets players go to actual baseball organizations and let the rest of North America enjoy the game while reinsdorf can just focus on what he loves about this team which is its purpose as a rent-seeking investment vehicle.

Giolito was looking to go back to the west coast from the time he got here.  He was never going to be a sox for life type.  We got some good and inexpensive years from him.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't sign with a california team or the yankees in the off season.  He's always had an eye on his next career

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I hear you and I wouldn't be surprised if Gio wins a Cy Young in that time frame.  The Sox have actually developed a pretty good stable of MLB starters...that are pitching for other organizations.  

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Your takes on this trade are crazy.  Sure Hahn shouldn't be the one trading, sure it sucks that we are already rebuilding AGAIn...  but if you look at this trade alone, how can you be mad about getting a consensus top 100 catching prospect (who is crazy young), and a SP prospect that likely slots in around a Pallette and Cannon?

I have no problem trading Gio at this point, but yes, the team is rebuilding again.  I am not buying into this nonsense again.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

My takes aren’t crazy if this is true.  And why should I trust the people this front office hired to get those players to the majors 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But this trade and giving Lucas 5/$125 aren’t mutually exclusive.  We can go out and sign him if we really want to.  Regardless, this team is almost certainly going to suck next year or two with or without Lucas.  I think most of us have come to reality on that, but apparently some posters haven’t yet accepted we have an awful fucking team and farm system that isn’t going to magically rebound next year by maintaining the status quo.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Giolito was looking to go back to the west coast from the time he got here.  He was never going to be a sox for life type.  We got some good and inexpensive years from him.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't sign with a california team or the yankees in the off season.  He's always had an eye on his next career

This is simply not true.  It was reported that Giolito wanted long term and everything fell apart when they had to go to arbitration over a difference of 50k

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

This is simply not true.  It was reported that Giolito wanted long term and everything fell apart when they had to go to arbitration over a difference of 50k

He would have signed if the Sox had made an offer he couldn't refuse.  His mantra every year was that he knew his market value, which didn't change even after a down year.  

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

They’re not rebuilding. Trading the expiring contracts and maybe 1 or 2 guys controlled through next year and maybe a surprise deal like Burger is about it.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic