Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So in 2 weeks his defense has been so incredible that he's been worth a full extra 2 wins? Either this isn't being written correctly or Jake Burger has suddenly developed the range to cover from 2b to 3b.

this are run values and FG adjusts them for position scarcity. I forget what metric they use to measure defense, but you can read -.4.1 as basically -.4 fWAR as quick and dirty 10 runs saved or produced is 1 WAR.

Jake is a pretty decent 3B so if he's playing more there I can see him putting up a run neutral (after adjusting for position) season if he plays there while healthy.

Jake is a useful player, maybe not a "good regular" but he's at least a solid regular, which is why the Sox got back some talent for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, T R U said:

I did say plummet, because they have. I was just saying why do you keep putting those words in "air quotes" like it isn't true. And again, I want to point out I am not saying hes lost all his power, hes only played a handful of games with the Marlins. Its just what has happened right now since the trade.

The ISO, HR, and Fly Ball percentages are way down. This could be because the Marlins told him to stop selling out for home runs though.

White Sox Marlins
ISO 0.313 0.156
BABIP 0.225 0.382
HR% 7.7 2.0
SO% 31.6 20.0
BB% 6.8 6.0
EV 92.4 90.4
Hard Hit 50.8 48.6
Fly Ball 25.8 17.1

There are only 2 guys in baseball with ISO above .300 and thats the 2 MLB HR leaders Ohtani and Olson (sorry said Burger so I edited it) A .313 ISO number was never sustainable. Despite that his ISO his still tied for 5th in MLB with Robert and Betts at .292.

The issue I have with you saying plummet it's as if it means a whole heck of a lot in 15 games . Maybe he's just making the necessary adjustments to become a better hitter. He's only a tick down in EV and hard hit %. He could hit 2 HR's in the next 2 days and be right back up where he was or he could continue  hitting the ball hard and finding holes. Either way the Marlins have to be pleased.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are only 2 guys in baseball with ISO above .300 and thats the 2 MLB HR leaders Ohtani and Burger. A .313 ISO number was never sustainable. Despite that his ISO his still tied for 5th in MLB with Robert and Betts at .292.

The issue I have with you saying plummet it's as if it means a whole heck of a lot in 15 games . Maybe he's just making the necessary adjustments to become a better hitter. He's only a tick down in EV and hard hit %. He could hit 2 HR's in the next 2 days and be right back up where he was or he could continue  hitting the ball hard and finding holes. Either way the Marlins have to be pleased.

I think the disconnect is I am only talking about what he has done with the Marlins, not overall. His ISO is .156 with the Marlins, I don't look at it as .292 like you said above.

Again, only talking about the difference between what he was doing with the Sox and what he is now doing with the Marlins. As it has been said many times, by all of us, its a very small sample size and a lot can change quickly.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

this are run values and FG adjusts them for position scarcity. I forget what metric they use to measure defense, but you can read -.4.1 as basically -.4 fWAR as quick and dirty 10 runs saved or produced is 1 WAR.

Jake is a pretty decent 3B so if he's playing more there I can see him putting up a run neutral (after adjusting for position) season if he plays there while healthy.

Jake is a useful player, maybe not a "good regular" but he's at least a solid regular, which is why the Sox got back some talent for him.

Right the way Balta is thinking is that you can take defensive war , offensively WAR and Baserunning WAR add it all up and you get his total fWAR. That's not how it works. He's 2.0 baserunning, 9.8 Offensively and -2.1 defensively. 11.8 - ( -2.1) would equal 9.7 fWAR even if you cancel out that baserunning is part of his offensive WAR you would still get a 7.7 fWAR instead of the 2.0 that it is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are only 2 guys in baseball with ISO above .300 and thats the 2 MLB HR leaders Ohtani and Burger. A .313 ISO number was never sustainable. Despite that his ISO his still tied for 5th in MLB with Robert and Betts at .292.

The top 2 MLB homerun leaders are Shohei and Matt Olson. Jake Burger is currently 12th.

Edited by Chisoxmb35

26 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Is this lefy kid that we traded Burger for any good? Looks like he got lit up in his first start at AA.  Are the Sox penciling him in for the 2024 rotation or he is still a few years away? 

His ERA is around 16 so far at Birmingham. He's a few years away.

29 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Is this lefy kid that we traded Burger for any good? Looks like he got lit up in his first start at AA.  Are the Sox penciling him in for the 2024 rotation or he is still a few years away? 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

His ERA is around 16 so far at Birmingham. He's a few years away.

This is his first few months back from TJS and another injury to start the year. The only thing I’d take from his performance this year is that he’s healthy enough to be on the mound and genuine shock and gratitude that Rick Hahn hasn’t yet tried to save his big league bullpen by calling him up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is his first few months back from TJS and another injury to start the year. The only thing I’d take from his performance this year is that he’s healthy enough to be on the mound and genuine shock and gratitude that Rick Hahn hasn’t yet tried to save his big league bullpen by calling him up.

So it sounds like this kid is going to need a sound recovery plan from TJ as well as a good amount of development time and coaching to succeed in the bigs ( if he even makes it).  The Sox have no idea what they are doing in either of those areas. 

Even though this trade was only made a few weeks ago, I'm gonna call it a massive failure. The Sox gave up a guy in Burger who is a positive WAR player and gonna jack 30 plus homers this year. 

Rick Hahn strikes again unfortuntaely. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So it sounds like this kid is going to need a sound recovery plan from TJ as well as a good amount of development time and coaching to succeed in the bigs ( if he even makes it).  The Sox have no idea what they are doing in either of those areas. 

Even though this trade was only made a few weeks ago, I'm gonna call it a massive failure. The Sox gave up a guy in Burger who is a positive WAR player and gonna jack 30 plus homers this year. 

Rick Hahn strikes again unfortuntaely. 

The return is the least of my issues with the trade but yeah. I keep hearing the line "sold high!!!" as if it means anything. You got a single minor league pitcher for a quality position player with years of control. Maybe not a poor return but certainly not an overwhelming one. The sold high stuff is just buzzword crap given how little discussion there is on the return itself. Just because you traded a guy while he's having a good year doesn't actually mean you sold high.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1