After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

What Jerry Reinsdorf is doing right now - hiring his buddies through an unfair internal process  run only by him - Jerry Reinsdorf praised baseball for stopping that 10 Years ago because it led to racist outcomes. He was correct in that statement, if a team says they will only hire a guy from the 1980s then all the racism in hiring from the 1980s carries over. If a team refuses to conduct a fair search, it isn’t a coincidence when the guy promoted is a white guy, that’s how it works and how it keeps minorities sidelined.

How many times does he get to hang a “White guy only, no minorities will be considered” sign on a position now before I’m allowed to point out that he’s not supposed to do it once? Before the press calls him out on it? That’s how it works right, he employed a prominent black man so he gets credits for that, he can cash those credits in to do things he personally said were bad. Does he have enough credits for more of these? Has he built up enough for a Donald Sterling video or has he spent too many on these hires? Where do I find that bookkeeping?

With Ken gone there are very few AA execs. 

23 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bruce Levine is pathetic.  This water carrying on the score is just bottom of the barrel stuff

Yeah, that was awful. I get that you gotta toe a certain line if you want access to the team, but that just made me angry. Asking them to name a single available option that would be better? They could’ve rattled off about 50 rather than the two or three pathetic attempts they made.

30 minutes ago, pcq said:

With Ken gone there are very few AA execs. 

So you’re saying that JR fired one of the only AA execs in all of Major League Baseball?! Well, now it’s settled.

6 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Yeah, that was awful. I get that you gotta toe a certain line if you want access to the team, but that just made me angry. Asking them to name a single available option that would be better? They could’ve rattled off about 50 rather than the two or three pathetic attempts they made.

So you’re saying that JR fired one of the only AA execs in all of Major League Baseball?! Well, now it’s settled.

He basically said Getz was the next best thing if you can’t get Theo.  Honestly what does he even provide the score at all, he doesn’t break stories, his call ins are just like this every time where he can’t make a definitive statement

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

He basically said Getz was the next best thing if you can’t get Theo.  Honestly what does he even provide the score at all, he doesn’t break stories, his call ins are just like this every time where he can’t make a definitive statement

Yeah, he brought Epstein up like he was the only candidate that anyone was talking about. MFer, people have brought up dozens of either proven candidates or up-and-comers from other organizations (which is the key that fans truly want).

This sounds incredibly familiar...

"But you cannot look me in the eye and tell me that the front office, as currently constructed, is the best version of the Royals front office.

If it was frustrating to watch the Moore baseball ops administration fail to change with the times, it was equally frustrating to watch, in a golden opportunity, the Royals decline to bring on new talent into key positions in the front office. Instead, the Royals have elected to promote from within and maintain the same group of individuals who presided over the awful situation the club occupies. The result is this list of names of the vice presidents and/or assistant general managers on the baseball operations side of the department and, importantly, when they first joined the front office:

Jin Wong, VP & AGM: 2000

JJ Picollo, EVP & GM: 2006

Scott Sharp, SVP & AGM: 2006

Gene Watson, VP & AGM: 2006

Rene Francisco, SVP & AGM: 2006

Lonnie Goldberg, VP: 2011

Daniel Mack, VP & AGM: 2013

All this losing, and yet you can see that the core leaders in the front office are entirely unchanged from the Moore administration. Indeed, four of them—Picollo, Sharp, Watson, and Francisco—were some of Moore’s very first hires. Goldberg was an old college buddy of Moore and Picollo.

This is not to say that every member of that list deserves to have been fired yesterday. Rather, it’s a snapshot of an organization whose core decision-makers have stayed consistent even after the team’s performance has cratered following a collection of poor baseball decisions made, at least partially, by this group of leaders.

See, it’s not enough to modernize operations and incorporate analytics into a decision-making process. To credit Picollo, he has done just that—the Royals are in a better spot than they were before. Unfortunately, this is a zero sum game: every other team in baseball is trying to do the same. For the Royals to succeed, they need to change processes and improve organizationally faster than other organizations.

Let’s say that Picollo has the correct, optimal vision for the team, which itself is not a given. How are the Royals supposed to be better than other teams with the same people that got them into this mess in the first place? Without any new blood? This is a results-oriented business. The results suck. They suck up and down the organization, objectively, in the kind of way that makes it depressing to look at the next three to five years. And you’re telling me that every member of the baseball operations team right now is doing great at their job? That no other outside talent might do a better job or, God forbid, have a clearer and more objective view of the team?"

https://www.royalsreview.com/2023/8/29/23849863/after-a-season-this-bad-the-front-office-still-needs-shaking-up

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So what time are we thinking this gets announced?  Want to make sure I’m there when Grifol (or whoever the f*** does it) announces the hire.

I’m thinking press release today and Getz speaks to the media in the dugout tomorrow. I’ll be very surprised if there is a press conference or if JR shows his face or even says a single word publicly. 

Just now, hogan873 said:

Getz could gain some instant respect by starting out saying, "Yeah, this s%*# ain't working.  The following people are fired..."

See article above.

He has been around the Sox and Royals...basically the two teams in baseball mired in the worst possible situations that don't even know who to blame or how to fire someone from their staffs due to misguided notions of loyalty and the good 'ol boys club...looking out for each other.

I swear they're going to end up bringing Buddy Bell or Dayton Moore into the fold as Getz's mentor even though he theoretically has to be prepared to hit the ground running...with little else to learn from managing the very worst farm system in the game up until two months ago.

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

He has such tunnel vision for the Cubs that it’s like he has to be reminded that baseball exists outside of Wrigleville.  I’m sure it’s great for the north side echo chamber, but it’s lazy, and he is often nonsensical when he tries to speak on anything outside of that bubble, especially on anything in regards to the other team in Chicago.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This sounds incredibly familiar...

"But you cannot look me in the eye and tell me that the front office, as currently constructed, is the best version of the Royals front office.

If it was frustrating to watch the Moore baseball ops administration fail to change with the times, it was equally frustrating to watch, in a golden opportunity, the Royals decline to bring on new talent into key positions in the front office. Instead, the Royals have elected to promote from within and maintain the same group of individuals who presided over the awful situation the club occupies. The result is this list of names of the vice presidents and/or assistant general managers on the baseball operations side of the department and, importantly, when they first joined the front office:

Jin Wong, VP & AGM: 2000

JJ Picollo, EVP & GM: 2006

Scott Sharp, SVP & AGM: 2006

Gene Watson, VP & AGM: 2006

Rene Francisco, SVP & AGM: 2006

Lonnie Goldberg, VP: 2011

Daniel Mack, VP & AGM: 2013

All this losing, and yet you can see that the core leaders in the front office are entirely unchanged from the Moore administration. Indeed, four of them—Picollo, Sharp, Watson, and Francisco—were some of Moore’s very first hires. Goldberg was an old college buddy of Moore and Picollo.

This is not to say that every member of that list deserves to have been fired yesterday. Rather, it’s a snapshot of an organization whose core decision-makers have stayed consistent even after the team’s performance has cratered following a collection of poor baseball decisions made, at least partially, by this group of leaders.

See, it’s not enough to modernize operations and incorporate analytics into a decision-making process. To credit Picollo, he has done just that—the Royals are in a better spot than they were before. Unfortunately, this is a zero sum game: every other team in baseball is trying to do the same. For the Royals to succeed, they need to change processes and improve organizationally faster than other organizations.

Let’s say that Picollo has the correct, optimal vision for the team, which itself is not a given. How are the Royals supposed to be better than other teams with the same people that got them into this mess in the first place? Without any new blood? This is a results-oriented business. The results suck. They suck up and down the organization, objectively, in the kind of way that makes it depressing to look at the next three to five years. And you’re telling me that every member of the baseball operations team right now is doing great at their job? That no other outside talent might do a better job or, God forbid, have a clearer and more objective view of the team?"

https://www.royalsreview.com/2023/8/29/23849863/after-a-season-this-bad-the-front-office-still-needs-shaking-up

Definitely just feels like learning the wrong lessons from a great org. Braves were able to build an incredible structure and develop talent.

But they had the same breakdown, and then started to change, and now have an incredible structure with new ideas that will develop talent.

Because they honestly judge the results of their outcomes rather than the effort they are putting into it, they have been able to build a class organization that has the exact same constraints on it that the white sox have, and now have blown past those constraints.

This board was obssessed with Alex Anthopolous for years. Oh how much pain could have been avoided if we had a real organization who fired hahn after 2016 and brought him over from his Dodgers gig. I'm even being nice and letting hahn work past 2015.

Go to whitesoxr/whitesox15 hr. agoby 

maicunni

Join

Chris Getz Boycott

"If the Sox name Chris Getz the new VP or GM, I am going to boycott the White Sox as hard as possible. I am not going to any more home or away games. I am not watching them on TV. I am going to unfollow and unsubscribe from every White Sox podcast and social media feed. The last 10 years have been a complete joke. The entire time we were told they knew what they were doing when it was obvious they did not. I am tired of being told tier 3 free agents who sign for $75m or less are a big deal. I am tired of being told it’s a culture thing. I am tired of being told young guys who have never proven anything are stars. Stars do things like hit 40 plus bombs, win 20 games, drive in 100 runs, win gold gloves, bat over 300. The Sox cannot compete in the worst division in baseball where no other franchise is trying to win. My expectations are not that high. They need to bring in a proven baseball mind from a winning organization and let him or her clean house. Rant over."

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, BBaum21 said:

Why does the Chicago skyline in the Getz tweet look like the result of one of my students just being hired to create an Inception-esque vibe?

Well...things are definitely going to be turned upside down.  Just not sure if that's a bad or good thing here.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Why does the Chicago skyline in the Getz tweet look like the result of one of my students just being hired to create an Inception-esque vibe?

Well...things are definitely going to be turned upside down.  Just not sure if that's a bad or good thing here.

What? It was turned upside down a week ago, and now it’s been turned upside down again. And we’re back to where we were.

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP