Is Moncada back to being good?

Greg Hibbard

With his back it could go out again, become inflamed again tomorrow. Without surgery it is simply a crap shoot. 

Everything I've seen and read and heard via Garfien et al is that he's part of the clubhouse issues.

I hope he does well next year so the Sox can trade him at the deadline and get something for him. They won't resign him after the 24 season. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Moncada but if he actually has become a good hitter I guess I'd be OK with keeping him. We don't have many big leaguers on the roster and it might be worth keeping him around. I'd love to read an article from somebody explaining plausible ways the Sox could actually be way better next year.

I see no way, but maybe somebody has concrete ideas on how to fix this mess. Obviously it would involve spending money. ... First thing they NEED to do is get rid of Pedro and hire somebody with a name. That means $ however. Somebody like Dusty Baker, a guy like that. I'd even take Maddon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

What kind of player will he be once he gets his money again? The timing seems awfully coincidental.

^^^THIS!!!!!^^^

The front office that enabled this is gone.  There is no trade debt anymore.  The money for him runs out next year and there are no guarentees after next year.  If he suddenly becomes a great player then we know he is just motivated by money.  It wasn't injury or covid it was conviction. Let someone else pay him then, because he will revert the minute he gets the bag again.  There has been plenty of players who have suddenly turned it on during their walk year and then reverted.  

10 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

^^^THIS!!!!!^^^

The front office that enabled this is gone.  There is no trade debt anymore.  The money for him runs out next year and there are no guarentees after next year.  If he suddenly becomes a great player then we know he is just motivated by money.  It wasn't injury or covid it was conviction. Let someone else pay him then, because he will revert the minute he gets the bag again.  There has been plenty of players who have suddenly turned it on during their walk year and then reverted.  

Obviously I'm finished with him on the 2025 White Sox...but worth considering that even if he has a good year next year his likely contract after his 22-23 seasons will be a 1 year deal, maybe with an option in there or a qualifying offer at the end. Even the White Sox under Hahn didn't sign guys coming off 2 straight seasons of <1 WAR to multi year deals, they get 1-year prove it deals. 

He might have some danger in following a Rodon-like path, a good 24, a good 25 on a 1 year deal, then someone signs him for multiple years at age 30 and that's where it bites them.

38 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

With his back it could go out again, become inflamed again tomorrow. Without surgery it is simply a crap shoot. 

Everything I've seen and read and heard via Garfien et al is that he's part of the clubhouse issues.

I hope he does well next year so the Sox can trade him at the deadline and get something for him. They won't resign him after the 24 season. 

It's so bizarre that it seems like they intentionally didn't try to trade away any of the clubhouse problems that we've heard about.  It's like they actively went out of their way to trade anyone that was likeable instead.  Garbage franchise. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Very true.  Though they dumped Burger for nothing, so I would assume they could have done the same for some of the other idiots

Eder is widely considered one of the best 10 LHSP prospects in the game.  He'll probably be a top 100 prospect early next season. 

His numbers have been bad this year, but he's coming off TJS.  Let's wait until we see what he looks like next season before we write him off as nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Eder is widely considered one of the best 10 LHSP prospects in the game.  He'll probably be a top 100 prospect early next season. 

His numbers have been bad this year, but he's coming off TJS.  Let's wait until we see what he looks like next season before we write him off as nothing. 

Um, no he won't. Not after his performance this year.

If he comes out blazing next year (and the White Sox don't do their usual thing where they call him up to save the bullpen), he might be by the middle of the year. Literally no one is going to look at his performance this year and think "This is a guy I'm going to put on my early season prospect lists with a big boost over last year".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Um, no he won't. Not after his performance this year.

If he comes out blazing next year (and the White Sox don't do their usual thing where they call him up to save the bullpen), he might be by the middle of the year. Literally no one is going to look at his performance this year and think "This is a guy I'm going to put on my early season prospect lists with a big boost over last year".

