New MLB Top 100 Prospects - 3 White Sox Prospects On List

almagest

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where is Ramos!?

It's not the HOT list for July, 2023...

Would likely have to have a 900+ OPS...right now at .858 with only 185 at-bats on the season.

Also 21 years old in AA.   Lower than average but not exceptionally so.

The biggest issue seems to remains questions about him ultimately holding up on the defensive side at 3B.   As a DH/1B/possibly 2B, that severely lowers his value (ala Burger).

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Would likely have to have a 900+ OPS...right now at .858 with only 185 at-bats on the season.

The biggest issue seems to remains questions about him ultimately holding up on the defensive side at 3B.   As a DH/1B/possibly 2B, that severely lowers his value (ala Burger).

I have watched Ramos play a lot. No doubt 3b. Not flashy like Moncada, but not Burger ever.  Much better defensively than say Junior Caminero.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He's playing nearly three years under the average age in AA, and like @Timmy Usaid, sticking at third shouldn't be an issue. He's improved a good deal at the hot corner.

• Like 4

Are other new 100 lists out yet ? Besides Quero, our Soxtalk posters were mentioning the pitcher they got for Burger (Jake Eder ) was ( or nearly was) a Top 100 guy . I know people want to justify the trade but Top 100 was jumping the gun wasn't it ?

Seems to me he's not really all that close. He was great in AA in 2021 . TJ surgery and it's now 2023 and he's back in AA but not yet back to where he was in 2021 and hasn't he lost velocity ?

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are other new 100 lists out yet ? Besides Quero, our Soxtalk posters were mentioning the pitcher they got for Burger (Jake Eder ) was ( or nearly was) a Top 100 guy . I know people want to justify the trade but Top 100 was jumping the gun wasn't it ?

Seems to me he's not really all that close. He was great in AA in 2021 . TJ surgery and it's now 2023 and he's back in AA but not yet back to where he was in 2021 and hasn't he lost velocity ?

He was on mlb's Top 100 before he got hurt. Callis definitely super high on him.  I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He looked all the way back in his final start with the Marlins 

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He looked all the way back in his final start with the Marlins 

I know his final 2 starts in AA with the Marlins affiliate were very good. I'm still looking for confirmation that he has less velocity than he did in 2021. He did miss about 22 months between the TJ surgery and a stress fracture in his foot in ST this year.

26 minutes ago, Johno said:

Not sure why Elko is not on the top 30 list.   Also not good to see Jared Kelly is completely off of the top 30 list.   Hopefully this young man can turn it around.

Sox have added 10 guys through trade or the draft to this list in the last 6 weeks.  Guys who were in the 20s are going to fall out. That said, Kelley looks like a 2 pitch reliever with control issues.  His upside is considerably less than the org originally hoped for.

6 hours ago, oldsox said:

Jacob Burke should be higher.

Agreed. I think he gets knocked because he is older but has down well at every level so far. 

Fangraphs did an update as well. Its so interesting some of their takes are way far off of Law and MLB. For example, Korey Lee made there top 80 however Schultz did not. Ramos made their list and is in the top 50 ( they have always been high on him). 

Edgar Quero is getting love from all of the publications which is nice. Lets hope some kind of combination of Hackenberg, Lee and Quero can be an above average catcher combination for the next 6-7 years. 

All of the publications are really high on this draft compared to others. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Johno said:

My point with Jared Kelly is that he was supposed to be a steal draft pick in the second round and after a few years he’s not even a top 30 prospect anymore.  Something is not right about this?

High school pitchers are high risk. 

