After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

11 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Bob has interviewed Jerry on the record multiple times over the years. Has any other media member conducted interviews with Jerry Reinsdorf the past decade?

Because the last two I recall were Jerry calling in to discuss David Stern immediately after he passed away, and an interview with Carmen De Falco and someone else where Jerry was pissed they asked a question he didn't like, said they weren't going to get a bite out of the apple again.

Bob quoting Jerry:

I guess time will tell if Bob continues to break correct scoops about the White Sox now that Kenny and Rick are both gone, if there is another "leaker" in the organization beyond Jerry.

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Whether or not it’s Getz (plus Moore), there is no way Jerry doesn’t have a guy in mind.  I think we’ll have before mid September.  Whatever “process” there is will be highly compromised by preliminary discussions Jerry has had with someone regarding the role.

Thing is, he’s 87. He’s probably going to pick someone he already knows. At his age, I doubt he will want to conduct much of a search.

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Thing is, he’s 87. He’s probably going to pick someone he already knows. At his age, I doubt he will want to conduct much of a search.

Yup, it feels like it will be a guy he knows or someone highly recommended to him by a person he trusts (cough Tony).  Stealing a promising young GM from another organization doesn’t seem to be his playbook unfortunately.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s a $2 billion business. If he can no longer handle the duties of running it, he should hand it off to someone who can. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Tony La Russa's Schedule for Monday, August 28, 2023

• 6:00 AM - Interview Willie Harris for the GM Job.
  • 6:07 AM - Meet Jerry for Breakfast - Owners Box.

It is worth remembering that Willie Harris wasn’t going to sue if he was given a sham interview for mob boss reasons, he couldn’t afford to burn the bridge to the White Sox if he did want to stay in coaching.

There is a good chance that front office people will be more willing to do that if Reinsdorf tries to use them as a sham way around the Selig rule.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He likely already had someone lined up when the firings happened.  There won’t be a search of any kind or any sort of legitimate process. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He likely already had someone lined up when the firings happened.  There won’t be a search of any kind or any sort of legitimate process. 

Just to stress, if this is the case then  it is flagrant flaunting of the Selig rule. MLB might let him off the hook for it again, but his fans shouldn’t and whoever they use for the sham interview also shouldn’t.

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It is worth remembering that Willie Harris wasn’t going to sue if he was given a sham interview for mob boss reasons, he couldn’t afford to burn the bridge to the White Sox if he did want to stay in coaching.

There is a good chance that front office people will be more willing to do that if Reinsdorf tries to use them as a sham way around the Selig rule.

All that said, at least Reinsdorf was progressive enough in his day to give the likes of Kim Ng (first Asian American female front office exec) and Kenny Williams as well as his son front office/management opportunities.

Then you can also go by religious diversity as well if you wanted to do so.

Not to mention all the Latin American player ambassadors that have remained on the payroll numerous years.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Just to stress, if this is the case then  it is flagrant flaunting of the Selig rule. MLB might let him off the hook for it again, but his fans shouldn’t and whoever they use for the sham interview also shouldn’t.

I’m not saying there won’t be token interviews with a few names, but only for the sake of keeping up appearances.  

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m not saying there won’t be token interviews with a few names, but only for the sake of keeping up appearances.  

I believe it was the Cleveland Browns who got sued for doing this? Or was it the Dolphins?

Anyway, people in front offices who aren’t white should definitely know what is up with this franchise as they’ve played this game before. It wouldn’t be outrageous for them to outright refuse the interview with what we’ve already heard, or to demand some assurance that they are actually being considered rather than used for tokenism. If the White Sox refuse such assurances, take it to the press. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I believe it was the Cleveland Browns who got sued for doing this? Or was it the Dolphins?

Anyway, people in front offices who aren’t white should definitely know what is up with this franchise as they’ve played this game before. It wouldn’t be outrageous for them to outright refuse the interview with what we’ve already heard, or to demand some assurance that they are actually being considered rather than used for tokenism. If the White Sox refuse such assurances, take it to the press. 

Giants.

I don't buy that Jerry is too old to run a real search. The Bulls just hired a couple guys with no ties to the organization, quite possibly guys that Jerry had never heard of at the time he fired GarPax. I know his son is more involved in that organization, but whether this is an internal hire or not probably has nothing to do with Jerry feeling tired by the thought of paying a firm to field job candidates for him.

For now, I'm just going to do my best to resist the urge to get too mad about a thing that hasn't happened yet. There will be plenty of time to get mad later. Hate to say it but my Sox fandom is probably changing either way. My older brother, who I chat with about the Sox near-daily, has decided to check out from baseball. My dad, a fan of the Sox since the South Side Hit Men and another person I talk to about the Sox near-daily, is wondering whether he should defect to the Cardinals. And I'm seeing many people on Twitter etc. saying similar things. Going to get lonely out here in Sox world soon if things don't improve, but for now I'm in no rush to take Bob Nightengale's predictions as 100% truth.

FWIW, hard for me to imagine following another team since I hate so many of them (especially the Cubs/Cards) and I don't really have a local team here in the South where I live now (the Braves are closest, but screw them)

Edited by Jake
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

When Ozzie said he was GM, you could tell he was joking in a "just kidding...but Jerry if you wanna talk...👉👈" manner

Also, building on this, Chuck emphatically declared that even he could build a major league roster based on TWTW because of his time spent in clubhouses as a reporter.

Chuck is fun to listen to, but until this season he carried enough water to fill the Grand Canyon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Also, building on this, Chuck emphatically declared that even he could build a major league roster based on TWTW because of his time spent in clubhouses as a reporter.

Chuck is fun to listen to, but until this season he carried enough water to fill the Grand Canyon.

Yeah I don't find that whole group over there to be very knowledgeable or reliable. Chuck is fine as a reporter because he can get access to people and ask them questions. The rest of those guys on NBCSN, I see them as existing for entertainment purposes only.

• Haha 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP