ESPN ranked White Sox season #30 last in MLB with an F ranking.

hankchifan

I mean, it makes sense.

We knew Fischer was gonna Major League his team.

We didn't know Kenny and Hahn would make moves separately, get fired, the next GM would be internal, a team expected to contend for the division would COMPLETELY bottom out, Cease would collapse, Tim would be horrid thanks to Hanser Alonso's defense (i.e., preventable), Liam would get cancer, Sox fans would get shot, Pedro would be Boylen/Trestman 2.0, Middleton would be so ready to leave he'd shave his beard, our best pitcher would have domestic abuse lingering over him, rumors of a move to Nashville AND we're not even guaranteed a top pick.

Basically, Sox fans are Mrs. Lincoln being asked if she enjoyed the play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 3

While the Sox are underachievers in terms of Pennants and World Series, it's seldom (six seasons) the Sox finish in dead last in the American League, including this season. The White Sox finished with the worst overall record across The MLB in three of the six seasons (1931, 1948, 1970).

Seasons the White Sox finished dead last in the American League:

• 1948 51-101-2 .336 44 1/2 GB
  • 1970 56-106-0 .346 42 GB (A. L. West, 52 GB Overall)
  • 1934 53-99-1 .349 47 GB
  • 1931 56-97-3 .366 51 1/2 GB
  • 1976 64-97-0 .398 25 1/2 GB (A. L. West, 34 GB Overall)
  • 1924 66-87-1 .431 25 1/2 GB

ESPN is right on the money, the 1970 White Sox would beat the crap out of the 2023 White Sox. I hate this bunch so much that at 78 years old I’m willing to risk another rebuild so I don’t ever have to see most of the clowns on this poor excuse of a MLB team ever again in White Sox uniforms.

• Like 5

Thank goodness they got an F and are being called out. The White Sox are doing a great job in only one regard: Turning longtime multi decade "lifelong fans" into people who no longer care about their passion, White Sox baseball. They've turned many many fans into front runners. It used to be we loved our Sox thru thick and thin. Now ... wake us up when you actually have gotten your bleep together and have a contender.

Worst season in Sox history with little hope for the rest of the decade. Thanks Sox (sarcastic) ... you made me not care. They make no effort to keep one likeable player in Abreu and then for some reason trade the semi-loveable Burger whose name truly fit that pudgy loveable face.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It’s not just that we are the worst team compared to expectations. The Sox are the worst team in baseball right now and by a wide margin.

If the season were to start today they might be as bad as the 1962 Mets who went 40-120, worst team in my lifetime.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Highland said:

For me as a fan, this has been the worst season. Not just from the win-loss viewpoint. It is hard to be optimistic. It is hard to imagine a winning season in the near future.

I thought they were a 70ish win team coming into the season.

That said, if you would have told me in March they would fire Hahn and things would possibly be worse afterward, I would be upset.

I’m skeptical of success under Jerry’s tutelage, but all of this (performance, tanking trades for not much back, current player talent level throughout the organization, continued poor first round draft picks, guns stashed in fat folds, alleged domestic violence against women and infants, a possibly worse GM than Hahn with no job search) has to effect every Sox fan, whether they are naturally optimistic, pessimistic, or somewhere in between.

I think that’s why so many want 100 losses, to remember and mark this as (hopefully) the last worst possible Sox season imaginable in their lifetime.

I think it's hard to put the White Sox below the Mets or Padres, especially the Mets and their con artist owner. The Sox and Cardinals were worse than everybody thought, but in retrospect there's nothing surprising about their underperformance. It was a bad combination of bad, overpaid players. The not-Dodgers and not-Yankees were gilded losers and deserve far more scrutiny. The Mets are a worse team, were more overhyped to begin the season and, as far as I can tell, Steve Cohen is a bigger asshole than the other guy, but the Padres are stuck paying their losers for the next decade and have to make decisions on Snell and Soto. At least the Mets got rid of their most overpaid losers and turned them into maybe-good players. The Padres might also still make the playoffs, I don't know why they'd publish this article now instead of waiting literally a week.  

Anyway, the front office turmoil should be viewed as a positive for the Sox, it's a good thing that those guys got fired even if Getz isn't the 'right guy'. Not to mention, that fat fold   shooting mystery is arguably the funniest thing I've ever heard about happening at a baseball game and ultimately baseball is about entertainment so that should be reflected in the rankings. 

60-98? Wow. Who would have thought the team will lose 100 games and only win 60 or 61.

Couple of comments. ...

-- Despite the lack of talent on the team, Pedro must be let go after the final game of the season. Give him a trophy for having to coach this oft-injured, bad fundamental bunch. But he needs to go far away. It's INEXCUSABLE to let him stay after an 100 loss season. Cmon. This is Bevington-ish.

-- Sox must SOMEHOW win trades for Anderson, Moncada and Eloy and Cease. The future of the team depends on it. Next year figures to be a 50-win season. The year after, if the Sox get good players in those trades and actually sign some GOOD free agents, the team could be .500 by 2016 and maybe a winner after that. I see no way this club is anything but awful in 2014, 2015. It might show a little progress in 2016, like maybe finish 8-10 under .500. 2017 better be a winner.

Bring in Joe Maddon for gawd sakes. Somebody like Dusty Baker. Anybody but Pedro. Why would you want Pedro to coach the abysmal teams of 2014 and 2015? Bring in somebody the baseball world respects. Get Francona to un-retire. Wish we could get Rob Thomson. 

Edited by greg775
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

38 minutes ago, greg775 said:

60-98? Wow. Who would have thought the team will lose 100 games and only win 60 or 61.

Couple of comments. ...

-- Despite the lack of talent on the team, Pedro must be let go after the final game of the season. Give him a trophy for having to coach this oft-injured, bad fundamental bunch. But he needs to go far away. It's INEXCUSABLE to let him stay after an 100 loss season. Cmon. This is Bevington-ish.

-- Sox must SOMEHOW win trades for Anderson, Moncada and Eloy and Cease. The future of the team depends on it. Next year figures to be a 50-win season. The year after, if the Sox get good players in those trades and actually sign some GOOD free agents, the team could be .500 by 2016 and maybe a winner after that. I see no way this club is anything but awful in 2014, 2015. It might show a little progress in 2016, like maybe finish 8-10 under .500. 2017 better be a winner.

Bring in Joe Maddon for gawd sakes. Somebody like Dusty Baker. Anybody but Pedro. Why would you want Pedro to coach the abysmal teams of 2014 and 2015? Bring in somebody the baseball world respects. Get Francona to un-retire. Wish we could get Rob Thomson. 

We can go back to 2016 and NOT trade Tatis for Shields again...

Sox fans are missing entire decades of competitive baseball the time's flying by so quickly.

Wouldn't expect a truly competitive team until at least 2026-27.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Couple of comments. ...

This post Is like a Twilight Zone episode. Greg traveled through time to warn us of the pending doom of the mid 2010s White Sox.