It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

6 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

The Sox have no chance at competing next year.  It's going to be another miserable year on contrary to what JR thinks.  

I would expect to see Cease, Eloy, and TA traded this off season

JR's idea of competing is not openly rebuilding, so they will be "competing" regardless of W/L record.

He is so bad at this.

5 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

The Sox have no chance at competing next year.  It's going to be another miserable year on contrary to what JR thinks.  

I would expect to see Cease, Eloy, and TA traded this off season

While I agree that competing next year is very unlikely. They seems to think they will compete. And as Cease is the only SP they have on the roster right now that doesn't really suck (Kopech), I don't see Cease being moved.

Getz made a major blunder during the intro press conference where he tied himself to Grifol. He could’ve and should’ve said that Grifol was under review and that a decision would be made after the season, regardless if he planned on keeping him or not but he went out of his way to tie himself to Grifol.

So these losses are tied to Getz. Grifol after all is his handpicked manager because Getz said what he said, these loses are a reflection of him and not Grifol because he endorsed this.

If Getz is smart, he has to see what’s transpiring on the field and fire Grifol as soon as the season is over. The team is horrendous baseball. They have no effort. And Grifol is doing nothing to optimize the talent on roster in the interim or long term. One of the worst managerial jobs I’ve seen in sometime. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Sarava said:

While I agree that competing next year is very unlikely. They seems to think they will compete. And as Cease is the only SP they have on the roster right now that doesn't really suck (Kopech), I don't see Cease being moved.

And Cease has regressed to pre-2021 levels in almost every stat.  He’s at borderline suck.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Getz made a major blunder during the intro press conference where he tied himself to Grifol. He could’ve and should’ve said that Grifol was under review and that a decision would be made after the season, regardless if he planned on keeping him or not but he went out of his way to tie himself to Grifol.

So these losses are tied to Getz. Grifol after all is his handpicked manager because Getz said what he said, these loses are a reflection of him and not Grifol because he endorsed this.

If Getz is smart, he has to see what’s transpiring on the field and fire Grifol as soon as the season is over. The team is horrendous baseball. They have no effort. And Grifol is doing nothing to optimize the talent on roster in the interim or long term. One of the worst managerial jobs I’ve seen in sometime. 

In any other org this wouldn't be a blunder. We'd probably be annoyed and shrug it off, but in other areas of sports that would be the kiss of death to get a public endorsement like that during a clearly awful season.

But with the sox that may as well be a binding contract. Hell...they probably signed him to an extension last night with tears in their eyes, thanking him.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

In any other org this wouldn't be a blunder. We'd probably be annoyed and shrug it off, but in other areas of sports that would be the kiss of death to get a public endorsement like that during a clearly awful season.

But with the sox that may as well be a binding contract. Hell...they probably signed him to an extension last night with tears in their eyes, thanking him.

Fell to their knees in a Joe's Kansas City BBQ.

20 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The big question is going to be how much long term damage they do while trying.

This is a great post. How much wasted money is going to be spent on patches to a 100 loss team with a mirage of competing in 2024/2025? Not to mention the decline in value of whatever assets we could have traded at higher returns.

The only positive I can see is, this team is almost surely a 90+ loss team again next season so maybe they pull the plug on the competing shtick sometime next season. I would be concerned if they had a chance to be middling around 81-81 but they are so bad the rebuild hand will probably be forced.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, T R U said:

This is a great post. How much wasted money is going to be spent on patches to a 100 loss team with a mirage of competing in 2024/2025? Not to mention the decline in value of whatever assets we could have traded at higher returns.

The only positive I can see is, this team is almost surely a 90+ loss team again next season so maybe they pull the plug on the competing shtick sometime next season. I would be concerned if they had a chance to be middling around 81-81 but they are so bad the rebuild hand will probably be forced.

Most of what Getz has been saying indicates they don't expect to compete next year.

49 minutes ago, T R U said:

I'm more worried that they are determined to trade for Salvador Perez, and as a "Face of the Franchise" type guy the Royals will make the White Sox pay more in prospects than he's actually worth based on his contract and performance. 

10 minutes ago, T R U said:

Well they aren't rebuilding either, so what exactly are they doing then?

They're definitely rebuilding. A team that loses 100 games is going through a rebuild. There's gonna be a ton of roster and personnel turnover in the next couple years. Getz is either as delusional as Jerry is, or he's walking a very thin line.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

They're definitely rebuilding. A team that loses 100 games is going through a rebuild. There's gonna be a ton of roster and personnel turnover in the next couple years. Getz is either as delusional as Jerry is, or he's walking a very thin line.

Probably this based on JR's public comments. 

13 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Probably this based on JR's public comments. 

That's my hope. It's also why I think he's been so dodgy around details publicly. No sense in overplaying your hand. We'll see how things go in the offseason, though.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Oklahoma Joes's, to be more precise.

It's a bad rebrand, but it's what they decided upon in 2014 when the original Oklahoma Joe wanted to reopen in Oklahoma, around the time you latched onto KC culture.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Thank you caulfield 

I mean, if anyone supports bad rebrands it should be the guy who coined Drain Duo, right Eduardo?

22 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's a bad rebrand, but it's what they decided upon in 2014 when the original Oklahoma Joe wanted to reopen in Oklahoma, around the time you latched onto KC culture.

I mean, if anyone supports bad rebrands it should be the guy who coined Drain Duo, right Eduardo?

Not only was the Drain Duo a good nickname for the two players, but another fan from realgm asked Doug McDermott what he thought of the nickname during a meet and greet. Doug McDermott said regarding the nickname "I love it" and that it was "clever". His words, not mine. The fan even posted a picture with him and McDermott from the meet and greet/autograph session, so it was legit. I still see people referencing the Drain Duo nickname over there on occasion. 

Edited by ron883
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Not only was the Drain Duo a good nickname for the two players, but another fan from realgm asked Doug McDermott what he thought of the nickname during a meet and greet. Doug McDermott said regarding the nickname "I love it" and that it was "clever". His words, not mine. The fan even posted a picture with him and McDermott from the meet and greet/autograph session, so it was legit. I still see people referencing the Drain Duo nickname over there on occasion. 

Tbh if the players succeeded I could have seen it succeeding.

But McDermott was the White Sox draft pick of the NBA

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm more worried that they are determined to trade for Salvador Perez, and as a "Face of the Franchise" type guy the Royals will make the White Sox pay more in prospects than he's actually worth based on his contract and performance. 

Tow teams trading that are bad everything baseball,  That will be interesting.  Sox somehow still seem to come out losing. 

2 hours ago, almagest said:

But they are bad at it.  Rebuilding needs to be done in scouting and development.  Hopefully spinning that Sox wheel of fortune is gonna pay off.

People can mention teams have went through a few bad years and traded players.  The reality is there are teams who still play that game and continue to lose.   Those are the ones content in drafting, developing, retain coaches who produce the same result.   Under those conditions the prospect humping haul is a myth.

The Sox window of contention is called never.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I lived in Kansas City from 1997 through 2007 (minus one year in Colombia), so I can fairly confidently say the one I always went to west of State Line one in Mission and it was definitely called Oklahoma Joe's by everyone.

At that point, KC Masterpiece was still a thing (they closed their Country Club Plaza restaurant during this period, founder Dr. Rich Davis was on our non-profit BoD) and so were Gates and Arthur Bryant's. 

Words never said about Chris Getz

“He’s somebody you want to work with and you want to work for. He’s somebody that every day challenges the way you think in productive ways,” Arnold said. “He’s going to make any situation better wherever he ends up.

“It’s probably the combination of both EQ and IQ honestly. He has this great feel with people and understanding and relates to a lot of people in a lot of different ways. And then he’s one of the smartest guys in the room at all times.

“That’s a really dangerous combination.”

nypost.com on former Brewers' GM David Stearns
  • Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic