MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Wasn't that Burdi to rush to the bullpen (Hahn was successful in that effort).
Collins who would be quick to the majors at a needed position.
Etc. etc.  1 high school player signed in the entire draft.

Yup, Burdi was going to be on the same path as Sale and Fulmer, they drafted a college reliever in the first round because they needed help that season.

And this draft was loaded. Just looking at pitchers, guys who went after Burdi include Gallen, Dustin May, Lozardo, Lodolo, Burnes, and Bieber. Maybe they don’t switch to any of them, but they had lots of other chances.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

The writing was on the wall when Getz commented about improving defense

Who in the world is the SS going to be?  Like I can see an argument for declining Tim’s option, but pretty terrifying to go into the off-season with holes at both SS & 2B with this free agent class.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Who in the world is the SS going to be?  Like I can see an argument for declining Tim’s option, but pretty terrifying to go into the off-season with holes at both SS & 2B with this free agent class.

I see them signing some cheap defensive short stop like Isiah Kiner-Falefa. Someone who will be cheap but can be a stop gap until they get Montgomery more seasoned 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The team is not going to be good. They are going into a season with a rotation of Cease, Kopech (for now) Scholtens and Touki. It doesn’t matter who your SS and 2B are at this point 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

The team is not going to be good. They are going into a season with a rotation of Cease, Kopech (for now) Scholtens and Touki. It doesn’t matter who your SS and 2B are at this point 

I don’t believe the Sox can be good next year, but it sure seems like they plan to half-ass “go for it” in the off-season to appease Reinsdorf.  I just don’t see how a player as bad as Dejong fits into even a half-ass approach unless they expect Colson to be ready fairly early into the season.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sad thing is the organization thinks the fan base will be super excited by this.  Funniest part of last year was when they leaked they were interested in him the same day the Clev story broke.

It's a dumpster fire.  If Getz can get rid of the turds and turn the roster over it will be a successful off season.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And by the way, I don’t think your prediction is crazy or even unlikely, just would be a very frustrating addition.

I think most of the additions will be very frustrating as I believe they are punting on 2024 knowing they have no shot right now but will try to appease Sox fans and Jerry by signing 1-2 year stop gap veterans to plug their holes on the cheap until they get some talent back on the roster 

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sad thing is the organization thinks the fan base will be super excited by this.  Funniest part of last year was when they leaked they were interested in him the same day the Clev story broke.

He’d be a terrible addition but a typical Whitesoxy / TLR move 

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I may just take a year off from White Sox baseball.  If Delong is part of their plan, then I want nothing to do with this team until the old man is gone.

Yea, when the season ended I thought I couldn't be more disgusted or care less about this organization. I was wrong and I am!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d go with Brandon Crawford myself. Bat sucks but glove is still great and if Colson pushes his way onto the roster, Crawford is easy enough to push aside. Also seems like the type of guy that the clubhouse could use. 

I am also assuming the Sox keep TA and put him at 2B. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Adam Frazier would be an ok signing for 2B right? I think I prefer him to Merrifield (who they probably will end up signing).

Okay in the sense that you might get to 70 wins if you pilled out the roster with Frazier equivalents at each position…but not sure what the upside is at his age and stage of career.

Better just to throw guys like Sosa, Romy, Remillard out there.  And see where Gonzalez is another year from now.

Otherwise, just trade someone like Jimenez for Jake Cronenworth and serious cash in order to basically move on from everyone but Luis Robert and Colson and maybe Vaughn for 2025.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, Chisoxfn said:

This is spot on.  We can argue the return for Burger, but the logic to move him and get depth in other places was there.  I always said you had to get value if you moved him, but that was based upon where if Burger made some strides in certain areas - he would have been a pretty valuable cost controlled player. 

The inverse was - he didn't make those changes and regressed slightly and/or had another injury, in which case you had a chance to get asset(s) for him and ended up with nothing.   

Burger's home run totals were amazing (for 10-15 years ago before everybody went to lift and pull). Any way we can get him back via trade? I'd love a team of Salvy catcher, Votto 1B, timmy second, mike massey ss and Burger 3B. Get Massey in the Salvy deal. And build from there. I don't want Nicky L. Is there any way we could get guys 'like' a Greinke to start for the team? That'd be funny if the Sox went to all veterans for a year or two til they get some prospects ready. I wouldnt discount Elvis being back. Hell, stick him in the outfield.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Burger's home run totals were amazing (for 10-15 years ago before everybody went to lift and pull). Any way we can get him back via trade? I'd love a team of Salvy catcher, Votto 1B, timmy second, mike massey ss and Burger 3B. Get Massey in the Salvy deal. And build from there. I don't want Nicky L. Is there any way we could get guys 'like' a Greinke to start for the team? That'd be funny if the Sox went to all veterans for a year or two til they get some prospects ready. I wouldnt discount Elvis being back. Hell, stick him in the outfield.

One of the many things that has always amazed me about you is the belief MLB is only played within the central time zone, and anyone that plays for teams on the coasts don’t exist. 

• Haha 1

To me, 2024 is the year to put Sosa and Colas out there and find out whether or not they're for real.

Struggle through a .150 April? So what, keep playing them.

Start Montgomery in AAA and bring him up midseason if he's crushing it.

Trade Eloy if you can get anything for him.

Put all your free agent dollars this offseason into pitching. Figure out what positions you need to upgrade next offseason.

• Like 2