State of the Sox: Obvious to Everyone

MysterySource5000

I was perusing the Athletic’s top 40 Free Agents and their predictions for contracts and lists of teams that would be best fit for each one.

First of all, they didn’t match ONE with the White Sox.  Everyone knows that we are not a serious organization.  Even a beginning of the off-season piece.

Secondly, Lucas Giolito is the 13th best free agent?  There is zero hope for 2024.  It is nice expectations are clearly set.

https://theathletic.com/5008102/2023/10/31/mlb-free-agents-2023-contract-team-predictions/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by MysterySource5000
  • Like 1

They're clearly in a rebuild. I'm not saddened by Getz's moves, so far. Pretty much everyone is expecting Getz to grab 2-3 bounce back candidates, and load up AAA for the rotation. We're already settling for Andrus as our SS, and letting it ride with Lenyn Sosa at 2B. 

I'm actually curious for the first time in a couple of years what path the Sox are going to take. Blow it up, or patch in a couple of rookies who failed in their 1st or 2nd tries? 

Rebuild is the wrong term. To rebuild, you are trying to reconstruct something that was already there. 

This is a start from scratch. It won't work because Jerry is the owner, among other reasons, but there is no core, very little to trade, and a FO that doesn't seem to take winning seriously. What's left? 

Pain. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Seems pretty simple, just sign Ohtani, Yamamoto, Montgomery, Snell, Bellinger, Hader, and Hernandez and this team is not a disaster.

Oh, wait, Jerry Reinsdorf is the owner? 50 wins, here we come.

Honestly, 50 wins is not out of the question.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:23 PM, Tony said:

Rebuild is the wrong term. To rebuild, you are trying to reconstruct something that was already there. 

This is a start from scratch. It won't work because Jerry is the owner, among other reasons, but there is no core, very little to trade, and a FO that doesn't seem to take winning seriously. What's left? 

Pain. 

On 11/2/2023 at 12:17 PM, JoeC said:

They just need 3 or 4 starters, 3 or 4 bullpen arms, a few defensive upgrades (at LF, RF, SS, 1B, and C), and like 7 upgrades on offense (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, RF). Plus a good coaching staff and medical staff.

Other than that, they're right there.

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Honestly, 50 wins is not out of the question.

Roberts played in 145 games last year.  That is an aberration for him.

He was 98 and 68 the two previous years and always banged up in the minors.

If/when he goes down and Cease is hurt or traded 50 wins seems highly likely.

Unless they did the smart thing and do another “The kids can play”.  At least you would have a bunch of guys actually trying.

I don’t think Grifol could pull that off, though.

9 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Seems pretty simple, just sign Ohtani, Yamamoto, Montgomery, Snell, Bellinger, Hader, and Hernandez and this team is not a disaster.

Oh, wait, Jerry Reinsdorf is the owner? 50 wins, here we come.

honestly if they did that I would still put us at like 75 wins.

38 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

and with the new rules, tanking and winning 50 games next year won't even guarantee the Sox a top 3 draft pick, correct? 

Correct. If they pick in the top 6 this upcoming draft (via lottery), the highest they can pick in the 1st round the following year will be 11th. The Nationals are currently in this situation.

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Correct. If they pick in the top 6 this upcoming draft (via lottery), the highest they can pick in the 1st round the following year will be 11th. The Nationals are currently in this situation.

Yes, the best case scenario is the Sox lose the lottery, as the 2025 lottery selections are projected to be better.

Also allows say a 5% chance of new ownership group, GM, scouting and player development in place by July 2025.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:59 AM, SonofaRoache said:

For the 1st time in my life I just don't care anymore. This owner ruined baseball and basketball for me. 

On 11/4/2023 at 7:55 PM, baseball_gal_aly said:

Bears are rapidly approaching this territory. 

100% agree.  I've never felt this despondent about Sox/baseball.  I always found SOMETHING to look forward to.  Now, I don't even watch baseball anymore.  It's ruined.  Bears aren't much better, agreed, but at least I still enjoy watching other NFL games. 

There are greater tragedies in the world, no doubt, but my sports life is miserable.  Wake me up when Jerry and Virginia are gone. (or the entire McCaskey family, actually)

2 minutes ago, Getupstretch39 said:

100% agree.  I've never felt this despondent about Sox/baseball.  I always found SOMETHING to look forward to.  Now, I don't even watch baseball anymore.  It's ruined.  Bears aren't much better, agreed, but at least I still enjoy watching other NFL games. 

There are greater tragedies in the world, no doubt, but my sports life is miserable.  Wake me up when Jerry and Virginia are gone. (or the entire McCaskey family, actually)

It’s basically only enjoying Luis Robert Jr. and/or hoping he avoids another career-threatening injury before he can be traded for optimal value at some point this year or next.

Which will just piss off about 2/3rd’s or 75% of the remaining fanbase in the first place due to collective overall skepticism.

Didn’t take long for NorthSiders to strike and dump “legend” Ross and hire a real major manager league manager in Craig Counsell…and the SouthSiders stuck with the dugout KC whatshisname and the former KC never whiz kid now Sox GM Getz…JR and Ricketts Family both have the money but obviously don’t share the vision for success and future of these two Chicago historic teams….