Ok, mid next season.  Whatever.  He's a big time LHP prospect coming off TJS.  His results this year are pretty irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Obviously I'm finished with him on the 2025 White Sox...but worth considering that even if he has a good year next year his likely contract after his 22-23 seasons will be a 1 year deal, maybe with an option in there or a qualifying offer at the end. Even the White Sox under Hahn didn't sign guys coming off 2 straight seasons of <1 WAR to multi year deals, they get 1-year prove it deals. 

He might have some danger in following a Rodon-like path, a good 24, a good 25 on a 1 year deal, then someone signs him for multiple years at age 30 and that's where it bites them.

Benintendi cumulatively put up 3.1 fWAR for 2019/20/21.

Of course he's now shockingly at 0.3 when you subtract him from the Yankees.

Would say Moncada is the third or fourth worst contract right now with the Sox, wouldn't argue folks saying Pedro, Eloy or Leury are worse.

1. ??? for 3+ More Years of Chris Getz f*** you as always Jerry Reinsdorf.
  2. $66.4M 4 More Years of Andrew Benintendi (Rick Hahn's last f*** You To White Sox Fans - Burger trade was Kenny Williams')
  3. $24M + $5M buyout Yoan Moncada (He was a solid to excellent value covering 2019-2021 $0.6M 2019, $1M 2020, $6M 2021 + $4M signing bonus)
  4. $13M for 2024 + $6M for 2025/2026 Buyouts for Eloy - $19M minimum for an absolutely worthless DH who can't stay healthy and can't produce.
  5. $5.5M Leury Garcia f*** you La Russa and Hahn.
  6. $?M for 2 more years of Pedro Grifol Royals Suck, Sox Royals Suck More
  7. $15M Liam Hendriks (Cancer sucks, UCL and Sox FO and Trainers suck worse).
  8. $4M Mike Clevinger to go away - Domestic Violence Hotline in Illinois is 1 800-799-7233 (799-SAFE). Illinois Child Abuse Hotline is 1-800-252-2873. (25-ABUSE)
  9. $5.5M 2024 + $2.5M for 2025/2026 Buyouts for Aaron Bummer What could have been. Remember, relievers are fungible.
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would say Moncada is the third or fourth worst contract right now with the Sox, wouldn't argue folks saying Pedro, Eloy or Leury are worse.

1. ??? for 3+ More Years of Chris Getz f*** you as always Jerry Reinsdorf.
  2. $66.4M 4 More Years of Andrew Benintendi (Rick Hahn's last f*** You To White Sox Fans - Burger trade was Kenny Williams')
  3. $24M + $5M buyout Yoan Moncada (He was a solid to excellent value covering 2019-2021 $0.6M 2019, $1M 2020, $6M 2021 + $4M signing bonus)
  4. $13M for 2024 + $6M for 2025/2026 Buyouts for Eloy - $19M minimum for an absolutely worthless DH who can't stay healthy and can't produce.
  5. $5.5M Leury Garcia f*** you La Russa and Hahn.
  6. $?M for 2 more years of Pedro Grifol Royals Suck, Sox Royals Suck More
  7. $15M Liam Hendriks (Cancer sucks, UCL and Sox FO and Trainers suck worse).
  8. $4M Mike Clevinger to go away - Domestic Violence Hotline in Illinois is 1 800-799-7233 (799-SAFE). Illinois Child Abuse Hotline is 1-800-252-2873. (25-ABUSE)
  9. $5.5M 2024 + $2.5M for 2025/2026 Buyouts for Aaron Bummer What could have been. Remember, relievers are fungible.

Only another $140-150 million to go....but the majority across just three players.

Clevinger in some ways might be the most interesting case because there are so many sides to it.  

On 9/14/2023 at 3:36 PM, soulfly said:

It's so bizarre that it seems like they intentionally didn't try to trade away any of the clubhouse problems that we've heard about.  It's like they actively went out of their way to trade anyone that was likeable instead.  Garbage franchise. 

Lucas, Burger and Lopez were likeable. Graveman was OK, not here very long.

Kelly, Lynn and Middleton are douchebags. So glad they are gone, wish someone bit on Clevinger.