Travis Swaggerty

CWSpalehoseCWS

22 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Didn’t see this anywhere, but he’s apparently with the Sox now, though there isn’t any confirmation anywhere. He’s got in his bio “Chicago White Sox,” and his wife posted an image of their little girl wearing a Sox shirt. I guess this is a MLB deal?

I believe it'll be a minors deal.

KW collecting all the former first rounders again.

Wikipedia has him with the Sox now.

The Pittsburgh Pirates selected Swaggerty in the first round, with the tenth overall selection, of the 2018 Major League Baseball draft.[14] He signed for $4.4 million and was assigned to the West Virginia Black Bears of the Low-A New York–Penn League, with whom he was named an All-Star.[15]

Edited by caulfield12

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As bad as Hahn is, collecting failed high draft picks isn't a bad strategy. There was a reason they were picked high. The problem is the White Sox don't seem to be able to bring out the best in most players.

It’s a low pressure environment here being around so many other failures. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, almagest said:

Good. Keep cycling through these guys. Drop dead weight in AAA.

Perhaps @Quinor someone else who follows the minor leagues closely can note players the Sox should protect for the Rule 5 draft, but there are a several players the Sox can toss to free up room for next year, plus a few pitchers if push comes to shove.

Departing Free Agents

• Clevinger ($4M Buyout - Please don't keep this guy)
  • Grandal
  • Hendriks ($15M buyout - Unless they take the option / add a 2025 extension)

Expendable Guys

• C. Frazier
  • A. Haseley
  • C. Perez
  • Z. Remillard
  • G. Sheets
  • T. Thompson

That said, I would like to see the Sox add Billy Hamilton to the 40 man in September and call him up for a start or two and proper send off, especially if he plans on retiring after the season.

Dan, not Edgar. RIP Eric Lowen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Perhaps @Quinor someone else who follows the minor leagues closely can note players the Sox should protect for the Rule 5 draft, but there are a several players the Sox can toss to free up room for next year, plus a few pitchers if push comes to shove.

Departing Free Agents

• Clevinger ($4M Buyout - Please don't keep this guy)
  • Grandal
  • Hendriks ($15M buyout - Unless they take the option / add a 2025 extension)

Expendable Guys

• C. Frazier
  • A. Haseley
  • C. Perez
  • Z. Remillard
  • G. Sheets
  • T. Thompson

That said, I would like to see the Sox add Billy Hamilton to the 40 man in September and call him up for a start or two and proper send off, especially if he plans on retiring after the season.

Dan, not Edgar. RIP Eric Lowen.

Of the guys on your 2nd part of the list, that entire roll call can be shitcanned off of any White Sox roster.

Of the guys on your 1st part of the list, I've got some bad news....I'm pretty sure we're going to see Clevinger in the rotation next season. Especially at the price tag he gets. Liam I really don't know what they'll do, and we all know Grandal is off to..........somewhere else, anywhere else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

.I'm pretty sure we're going to see Clevinger in the rotation next season. Especially at the price tag he gets.

I'm hoping he pitches well, at minimum stays healthy, the final two months so that he opts out himself and the Sox pay nothing. After the "Gold Digger" debacle, it's clear he has no contrition or sense of decency, and like Trevor Bauer he is not a human being you want in an organization regardless of on field talents.

I'm only following non-Clevinger starts this year because I'm giving Hahn and the organization the benefit of doubt that their incompetence of not conducting a background check was honest, and hopefully a lesson the organization improves on a go forward. Hahn's comments post trade deadline indicate player character will be prioritized in future transactions give me hope they are earnest.

12 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

As bad as Hahn is, collecting failed high draft picks isn't a bad strategy. There was a reason they were picked high. The problem is the White Sox don't seem to be able to bring out the best in most players.

Well if this is an indicator that they are gonna continue to go with an approach  of throwing a bunch of bodies and question marks at right field, it’s a bad strategy. I’m hoping they have a more serious plan in mind.

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The most productive first rounder that year was Nico Hoerner, #24 pick. 

Yep. Nico Hoerner, Shane McClanahan, Brady Singer, Logan Gilbert and Jonathan India are the Top 5 in bWAR through Monday.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2018&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0