1 Montgomery, 20 to 16 in mlb top 100

2 Schultz, 100 to 66 in mlb top 100

3 Quero, was in 80s somewhere, now 87 in mlb top 100

4 Jacob Gonzalez, unranked before

5 Jake Eder, was 4 before

6 Nick Nastrini, was 5 before

7 Bryan Ramos, was 6 before

8 Jose Rodriguez, upgrade from 9

9 Ky Bush, downgrade from 7

10 Christan Mena, same at 10

11 Jonathan Cannon, upgrade from 13

12 Peyton Pallette, same at 12

13 Grant Taylor, unranked before

14 Seth Keener, unranked before

15 Sean Burke, downgraded from 8

16 Lenyn Sosa, downgraded from 11

17 George Wolkow, unranked before

18 Korey Lee, was 14 before  

19 Ryan Burrowes, was 15 before

20 Jordan Leasure, upgraded from 27 before

21 Terrell Tatum, upgraded from 26 before

22 Jacob Burke, upgraded from 29 before

23 Wilfred Veras, unranked before

24 Matthew Thompson, downgraded from 18 before

25 Tanner McDougal, was 22 before

26 Loidel Chapelli, upgrade from 28 before

27 Tyler Schweitzer, was 25 before

28 Eric Adler, unranked before

29 Adam Hackenberg, was 30 before 

30 Ronny Hernandez, unranked before

- - -

Players Ranked before in Sox Top 30 that are now unranked:

Norge Vera, was 16

Yoelqui Cespedes, was 17

Jared Kelley, was 19

Wes Kath, was 21

Luis Meises, was 23

Jordan Sprinkle, was 24

3 hours ago, Johno said:

Not sure why Elko is not on the top 30 list.   Also not good to see Jared Kelly is completely off of the top 30 list.   Hopefully this young man can turn it around.

Elko is/was an older first baseman that was playing (mashing) against much younger competition, but striking out nearly 30% of the time. If he continues to mash in Birmingham against age appropriate competition and keep the K% at a reasonable level, I think it's feasible that he would jump on the back half of the top 30 list. His demo just usually isn't all that exciting unless you're an absolute wrecking ball at the plate.

• Like 1

Anyone else start to get a little excited while reading these lists, only to realize you were much more excited about much better prospects during the start of the rebuild and that amounted to nothing? Then you get really depressed and start looking forward to the Bears season?

Asking for a friend. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johno said:

My point with Jared Kelly is that he was supposed to be a steal draft pick in the second round and after a few years he’s not even a top 30 prospect anymore.  Something is not right about this?

It's a few things with Kelley

• As others have said, he was a big risk/big reward guy. He had 12 innings his senior year of baseball - that was it.
  • High school pitcher drafted in the COVID year and post-MiLB reconstruction, so he went straight to affiliate ball. That's stiff competition after a shortened senior season and no "rookie" season.
  • After a rough start and an injury, he rehabbed for 2.2 innings in rookie ball and then went straight back to Kannapolis.
  • Now, they've been using him as a piggy back reliever - so they might not be writing him off entirely as a starter, but trying to build up his innings and confidence in a different way. 

All of that is a long way of saying that he's sad a lot of stumbling blocks, but he's still only 21-years-old.

15 hours ago, Quin said:

It's a few things with Kelley

• As others have said, he was a big risk/big reward guy. He had 12 innings his senior year of baseball - that was it.
  • High school pitcher drafted in the COVID year and post-MiLB reconstruction, so he went straight to affiliate ball. That's stiff competition after a shortened senior season and no "rookie" season.
  • After a rough start and an injury, he rehabbed for 2.2 innings in rookie ball and then went straight back to Kannapolis.
  • Now, they've been using him as a piggy back reliever - so they might not be writing him off entirely as a starter, but trying to build up his innings and confidence in a different way. 

All of that is a long way of saying that he's sad a lot of stumbling blocks, but he's still only 21-years-old.

Excuse my ignorance but after a certain amount of time in an organization do you become Rule 5 eligible or a minor league free agent ? Or do you have to be a certain age  for all of that to take place ? Seems to me HS players drafted  can still be relatively young developmentally and be Rule 5 eligible ?

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Excuse my ignorance but after a certain amount of time in an organization do you become Rule 5 eligible or a minor league free agent ? Or do you have to be a certain age  for all of that to take place ? Seems to me HS players drafted  can still be relatively young developmentally and be Rule 5 eligible ?

Yes but I don't know the specifics.