Fegan writes "coaching changes..."

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

One thing is for sure, if the rumors/reports of massive changes to the coaching staff are true, if (when) the Sox get off to a miserable start next year there aren't any "fall guys" left...save for one...Pedro.

I get that, and I mentioned it a while back, but if they next year fire Pedro, which seems at least 95% likely, the fans who knew he was no good now aren't going to give them any credit for it. Fire Pedro. Bring someone else in. Fans won't expect wins right away, and if somehow it happens, the front office bought itself credibility. 

Edited by Dick Allen

On the bright side....
You think going from 81-61 wins is bad?
10 years ago, a first-year manager took the Sox from 85 wins to 63 wins. And that's before he made 2 of the worst 21st Century trades in all of MLB baseball.  And that manager was much more intractable than this manager.
While Pedro shouldn't be anywhere near this operation, he'll be gone soon enough.  Sox don't have a 10 year anchor like we did a decade ago.

Not giving Gavin Sheets another at bat at the major league level would be a significan step in the right direction. How someone that bad has gotten that many at bats is beyond me.  You can say the same for some of the other negative WAR guys on the squad, Grandal & Tim Anderson as well. With Tim - I get that he was awful so maybe you get a bounce back, but he was really awful.  Grandal we know is gone.  

Colas I can at least understand giving AB's to cause he's young and has some tools - but even than - when you look at the # of at bats given to guys who clearly were no good - it is just staggering:

- Sheets

- Grandal

- Injured Moncada (I'm differentiating injured Yoan vs. healthy Yoan).  

Than you add in young players and or players who had really bad season(s), where I will seperate them from the above.  

Tim Anderson 

Lenyn Sosa

Oscar Colas

Romy Gonzalez Zach Remillard

Hanser Alberto

Korey Lee 

Trayce Thompson

Adam Hasely 

Clint Frazier

Bottom line - the Sox gave a heck of a lot of playing time to really really bad players - shocker - they lost 101 games. 

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Getz: "The previous regime stuck us with a lot of bad draft picks that weren't properly developed."

He's actually got something of a problem with trying to do this, because even if it's true, he took the job with the instruction that he was going to "Win soon" and he clearly wasn't willing to dispel the owner of that notion prior to agreeing to take the job. This is the part where if he was better prepared for the position, he'd absolutely know he can't have the owner thinking that or telling the press that because it's not reasonable, but he allowed it to happen.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

I understand why no one has any confidence in anything this organization does, but if what Lip says is true and they entirely dismiss many of these "White Sox Way" lifers in the next few weeks, I doubt it is just to appease the fans. Coupled with the departure of Hahn/Williams, it could be the most major overhaul in the history of this ownership. I am not saying Getz is the solution or that they will do a good job picking the next staff, but I am not sure it can get much worse.

So, I can live with Grifol another season if they bring in talented coaches and evaluators from outside the dysfunctional White Sox family. Grifol's work at the ML level is the least concern with the number of other problems the org has from the ground up.

They should fire him now. No coaches will want to come here when they know he's the only one left from the carnage of this season. Sure let's hop on board the sinking ship with the only remaining guy who captained it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MEANS said:

They should fire him now. No coaches will want to come here when they know he's the only one left from the carnage of this season. Sure let's hop on board the sinking ship with the only remaining guy who captained it.

They can just promote internally without conducting professional interviews. As long as the guy tells you he'll be good at the job and that there's nothing to fix, he's worth hiring, that's the rule we used for the GM. 

I don’t buy for a second there will be that many changes.  Hassler and Boston are obviously gone, but most of the other guys outside of Katz were Grifol hires.  What kind of message does it send if he fires a bunch of guys he hired after year one when he gets to stick around?  Who would actually sign up to be their replacements?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t buy for a second there will be that many changes.  Hassler and Boston are obviously gone, but most of the other guys outside of Katz were Grifol hires.  What kind of message does it send if he fires a bunch of guys he hired after year one when he gets to stick around?  Who would actually sign up to be their replacements?

About a thousand guys

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No one worth a damn is signing with the White Sox after last year.  Grifol is a complete joke and it’s painfully obvious to anyone who hears him speak.

They can get guys desperate for jobs, but one year, and basically the entire coaching staff gets cleaned out, and a guy who everyone knows will be fired probably within a year, is going to be a hard sell for quality coaches who have shown their worth. That's why if you want a quality coaching staff, you need to bring in a new manager. Look for more KC castaways.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They can get guys desperate for jobs, but one year, and basically the entire coaching staff gets cleaned out, and a guy who everyone knows will be fired probably within a year, is going to be a hard sell for quality coaches who have shown their worth. That's why if you want a quality coaching staff, you need to bring in a new manager. Look for more KC castaways.

Or just castaways in general. Probably guys that have been around for a good amount of time in crappy organizations, likely in lower-level coaching positions. Guys that have impressed no one, but have put in their time. s%*#, look at Grifol. He was in a worthless spot for the Royals as the bullpen coach and they eventually bumped him up to bench coach when they became a terrible team again. Look for moves like that from the Sox. The Rockies third base coach, the A’s first base coach, the Angels AA head coach, etc.

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is so hilariously spot on. The season was a disaster Pedro, what are you going to do? Well, I need to replace all these bums I hired. lol.

Im sorry, but there is no justification what so ever to bring back a manager that lost 100 games in a season where the organization expected to contend. It just can't happen. Especially when they are about to go out and lose 90-100 again next season, and Pedro will almost surely be fired when that happens. Its a waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll say this kinda for where my head is at - not that people care. 

I really don't care that much about the ML level next year. 

Getz can perk my ear up if he substantially builds out his minor league operation. That he has a real outside AGM is cool, but it's GOOD he's also gonna bring out a farm director. But I want a lot more out of that whole group, more people to the oversight level, more people to implement the changes and communicate it to the players. There is no point acting like the future of enjoyment for us will be on the major league level next year. Sorry to Lenyn, Carlos :(

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

One thing is for sure, if the rumors/reports of massive changes to the coaching staff are true, if (when) the Sox get off to a miserable start next year there aren't any "fall guys" left...save for one...Pedro.

Or maybe the players. They may have contributed to the poor season. 

• Hawk 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Salvy Perez as player-coach?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They wouldn't be held responsible until the trade deadline. If (when) the Sox get off to a bad start next year you can't trade the team in May...you can fire the manager by Memorial Day (a la Gene Lamont) and frankly that is what I expect to happen.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2023/10/3/23901805/daryl-boston-jose-castro-out-as-white-sox-coaches

Edited by Lip Man 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

We are going to control both sides of the ball. 

I was really excited when Pedro said that....He accomplished none ot the things he said he would accomplish. Yes, blame the players, they deserve it, but he does too. If you have more experience in the big leagues playing than Pedro has managing, you can do whatever you want. If it's the same or less, he will try to be the tough guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The only good thing about getting him is it will keep them from rushing the kid. His below .300 OBP will fit right in. Might as well pay up for a 0.5 bWAR.

They're going to trade something of value rather than a lottery ticket and I hate it. 

The Royals should be eating money for a bag of heavily used baseballs in return. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly