After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

Will Chris Gets have the balls to answer some questions from fans at Soxfest? That would be an improvement, not much of one I grant you but an improvement.

I am very very curious to see what they do about the starting rotation next season. If Getz or whoever can make that serviceable, that would be a minor miracle imo.

How about Getz announces his own hiring and the extension of the newly acquired Lucas Giolito?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Will Chris Gets have the balls to answer some questions from fans at Soxfest? That would be an improvement, not much of one I grant you but an improvement.

I am very very curious to see what they do about the starting rotation next season. If Getz or whoever can make that serviceable, that would be a minor miracle imo.

How about Getz announces his own hiring and the extension of the newly acquired Lucas Giolito?

That would require SoxFest to actually happen first

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

Were the Sox obligated to interview people for the spot?

Not sure if MLB retired the Selig Rule when he did.

Someone should ask, as if it's still in place, there was likely no other interviews or another sham Willie Harris type interview.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/baseball-teams-making-a-mockery-of-selig-rule-172438377.html

24 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Were the Sox obligated to interview people for the spot?

Are you asking because you don’t know, or somehow being critical of fans that actually would want them to interview multiple candidates? 

• Like 1

I think the issue is even if they did a legit search no truly good candidate would take this job with the given constraints and the likelihood they'd be out when ownership changes which will be soon one way or another.

It's not a recipe for success and therefore it's not a recipe for a 2nd contract.

Only someone clearly not qualified and clearly unable to get a similar job elsewhere would agree to be JRs puppet and be micromanage and therefore here we are with Chris Getz.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You would think for this level of position it would be mandatory. 

The rule still exists but was modified a while ago. They can promote Getz without any other interviews, but they would need to fill his old spot with a "diverse" candidate in exchange, or provide evidence of why that is not possible. Change was made to try to cut back on fake interviews when an internal promotion is already decided on.

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Are you asking because you don’t know, or somehow being critical of fans that actually would want them to interview multiple candidates? 

No, I really thought they were supposed to.

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

You would think for this level of position it would be mandatory. 

Yes.

4 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

The rule still exists but was modified a while ago. They can promote Getz without any other interviews, but they would need to fill his old spot with a "diverse" candidate in exchange, or provide evidence of why that is not possible. Change was made to try to cut back on fake interviews when an internal promotion is already decided on.

Every part of this sucks. They raise someone to an unearned spot, and have to now replace him from an intentionally narrower list of options.

3 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

With KW Jr. supposedly out of the organization...who would that possibly be?

Renteria would be almost appropriate...but his Sox/Cubs bitterness readings must be off the charts.  Someone similar to a Jerry Manuel in the early 2000s to teach the younger players with loads of patience and perseverance. Torborg personality type.

To replace Chris Getz as Director of Minor League Ops is what I'm referring to...hopefully it's not Buddy Bell.

34 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

No, I really thought they were supposed to.

Yes.

Got it, and like others, I really don’t know the answer. But there shouldn’t have to be a rule in place…any competent executive should interview a handful of people, at a minimum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

Every part of this sucks. They raise someone to an unearned spot, and have to now replace him from an intentionally narrower list of options.

I would guess that the concept is if someone is promoted it is because they deserve it. Probably something that happens sometimes in other organizations. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoosierSox said:

Our only hope is Getz is some type of savant and will turn out to be a good GM despite his lack of qualifications.  Chances of that are very low though. Wake me up when the team is sold.

If Getz were a savant, the minor league pipeline wouldn't be trash outside of a small handful of guys.

• Thanks 1

The Dodgers farm director is a fella named Will Rhymes (I'm sure everyone knew that). He's a 41 yr old former player (very similar to Getz).  What would happen if the great Will Rhymes and Chris Getz switched jobs?  Would the Sox consistently have a top rated farm system? Would the Dodgers farm system be consistently hovering near the bottom?  Is Will Rhymes the Dodgers secret weapon?  Is he the difference maker or is there maybe a little more to it?

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Dodgers farm director is a fella named Will Rhymes (I'm sure everyone knew that). He's a 41 yr old former player (very similar to Getz).  What would happen if the great Will Rhymes and Chris Getz switched jobs?  Would the Sox consistently have a top rated farm system? Would the Dodgers farm system be consistently hovering near the bottom?  Is Will Rhymes the Dodgers secret weapon?  Is he the difference maker or is there maybe a little more to it?

Ok, so take the next step here. Finish the thought. What’s the point you’re trying to make?

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You can't say Getz is shitty at developing players the same way you can't say the great Will Rhymes is a development god.  They're both the product of the sytem around them.

So the Sox bad system isn’t entirely Getz’ fault? Thats fair. Is this stated to hint that it won’t be his entirely fault when he sucks as GM because of the constraints placed on him from above?

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP